Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 18-12-2018 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone, I'm working in a school where a teacher is being isolated- wouldn't say bullied but all suggestions this teacher has for the good of the school are knocked. Staff members avoid this teacher and can be downright rude. I have witnessed bullying behaviour from one member of staff and the general consensus is negative. I have a good relationship with this teacher and concerned for their mental health - I have discussed this with the teacher and they have assured me that it doesn't bother them - but deep down it does- it bothers me - as a non-permanent staff member that doesn't want to rock the boat - what can I do? I feel that if I sit on the fence and let it carry on - I'm condoning it - if I speak up it may not work in my favour next year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Tell your friend to wise up. You do not change the system. The system changes you. Get his CV in order and apply else where ASAP. In 10 years when the system has broken him and he is wondering is teaching really for him, he could have moved somewhere where he is more valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

deflated17 wrote: »
    ... they have assured me that it doesn't bother them - but deep down it does- it bothers me - as a non-permanent staff member that doesn't want to rock the boat - what can I do? I feel that if I sit on the fence and let it carry on - I'm condoning it - if I speak up it may not work in my favour next year.

It doesnt matter how it bothers you, if the other person is not prepared to put in a grievance or take part in mediation you are wasting your time. I was in a similar situation and brought allegations of bullying to management but my colleague refused to bring it further.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It doesnt matter how it bothers you, if the other person is not prepared to put in a grievance or take part in mediation you are wasting your time. I was in a similar situation and brought allegations of bullying to management but my colleague refused to bring it further.

I think the value of grievance procedures is debatable. They can spin on forever and even if proved right what are you left with? You still have to work in the place.
    People who are ignorant and decide to ignore others don't realise that it costs them to be rude. There is a price to be paid emotionally. Secondly it just draws even more attention to the person they are trying to ignore. It basically says the person being ignored can damage me. Im afraid of them.
    Only the strong forgive.
    I would give the advice I have just given and tell the teacher to concentrate on their classes. Most other teachers pretty non innovative. So he or she should plough ahead.
    Living and working well the best revenge

Advertisement