Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade

Options
  • 18-12-2018 7:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Current pc specs are

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
    Motherboard ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
    Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
    Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision R

I brought just cause 4 and it was very laggy, not unplayable but very annoying, I missed around with the settings but couldn't get it too stop, what would ye recommend for an upgrade? I noticed the same lag in Fallout 4 on sunday and I don't remember that ever being very laggy, Time to upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

What's the budget?

I'd say the GPU would be the main thing to hit there and maybe another 2x4gb ram?

Plenty of reasonable GPU options there that wouldn't break the bank!

Maybe an RX580 / 570?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Samsung-Memory-Express-Graphics-Black/dp/B0797XLR9Z/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1545158390&sr=1-2&keywords=rx580

I'd say the CPU/Motherboard should be safe enough for a while more depending on what you'll be playing.

Will let the experts chime in!

Just Cause 4 is unoptimized on PC and runs like a turd even on high end systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First upgrade would be GPU - something like an RX580 to GTX1070Ti depending on budget.

Second would be CPU, to a 2nd hand i7-4790 for €120. Depends on the games, in certain games this would be the priority upgrade, but in most single player games the GPU would be the primary upgrade.

RAM is fine for now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

First upgrade would be GPU - something like an RX580 to GTX1070Ti depending on budget.

Second would be CPU, to a 2nd hand i7-4790 for €120. Depends on the games, in certain games this would be the priority upgrade, but in most single player games the GPU would be the primary upgrade.

RAM is fine for now.

Could I just upgrade the gpu without the cpu for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For the games you've mentioned, it would be a big boost. But the CPU is getting old at this point and the latest games are really starting to stress quad core/quad thread CPUS, which is why a 4790 would also be a large boost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement