Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elf on the Shelf / Naughty & Nice list

Options
  • 19-12-2018 10:53am
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

So, the other day the OH came home with an elf on the shelf. He didn't know the backstory and it was me that had to tell him about how elves get up to mischief every night and all that. Yesterday morning the 6yo woke to discover the elf had gotten into the treats cupboard and tried a couple of funsize bars.

Anyway, yesterday I join up to a few EOTS facebook groups to try to get inspiration. And there's lots of inspiration and ideas so I'm sorted on that front but have seen quite a few posts from parents using the elf to punish their child for something usually inconsequential. One posted that her 2yo touched the elf and so the elf lost it's magic for 5 days as a consequence and I just don't get that. There were quite a few more along that vein. I just felt sad for that 2yo doing something natural like touching a toy, not knowing or being able to understand a stupid 'rule' and 5 days is a lifetime at that age! I thought the elf was about fun and mischief, not punishment. :(

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jesus! 5 days is a bit much! The child is 2, of course they're going to touch it.

I saw one in the Christmas forum where the elf went into the fridge and the milk turned blue.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's pretty much the job of a 2yo, isn't it? To touch stuff? Especially toys or things that look like toys.

We don't link behaviour to Santa presents here after last year, the 6yo came home from school all upset that the burglar sensors were Santa-Cams, and the idea freaked him out that Santa had eyes on him 24/7. Tbh, I'm with him on that one because if my December salary was dependent on impeccable behaviour for my boss watching me at home and at work, I'd reckon I'd be pretty broke and quite paranoid!

So our burglar sensors are just for burglars and all kids are on the nice list. In our house you have to do something REALLY bad like hurt an animal deliberately to be on a naughty list but run of the mill misbehaving doesn't qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think elf on the shelf is a nasty controlling idea best left to the Americans. My wife bought one , the dog had other ideas about not touching it thankfully. Row averted and kids behaving as kids should in the run up to an important time of year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah here, Santa Cams are a bit much. We don't do the Elf thing, not least because of the pain in the hole it would be to remember to keep doing it. She has a fairy door and every now and again she'll write a note and we won't see the thing for two days. Then there's a mad scramble to write a response. An elf, no way.

If my daughter ever asks why we have no Elf, it'll be because the Elf only gets sent to houses where the kids get into more trouble :p

My youngest is 22 months, so nearly 2, and there isn't a hope in hell it could be explained to her not to touch the elf. Our tree is only decorated halfway up (it's just easier this way), and every day I come home to some new drawing on the floor. She's still too young to be punished for anything, no way she'd understand something as complicated as "touch it and its magic goes away". She's of the type that if we tried to stop her touching the elf, then the next time my back is turned the elf would be going for swim in the dog's water bowl.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We eventually caved and got one this year, but it's purely for fun - he moves around at night and gets up to mischief, but he doesn't go reporting to Santa every night. It's too much pressure for little kids at a time of year when they're already up to 90 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

He’s there to tell Santa when they’ve been bold. Disappears at night and appears in a new spot in the morning.

Definitely a good way of keeping them “good” for a while.

It’s the equivilant of when we were told Santa’s watching so you better be good. It’s just a physical representation of that idea imo.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Our elf won't spy for Santa. I won't have that. :pac: Around our way Santa's robin was another spy device and we have several robins who are around our patio door so that was another one I had to explain they were just ordinary robins.

Kids play up this time of year anyway. They all do. It's the end of term, it's dark an hour or so after school so less outdoor play, after-school activities have wound down or are winding down and there's the anticipation and excitement of Christmas. They are like a bag of cats. No more than many adults are.

A bag of cats is an interesting term :pac: I think "antichrist" would have described my son better last year! I think just the excitement of Christmas and also the imminent arrival of his little sister was just too much for him.

He gets a Lego advent calendar every year, and previously he was allowed to open the door at breakfast time, however this year I changed it to if he behaves during the day and does his homework without fussing, he's allowed to open that day's door after tea. It's been working pretty well so far.

My little boy is a worrier, so the concept of being under constant surveillance is too much stress for him. Like he'd be up through the night worrying about Santa or the robin seeing some random little thing he did during the day. The only time we use "Santa is watching" is at bedtime, we tell him that he has to be in bed by "x" time because Santa will be testing the sled and checking if everyone is in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We have one, my 5 & 2yr old love it. They race down the stairs to see what he’s been up to. To be honest it’s as stressful as the parents want to make it. We don’t stick to the “rules”. Some days he moves, some days he “forgets” or has had too much elf juice the night before. He doesn’t go back to the North Pole and he doesn’t do any spying. He’s a bit of extra excitement and magic at this time of year.

