Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sim card wont work on Vodafone phone

Options
  • 19-12-2018 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Long story short I smashed by small old samsung phone. The sim card in this phone is bigger than the present day smaller sim cards. A year ago I bought a vodafone phone to use as a spare phone, but I left it go over a certain dormant period and lost the number for doing this, this phone was barely used.

I went into the vodafone shop to do a switch over and transferred all my numbers onto the smaller sim card however when they placed the sim card into the phone, the phone is coming up with 'No Service'. The sim card works as they checked it in another phone. They mentioned that it could be the sim card reader or the phone must of have been dropped. This phone was barely used and never dropped. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Try the SIM card in another phone . You might need the repair centre to look at the SIM card reader holder chips etc to check if not damaged/loose connections from the drop fall.
    Vodafone FonFix in store Repair centre Grafton Street or FonFixmobile phone repair centre Sandyford can take a look and hopefully advise

Hope this helps

CVB

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

The sim card works, i know this already. The fact is the phone was never used or dropped and they should be willing to check it out. The phone was barely used for 2 months. Most likely i will change to virgin media today as I am not happy that they would be looking to charge me for an engineer to have a look at it. The phone is only a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did someone bust the little gold contacts where the SIM goes in, you should be able to see if there broken if you look closely.
    Failing that it's a faulty phone, you don't have the SIM in correctly or it's locked to a different network.

It couldnt be locked to another network because it is a vodafone phone. I have checked the contacts but they seem to be fine

None broken? Did you try a different Vodafone SIM in it? You've a 2yr warranty on a new phone so you should send it back for repair.

• Advertisement

No, none broken, again they dont tell you you have a 2 year warranty, they didnt mention this when i brought it into them, the same way they didnt tell me if i left the phone dormant for a period (ie. using it as a spare phone) that your number to this phone becomes obsolete.

Did you see the very same SIM you have in your hand actually working in a different phone.
    They must have gave you a SIM with a new number I presume.

No they gave me a new sim, all my contacts have been transferred as I can see them on this same phone (dormant phone). My understanding is they have set up my old smashed up phone number on this new sim. How can i check this though. I preferred to keep this old number, actually its an 086 number, as everyone calls me via this number.

Do you get any other error message or just only no coverage reception?

CVB

On top left side it says 'No Service'. When you dial in 1741 to say top up it says 'Mobile network not available'.

• Advertisement

I dont think this is a reception issue, i am in dublin city

If the sim card reader is reading all my contacts then there should be no issue with the sim card reader, would this be correct

Yea that doesn't mean the SIM has signal though. Did you try a different SIM in the phone that's not getting signal. If still no signal then it's a faulty phone.

Yea that doesn't mean the SIM has signal though. Did you try a different SIM in the phone that's not getting signal. If still no signal then it's a faulty phone.
    Thanks, yes the guy in virgin media tried his sim in the phone too and it didnt work, cant understand how the phone is faulty, never dropped it or used it, anyway must probably now look for a new deal, perhaps with virgin media unless you guys know best alternatives out there.

Go to Vodafone store or Carphonewarehouse and ask them to try a Different Vodafone SIM and another SIM card from a different network eir for example . To see if you get network coverage .
    Do you know if the phone is locked to Vodafone SIM Cards only ? If not try my recommendation.

This will definitely confirm its an issue with the handset and not the SIM cards

CVB

James 007 wrote: »
    Thanks, yes the guy in virgin media tried his sim in the phone too and it didnt work, cant understand how the phone is faulty, never dropped it or used it, anyway must probably now look for a new deal, perhaps with virgin media unless you guys know best alternatives out there.

Three have fairly hefty discounts on a few phones if you move your number if it's just pay as you go.

Advertisement