Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining Outdoor cat6 for burial

Options
  • 19-12-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I need to get some outside cat6 cable to extend existing cable which falls short of the shed position. This 30m reel would seem ideal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EOTHCZY

What junction box do I need to join the outdoor cables before they are buried?

In the shed, I am bringing in just one cat6. Before the inner edges are poured I was thinking of daisy chaining a second point on the back wall. You could then use one of the other. Anything to watch out for here in the wiring?

Does cat6 cable use a different RJ45 jack that a cat5?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

boardtc wrote: »
    I need to get some outside cat6 cable to extend existing cable which falls short of the shed position. This 30m reel would seem ideal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EOTHCZY

In the shed, I am bringing in just one cat6. Before the inner edges are poured I was thinking of daisy chaining a second point on the back wall. You could then use one of the other. Anything to watch out for here in the wiring?

Don't join it, buy a box of cable cat6 cable and terminate it yourself. Always run two in case one fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭boardtc

I did not explain well. The existing cable is in the garden coming from my patch panel inside and is 3m short to reach the shed :-( The trench is dug to extend the electric cable & cat6. Too late to run a 2nd I think :-(

I did not explain well. The existing cable is in the garden coming from my patch panel and is 3m short to reach the shed :-(

Replace it, use it to pull a fresh cable.

Wow. Jaysus. How would I do that?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is the cable plugged into a patch panel at the front, with a terminator on it, or is it hard wired into the back of the panel?

I think he means you would disconnect the existing cable from the patch panel. Then you would attach the shed end of your new cable onto your disconnected patch cable (duct tape? cable ties?) and start pulling from the shed end. As above, two cables are as easy to pull as one, so you'll be dragging a pair of cables along the path you already have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Worth putting in conduit so you can replace or pull new cable in the future. You can get lengths from the likes of Chadwicks

It's wired into the back of the patch. It's then buried for about 20m to currently exposed trench, which was dug to extend the electric & cat6 line. I have not checked if there's a conduit underground from the trench back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

That cable is cca (copper clad aluminium) and you would be better looking for solid copper cable especially if you are running longer distances. Check if you have a local electrical wholesalers nearby or check out www.freetv.ie for outdoor cat6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Are you placing it in a proper cable duct?
    If you are not putting down a duct you are only messing.

I'd suggest 55mm pvc duct with the ends brought up into each building using ling radius bends. It'll be more expensive, but it is the proper way.

The house was smart wired 3 years ago and a cable left for the garage. We changed the position of that, so it's short. I'll see if I can have a look at the cable and am waiting to hear from the electrician who installed but I might be waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Have you considered moving the shed?

Happy Christmas!

R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Put in a conduit before you pour the floor that way you can always add something later. Don't put in cat 6 do 6a or cat 7 basically something screened.

Thanks for all the advice. The shed is up with trench open and inside shed edges open to. The whole house was already wired in 2015 for cat 6. The shed is within 37 meters of the patch panel so will still get 10 Gigabit Ethernet with cat6 I believe. I was reading up on the screening/individual shielding of some 6a / 7, did not know about that. If I did manage to pull the cable would there be any value in replacing it with cat6e shielded / 7 if the rest of the house is cat6, I don't think so right?

If you put in a proper duct from the house to the shed you will have total freedom to change in the future if you want. But it has to be a proper duct with proper access at either end. Unless the duct has proper fittings, bends and access it's more or less useless because you won't be able to draw a new cable through it in the future. Bear in mind that drawing a cable through a duct induces significant forces. Don't rely on an old cable to draw a new cable through. It could snap.

Thanks for the help. To close this out, the builder put in no duct so pulling was not an option. The cat6 wires was joined with a line coupler and placed inside a submarine joining kit for swa cables which was sealed with a 2 part epoxy. Rock solid:
    14c4lmx.jpg

Thanks for the help. To close this out, the builder put in no duct so pulling was not an option. The cat6 wires was joined with a line coupler and placed inside a submarine joining kit for swa cables which was sealed with a 2 part epoxy. Rock solid:
    14c4lmx.jpg

How did you joint them? Did you joint them properly with an rj45 Ethernet coupler or just crimp the cores. Have you tested the speeds over the cable? There are a definite number of twists per inch on the pairs to prevent interference and crosstalk, changing this could completely bork your speeds at this point.

Sounds like your builder did a ****ty botch job. But unless you had it in the specification for the work to put it in a duct then it's not all on him either. At the end of the day most contractors will try get away with the minimum of work and expense possible.

All that aside, it's just shoddy to lay a bare data cable into the ground. A ducts should always be used for cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it's cat 6 and 37 meters then test it as soon as you can, cat6 is specified for 1G above 10 meters and 10G below. Sill that's plenty for most people

Aye, bummer about the duct, you are right I never specified and I'm disappointed the electrician guy who wired the house never said anything, he was pretty clued in with all. They were joint properly by a pro not crimped. Thanks!

Advertisement