People forget the elf is down to imagination, you’re not bound by contract to do it one specific way. It seems to be the trendy thing to dismiss him these days anyway and not have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah I can't wait til my wee boy is old enough for the elf! I think it's a great idea and so much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

The worst part about elf on the shelf is the endless pics on Facebook each day that some people insist on posting....eh nobody cares where you put your elf Susan, although I could give you a suggestion!!!

Ms2011 wrote: »
    The worst part about elf on the shelf is the endless pics on Facebook each day that some people insist on posting....eh nobody cares where you put your elf Susan, although I could give you a suggestion!!!

:pac:

I won't be a Susan, promise!

Ms2011 wrote: »

:pac: Susan, unfortunately, took the suggestion literally, and subsequently spent a rather uncomfortable 24 hours until it was time to remove the elf and put it somewhere else. On an unrelated note, Susan did not post an elf update to Facebook on that particular day.

Dammit Susan!
    Many relationships do need a little spice from time to time but won't somebody think of the elves!!??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh those elves....
    I hear there are two approaches, the "elf is watching and reporting on you one" and the "elf is doing silly/naughty things at night" one.Our playschool has one and he does silly things at night.But nobody is allowed touch him or he loses his magic for 24 hours.It's actually very funny in that scenario because firstly, it's understandable to have a 'don't touch" in a room full of kids, but also, woe betide any teacher who thoughtlessly puts a finger on the elf to straighten him or stop him falling-there are a group of enthusiastic four year olds who pounce on the guilty party at any opportunity and they are quick to remind the teachers that touching isn't allowed!!

Anyway, I am too lazy.I don't go in for the "be good or santa won't get you anything" thing anyway (how do you even enforce that and what do you use the rest of the year round?) And secondly-I am too bloody lazy!That elf looks like way too much work and I have enough on my plate without that too!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, Elf looks like fun, but way too much work to me! I've enough to be thinking about now lads, without increasing my mental load by caring for an inanimate object too.

And, it's really creepy looking!

First night he got into the treats cupboard
    Then the next night he squeezed into a toilet roll and rolled himself down the stairs.
    Last night he nominated himself to be the star on the tree.

I've got a couple more - doing snow angels in spilled sugar, and making a bra hammock on the kitchen cupboards.

It will only be low effort/ mess tricks here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Very low effort here but we do have an elf and the kids just love it. Usually the Elf is doing things like sitting in the teapot so we can’t use the teapot for the day and the kids find it hilarious that he’s stopping us grown ups from doing things. The odd time we might say Elf is watching but generally we just do it for a bit of fun. Even the two year old has started looking for it every morning and laughs when she sees it-thought she wouldn’t even notice it.

Thankfully the elf has been clever enough to stay up high and avoid the two year olds grab!

Just a bit of fun but I guess like all things these days can be done to extreme or people can dismay at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As another poster as said, it's what you and the kids make it. But of craic in our house. Not too serious. Which is exactly what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Our elf just sits there until the kids play with it. As for Santa he doesn't come to our house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

We eagerly await our elf’s arrival every year. He comes the night we put up the tree and goes with Santa on Xmas eve.

He arrived just on time before they were available here when number one was having a belief crisis and brought the magic back for another two years. The younger ones now are in total belief and can’t wait to see where he is every morning.

Don’t forget that you can now keep them well behaved in March too!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I hate it ! Do children need even more pressure from a frankly strange looking bit of plastic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I never link Santa to good behaviour. Santa comes on Christmas eve and that's just that. I hate the link to behaviour, I want my child to look forward to Christmas without worry or a threat hanging over him. And I want him to learn good behaviour through his personal sense of empathy for others and satisfaction at doing something well/kind/responsible. I don't want him to be good for a reward.

But we have a house full of magic creatures. It started with the Tomte, a Swedish Christmas gnome that's was a gift to me from my brother who lived in Sweden and who resided at the top of my tree for years before my son was born. From the end of November he arrives in our house and climbs down from the tree every night and arranges crafts, adventures and surprises. He leaves a note with a clue in an advent banner and we have to find him in the morning. Then a couple of years ago a toy plush elf from Dealz revealed himself to be Marshmelfie. A magical elf who abandons his spot on the couch to fill the sugar bowl with tiny white marshmallows whenever I make hot chocolate. And last week, because I clearly don't have enough to do every night (along with making tiny customised action figures and cars for the Christmas stocking), Tomte brought a tiny magnetised plush elf who brought the tiny magnetised plush snowman we've always had to life and the two of them move about at night. And yes, before anyone asks, I was dropped on my head as a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I love these stories. Twins are a bit young for the elf. We haven’t even visited Santa yet. But next year will be fun. I love the elf photos on fb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

iguana wrote: »
    And yes, before anyone asks, I was dropped on my head as a baby.

I'm glad you clarified all that!!!!
    Dear god, how do you find time to make that all work??We do the same approach for Santa-he comes and that's it.
    People are asking my four year old has she been good lately though, and I can see her looking at them like they are mad....!!

Advertisement