Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP Schene (Housing Assistance Payment)

Options
  • 18-12-2018 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all. Gotta quick question. So I was reading up about the haps scheme. My question is let's say the haps scheme limit for my county is 800 euros does that mean that the house I find has to be that amount or does it mean the scheme pays 800 euros for my county and if the house in 900 euros I pay the rest myself?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The clue is in the title 'Housing Assistance Payment'.
    Its an assistance payment- you pay a portion of the rent directly to the local authority- who in turn pay the full amount to the landlord.

The Citizen's Information Page here gives you a good run-down on the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi all. Gotta quick question. So I was reading up about the haps scheme. My question is let's say the haps scheme limit for my county is 800 euros does that mean that the house I find has to be that amount or does it mean the scheme pays 800 euros for my county and if the house in 900 euros I pay the rest myself?

YOU will pay so much of the 800 depending on your income. THE COUNCIL pay the rest, but only up to 800, if 800 is the limit for you.
    Anything over 800 YOU WILL BE PAYING.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thread title edited to make it more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

and lets say I go on the HAP scheme, do I get removed from the council housing list or can I still stay on that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

and lets say I go on the HAP scheme, do I get removed from the council housing list or can I still stay on that list?

My understanding is that you are removed from the housing list as you are deemed housed but you can go on the transfer list once you have been in the HAP property for 2 yrs or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You can now ask to stay on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You can now ask to stay on the list.

Fair enough it is a while since I looked at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It's the Transfer list you would be going on.

Because you are considered housed - so effectively in the councils eyes you are seeking a transfer.

Have seen suggestions in the past that you must request a transfer within two weeks of taking up HAP.

You would be best asking your local authoritys housing department or even a local councillor for guidence as HAP is subject to new info all the time imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

When returning your HAP application you need to write a letter requesting that you want to be on the transfer list. Send it by registered post, keep a record of that and a copy of the letter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement