Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genesis carbon frames - thoughts?

Options
  • 18-12-2018 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

As above I'm familiar with Genesis steel frames but have a BTW in January and I'm tempted to purchase a Genesis Zero carbon. Anyone here with any thoughts on them, good bad or indifferent?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

As above I'm familiar with Genesis steel frames but have a BTW in January and I'm tempted to purchase a Genesis Zero carbon. Anyone here with any thoughts on them, good bad or indifferent?

TIA

One of my club mates is training and racing on one with Ultegra and loves it. He's racing at A2 level and keeping his head above water.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Frankirish wrote: »
    One of my club mates is training and racing on one with Ultegra and loves it. He's racing at A2 level and keeping his head above water.

Thanks for that, especially at a higher level than I'd be aspiring to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I have one... love it :) it’s my good bike so doesn’t get out much! But when it does it really flies.
    The zero frame is the exact same frame the pros use I believe.
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I have one... love it :) it’s my good bike so doesn’t get out much! But when it does it really flies.
    The zero frame is the exact same frame the pros use I believe.
    Marty.

Thanks Marty. Yes, I believe it's the same frame. Can't speak highly enough of their steel frames, having owned 2 (still have 1) but this would be the first Genesis carbon and also my first disc frame!

Reckon I'll pull the trigger, thanks both

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

I have been running 2 of their carbon disc frames for CX this season.

The upsides:
    • They ride well, and are very comfortable both on and off road.
    • They size up quite long in the reach, compared to some other brands.
    • They seem very strong, and they are very light.
    • Everyone who sees them gives me complements (oooh what a lovely bike).

Some issues:
    • The carbon paint job gets marked and scratched very easily (compared to my old carbon ridley). Regular waxing helps prevent this.
    • A few of the fixings became loose during races (bottle bosses, cable guides etc) . Some of these ended up inside the frame rattling around. Fixed with threadlocker after removing the offending bits.
    • The spacing on the fork disc brake mounts was off by a 2mm on one of the bikes. Fixed by filing the shimano mount to realign the disc. A bit of a pain.

Yes I would buy them again, but their was plenty of fettling to be done in the first week of ownership.

• Advertisement

crosswords wrote: »
    [*]They size up quite long in the reach, compared to some other brands.

There's a point before I move on it. I'm 181cm and a 56 in most bikes. My Genesis Volare and (recently sold) Equilibrium are Genesis size 'L' and, going by the geometry guides, it would appear a size 'M' in the Genesis carbon might be more appropriate.

Any owners maybe guide me on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

There's a point before I move on it. I'm 181cm and a 56 in most bikes. My Genesis Volare and (recently sold) Equilibrium are Genesis size 'L' and, going by the geometry guides, it would appear a size 'M' in the Genesis carbon might be more appropriate.

Any owners maybe guide me on that?

I ride a 54 cm on most bikes. But the Equilibrium I had (since sold) was a 51 or 52 cm (can't remember exactly).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

outfox wrote: »
    I ride a 54 cm on most bikes. But the Equilibrium I had (since sold) was a 51 or 52 cm (can't remember exactly).
    it's a 52.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I ride a Large in my main go to good weather bike and commuter. My 2 Genesis frames are Medium. Genesis were adament my Tour de Fer should be medium. Feel slightly cramped on the Croix, but that's because the seatpost is seized as the reach is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

My only other bike is a 54, with a 100 mm stem(trek) and I had it fitted with A Hammond.
    The genisis however is a 53(small I think)... and I had to put an 80cm stem on it.
    Marty.

• Advertisement

'M' it is so.

Appreciate all the advice folks, thanks

Advertisement