Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make my Bike look UGLY?

Options
  • 19-12-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a 16k commute to work everyday, and i recently replaced my old hybrid for something newer. Now i want to use the old bike more to go to places where i park it (with a decent lock) outside of library or shops. In order to make the bike less attractive to thieves, i am looking for ideas to make the bike a bit more ugly or run down looking, without loosing its functionality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hi vis tape and some Team Sky stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There used to be a trend in places like London to wrap new frames in cut-open inner tubes and various bits of tape. It makes for a fugly bike and also protects against frame damage when chaining it up. when eventually you take the stuff off, the fame is like new underneath. Supposedly.

Maybe its a contender for Dragons Den? - bike wraps that make a nice bike look like something dragged out of a canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I just wrapped mine in black duct tape. it obviously blocks the branding etc, but also dirt really sticks to the matt surface of the tape so it only looks uglier the more you cycle around. tbh, it looks like sh!t.

When I do decide to remove the tape, I'll need to give it a wash with soap and water to get rid of glue residue, but other than that, it actually is still very shiney under the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Cross out dura-ace with a marker and write ultegra - that will do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

get a second decent lock. Might deter the scum and cause them to divert their attention to someone's bike locked with only 1 lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Pannier rack and a basket with a flower for the handlebars

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

a big 'GARDA' sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1bryan wrote: »
    a big 'GARDA' sticker

That would have no impact.

A big sticker saying Property of C. Kinahan might work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Unpimp my ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭cletus

https://makezine.com/2013/04/01/u-g-l-y-your-bike/

This article is doing the rounds on a number of websites.

Seems a bit extreme though...

• Advertisement

There's an old guy near me that has put a load of Sinn Fein stickers in his windows after a burglary. Apparently a reformed burglar told him this was the best way to deter a thief as they aren't too sure who lives there and don't want to mess with the wrong people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cletus wrote: »

That bike was ugly enough to begin with, no need to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

https://makezine.com/2013/04/01/u-g-l-y-your-bike/

This article is doing the rounds on a number of websites.

Ridiculous in the extreme. Changing half the components on a bike just to downgrade it?? Why not just buy a €30 POS and use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you're parking an old bike, why don't you just use two locks? One with 3 or 4 stars from ART (Dutch lock-rating agency) and the other with at least 2 stars. It should be fine, if you lock it properly.

I use Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock (4 stars) and a Kryptonite Series 2 short chain lock (2 stars)

I think that would be easier than uglifying the bike, and should be fine. It's worked for me anyway, for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭cletus

Ridiculous in the extreme. Changing half the components on a bike just to downgrade it?? Why not just buy a €30 POS and use that instead.

Eh, just to clarify, I didn't write the article, just googled uglify bike and threw up the first link I came across. I wasn't actually suggesting anybody do this to their bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Use a D lock and replace the QR skewers.

I'd rather control the risk than ride around on an ugly bike, tbph - life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eh, just to clarify, I didn't write the article..
    Ah yea I know. I was addressing my comments to the link.

Advertisement