Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food gifts for kids

• 19-12-2018 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get some ideas for a stocking filler for a 5yo and 7yo.

I don't want to get them a wee rubbish toy or anything like that - its up to parents to buy the toys imo.

I've got them some books and was thinking of some 'junk food' like a tub of haribos packets to share between them.

Before I bought this, any ideas as to what would be a better idea - or a less junk food oriented thing to get?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Any kind of art supplies, they're great value in Tiger/Flying Tiger if you've got one nearby. They do great little toys etc too, hairbands, funky glasses and other novelties. If you want to get sweets, just get a standard size bag of Haribo each, or better yet one of the tubes of mini bags each, rather than a big tub to share. There will be stress in dividing up a big tub and there's way too many packets in them anyway for little kids. The tubes that would fit inside a stocking would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I got a chocolate Santa for my kids stockings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

An orange is traditional here, and they love them.

Some pencils and rubbers, sticker sheets.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Whoopie cushions go down an absolute treat as stocking fillers. Dealz or Eurozone do small colouring books with a few crayons, that sort of thing.

Sharing means arguments so don't do one big packet of sweets, two separate packets of sweets is more harmonious! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Neyite wrote: »
    Sharing means arguments so don't do one big packet of sweets, two separate packets of sweets is more harmonious! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions.

This is a box full of small bags, so no tantrums should occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

You'd be surprised! Are they all identical? If not they may argue over the colour of the bags/fizzy or not fizzy ones/cola bottles etc! Also if there's an uneven number of small bags, another cause for an argument. Most kids this age are *SO* particular and won't be easily placated if they feel there's any injustice. A little bag of chocolate coins each would be easier if you can't already bought this box of Haribo, easily picked up in Aldi/Tesco/Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cookie cutters, icing set, anything baking related.

Get them interested in a bit of cooking and baking.

_Brian wrote: »
    Cookie cutters, icing set, anything baking related.

Get them interested in a bit of cooking and baking.

Ain't my kids so I don't want to lumber the parents with a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If they aren't your kids, why are you doing the stocking?

pwurple wrote: »
    If they aren't your kids, why are you doing the stocking?

I've got them a book each. I just wanted to get an additional gift for them. I should not have said stocking filler, but I meant it as an additional small thing to add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Make sure the parents are ok with the kids getting sweets. If you gave my two a box of sweets, you'd see a tantrum from me :D:D

Advertisement