Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Smoke Detectors

Options
  • 19-12-2018 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

I can't find a thread on this but all those videos of Christmas Trees on fire got me thinking.

What's the best smart smoke detector in people's opinion?

Are they all mains powered (I have 4 mains powered ones in the house currently) so can be easily swapped out or are they battery powered?

Thanks

EDIT - by smart I mean it will send some kind of notification to my phone at least

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Try Nest protect, they do smoke and carbon monoxide and send notifications to app on your phone. They also talk and tell you which on has detected smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Nest Protect can be got in both mains or battery - look for a deal in the sales

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree, Nest is excellent & it also detects carbon monoxide.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Nest protect also protects against both fast burning and slow burning fires.

This is an important point that many people miss. The smoke alarms that most people install are cheap ionisizing ones. Which are decent at detecting fast burning fires, but can take a very long time to detect slow, smouldering types fires that create lots of smoke. They can take a while to detect these type of fires and that can often be too late.

Nest protect seemingly reacts quickly to both types of fires, plus carbon monoxide detection.

They are also good because they are interlinked, so if you have more then one and lets say the one in the kitchen triggers, it will also turn on the one in the bedroom and thus give you more time to get out.

They also self test, which I think is a great feature, alarms are supposed to be tested once a week, but I bet few people do that.

Finally you can link them to Philips Hue lights, so that the lights come on when the alarm activates, potentially helping you to exit the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Have Nest Protect too, highly recommend, both mine are wired mains, kids love the nightlight that comes on after dark,

as mentioned they link in with Philips hue too to warn with red lights, I've mine also linked to nest thermostat

well worth price IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

+1 for the Nest Protects, pricey but excellent product. Only time they really alerted was when someone was c̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ burning food at home and I get a heads up about smoke detected and another notice about it clearing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bk wrote: »
    Finally you can link them to Philips Hue lights, so that the lights come on when the alarm activates, potentially helping you to exit the building.
    i didn’t know that. How??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

2011 wrote: »
    i didn’t know that. How??

Easiest way is probably with IFTTT.

https://ifttt.com/nest_protect

Davy wrote: »
    Easiest way is probably with IFTTT.

https://ifttt.com/nest_protect

Perhaps I misinterpreted BK’s post, but I read this functionality as a feature of the Nest app. But you are correct of course, this can be achieved by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    Perhaps I misinterpreted BK’s post, but I read this functionality as a feature of the Nest app. But you are correct of course, this can be achieved by other means.

Yes but there's no option to get the motion detector to turn on the Philips lights.

That's the one we all want Nest!!

I use an alarm activation to turn off my gas boiler

IMO the nest is by far the best option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2011 wrote: »

Sorry I missed your post, while you can of course do it via IFTTT, you can also directly connect Nest and Hue, see here:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-philips-hue-lights-work-nest

Advertisement