Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with whole house lights and tech setup

Options
  • 18-12-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for advice on how to proceed with my lighting setup..
    We built a new house and installed deep boxes and neutrals to switches at the time. The plan was to use z-wave around the house..
    Now, two years down the line and just getting my head around to doing something...
    A number of questions.
    1. Is z-wave the way to go?
    2. If no, what should I install? Is yes, what hub to purchase?
    3. Any suggestions on what modules to use? Need wireless sensors and switch controls etc..

I plan to install sonos for multi room audio. I have heatmiser neo controlling our air to water underfloor..
    I also would like to install electric curtain rails if I can find at decent price and that I could integrate with the z-wave or alternative system..
    Also would like some cctv at later stage to be connected with electric gates /intercom etc it we ever have money to install them..
    Alarm system is hkc...

Anyway,
    Any comments or recommendations would be great.
    I would like to future proof as much as possible and to be able to integrate in the cctv, the curtain rails(blinds), intercom etc for gate, audio etc.. together.

Many thanks 😊
    Corcadorcha

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The best advice I've seen is get Cat 6 into as many places as you can but always install it into ducting so if you want to change it for any reason you can just pull it out and change it. Also, wireless is great but it's doubtful it'll be better than wired in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Thanks Clareman, but we have what we have now.. House built and wired.. I have cat6 cables around at certain places.. At tv's, on wall in living areas as well as couple extras.. But not at light switches..
    Thanks.. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks Clareman, but we have what we have now.. House built and wired.. I have cat6 cables around at certain places.. At tv's, on wall in living areas as well as couple extras.. But not at light switches..
    Thanks.. 😎

Depends very much on what you want to do, and how content you feel with diy in the electrical side and configuration.

The fact that you have neutrals in the back boxes, and deep back boxes leaves you with a lot of options.

If you are good technically, what I would do if I was you now, is purchase a few fibaro z wave modules, a USB z wave stick and a rasoerry pi to out openhabian in it.

Play with that for a while and see what route you want to take with that.

That's a cheap Jump in to get you going.

Thanks for that.. Will the boss be able to work that? After setup it has to be simple to operate..
    Was looking at smartthings hub? Any thoughts? To use with z-wave..
    Thanks again

Thanks for that.. Will the boss be able to work that? After setup it has to be simple to operate..
    Was looking at smartthings hub? Any thoughts? To use with z-wave..
    Thanks again

Using the zwave in wall modules, your lights should operate exactly like normal lights, just with the smarts behind it to do automated stuff, voice control, scenes etc.

How are.with with a bit of software configuration?

• Advertisement

Using the zwave in wall modules, your lights should operate exactly like normal lights, just with the smarts behind it to do automated stuff, voice control, scenes etc.

How are.with with a bit of software configuration?

I wouldn't mind having a go at some configuration.. I like tinkering and trying things when I have time..
    What would you suggest?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

As wexfordman2 suggested a good way to start is with a rpi and a z-wave usb adapter. You probably have two choices regarding an operating system which are home assistant or openhab. Once that is set up you can then look at adding z-wave controlled devices.

Both systems will be compatible with some z-wave devices out of the box and some will require third party addons to get them to work. If you added things like Philips Hue lights to the house then these could be integrated into home assistant or openhab and then combined with the z-wave devices to set up various automations.

If you had and old laptop or pc you could trial home assistant and openhab to see how you get on with them and how they work, both systems have very good forums for information.

The Xiaomi Aqara range of sensors etc would be a starting point for smart home control and both can be integrated into openhab and home assistant.

I wouldn't mind having a go at some configuration.. I like tinkering and trying things when I have time..
    What would you suggest?
    Thanks

Exactly as Almost said. Buy a fibaro module, and even some Ikea tradfi devices with the hub. A cheap zwave stick and then oaly with then all on openhabian or home assistant and integrate them.

I am not familiar with home assistant, beyond it being similar to openhab in it's workings, but with either if these two systems you can integrate loads of different home automation techs and get them talking to each other and working together..

I have not used the fibaro modules, I have a hard wired smart system, but have used similar type in wall devices before.

Dip your toe in the water.

Exactly as Almost said. Buy a fibaro module, and even some Ikea tradfi devices with the hub. A cheap zwave stick and then oaly with then all on openhabian or home assistant and integrate them.

I am not familiar with home assistant, beyond it being similar to openhab in it's workings, but with either if these two systems you can integrate loads of different home automation techs and get them talking to each other and working together..

I have not used the fibaro modules, I have a hard wired smart system, but have used similar type in wall devices before.

Dip your toe in the water.

So openhab/home assistant instead of hub like smartthings?
    Thanks for all the help..

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.
    Anybody recommend a place to buy any of this gear?

Thanks..

• Advertisement
Advertisement