Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought an item that was overpriced.

Options
  • 18-12-2018 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I bought an item in a jewelry store that cost me €60.
    At the time I asked of they had a different model of this item in stock as it was the same price, and I had purchased one for myself and I felt like it was better quality.

However they didn't have it in stock so I said I'd just go with the €60 product at hand as I was lead to believe it was of very similar spec.

However when I got home I realised it was infact much cheaper item and usually only retails for €30 on every other shop and online.

The person in the shop didn't seem to know much about the product at the time and simply priced it based on a handwritten price tag which I feel was wrongly placed.

Do I have any grounds for a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Nope but you could ask. Shop has no obligation though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You can certainly try to go back to the shop and tell them that you’ve changed your mind and you don’t want it. For goodwill they might offer you a credit note. Please note they don’t have to offer you anything and I certainly wouldn’t start to complain if they don’t because I’m afraid that finding afterwards that you could have got it somewhere else cheaper is not grounds for a refund.
    You were under no obligation to buy the item and it sounds as if you were unsure about wether you were happy with the price even when you were making the purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Yeah figured as much but I'm going to try anyway.
    I just wanted the original model that wasn't in stock at the time.
    I'd be happy enough to change to it considering it's actually worth€60.

Going to bring in receipt of original item I purchased for myself.

Just thought I'd ask here as there was no info about appropriately priced goods when sold.

Might try argue that it wasn't as described and that I was orally mislead by sales assistant.

Also saw this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html
    If the retailer knowingly charges more for a product than
    is displayed an offence may be committed. Generally, if you are told the correct price before you pay, you have no right to redress. If you notice the error after you have paid, you should bring the matter to the retailer's attention who, most likely, would refund you the difference. You could also report the matter to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. The office will investigate the complaint with the objective of ensuring future compliance with the Act. This however does not mean financial redress for the individual complainant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They didn't charge more than what was displayed. There was a price tag and this is what they charged you.

You have absolutely no comeback on this. But there's no harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yeah figured as much but I'm going to try anyway.
    I just wanted the original model that wasn't in stock at the time.
    I'd be happy enough to change to it considering it's actually worth€60.

Going to bring in receipt of original item I purchased for myself.

Just thought I'd ask here as there was no info about appropriately priced goods when sold.

Might try argue that it wasn't as described and that I was orally mislead by sales assistant.

Also saw this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

You weren’t misled by the assistant. The price tag said €60 and that’s what you agreed too. I know well that it’s very aggravating to pay for something and then find that you could have got it a lot cheaper somewhere else but that’s not any fault of the shop where you bought the item.
    Thank God we live in a free market and shops can charge whatever they want for the goods and services they provide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement