Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion Sq to Phibblestown evening commute?

• 18-12-2018 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

How is the commute to Ongar / Phibblestown these days? My new job is in Merrion Square, finishing at 5.30. There is no option to change hours.

I have to collect child at 6.30 near home from creche.

Is it possible? I drive, but I expect the only driving part would be to/ from Clonsilla or Hansfield train station?

How is the bus these days? Any expresses?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There is the 39x which you'd need to get from Baggot Street I guess but aiming to pick up a child at 6.30 would be pushing it, in my oponion. It goes the same route as the 39a (with fewer stops) as far as the N3 then comes off at the Crowne Plaza Hotel slip road and goes along Blanchardstown Road South along the outskirts of the centre and on towards Ongar. Route is here: https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/27x-Revised-Fares1/

When I get it I usually get on at Aston Quay or Essex Quay and it takes about 30-35 minutes to Blanchardstown Rd Sth from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Train either from Pearse or Docklands is your best bet I'd say.

1742 from Pearse gets you to Clonsilla for 1812
    1755 from Docklands gets you to Hansfield at 1821

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsox

I agree with PhoenixParker....the train is your best option.

You would need to be at Docklands by 17.45 or earlier to get a seat on the 17.55 but you will definitely make it there by 17.55 if you leave Merrion Square at 5.30.

The 17.42 from Pearse might be a better option but remember that you will have to be at Clonsilla by 8am to get parking. Otherwise you could park at Hansfield and switch from the Docklands train at Clonsilla. I've often parked at Hansfield and taken the train to Docklands in the morning, then walked to Merrion Square (about 22 minutes)...in the evening I've taken the 5.42 from Pearse and switched at Closilla onto the M3 Parkway train for Hansfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Train either from Pearse or Docklands is your best bet I'd say.

1742 from Pearse gets you to Clonsilla for 1812
    1755 from Docklands gets you to Hansfield at 1821

Pearse station is only a couple of minutes walk from Merrion Square whereas Docklands is a good 20+ minutes so I'd aim for the Pearse services and get off at Clonsilla. Pay parking is €2 per day at Clonsilla but I believe it can be cheaper if you pay monthly rates online.

Parking free at Hansfield but you have to change trains to get to Pearse.

I've gotten the 39x bus a couple of times during train strikes and was impressed with how (relatively) quick it got you into town. It brings you right pass Phibblestown as well as the train stations are a distance away from there as you know.

I'd recommend experimenting and try bus one morning and train another to see what works better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

ongarboy wrote: »
    Pearse station is only a couple of minutes walk from Merrion Square whereas Docklands is a good 20+ minutes so I'd aim for the Pearse services and get off at Clonsilla. Pay parking is €2 per day at Clonsilla but I believe it can be cheaper if you pay monthly rates online.

Parking free at Hansfield but you have to change trains to get to Pearse.

Docklands is a longer walk but the train itself is much faster so the overall time taken is not that different. Docklands trains dont get stuck at Connolly so from Broombridge its reliably 10 mins to Docklands vs 18- 25 to Pearse. It's also possible to grab a Dublin bike near Docklands (especially in the morning) which cuts some time off.

I tend to vary it by the weather and how inclined I am to walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Just be aware that the 17.42 from Pearse is chronically late. My husband does our creche pick up, it's 5 mins from coolmine station and often he is only just making it there for 6.30. Absolutely head wrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I commuted for quite a number of years from Clonsilla to Merrion Sq (Merrion Row) and the train is the only way to go. Basically from the train to my desk in slightly over 15mins. Did the bus once as an excercise and it simply took to long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭DvB

firebird84 wrote: »
    Just be aware that the 17.42 from Pearse is chronically late. My husband does our creche pick up, it's 5 mins from coolmine station and often he is only just making it there for 6.30. Absolutely head wrecking.

I cant back this post up enough.
    I get the same train (I get on at Lansdowne Road though) and its pretty much late getting in to Clonsilla every day. It used to get there for about 6.10/6.15, mostly its closer to 6.30 nowadays.

Though agree that the train is the only option worth looking at, the bus at that time of the day will take 90 minutes to get to Phibblestown 9 times out of 10.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Completely agree that the bus is way way worse (as is driving in term time) but, OP, if you need to be at creche for 6.30 add a good 10/15 mins onto the advertised arrival time of any train after 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You'd have no margin at all.

The only way to do this quicker is all the way on an electric bicycle, or moped.

Everything else is a good hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 sowdublin

Your best bet would be a 50cc scooter if you don't want the hassle of going through theory test and licence test. Waay quicker than bus & train. You would rarely be impacted by notorious traffic pile up as you could use cycle lane for a 50cc scooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

sowdublin wrote: »
    You would rarely be impacted by notorious traffic pile up as you could use cycle lane for a 50cc scooter.

Since when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Would anybody be able to tell me how parking is at Clonsilla or Hansfield? Are there any spots left at 8 am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Would anybody be able to tell me how parking is at Clonsilla or Hansfield? Are there any spots left at 8 am?

Highly unlikely for Clonsilla. Most mornings its already full for the 7.45 train to Pearse.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I get the 8:24am from Hansfield every morning and there are still spaces (although technically they are not official parking spaces just set down areas or on the wide footpath area opposite the official parking spaces to left and right of station where people park). It's free also....but that that could change soon.....

Advertisement