Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a Wannabe Runner

Options
  • 19-12-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So after completing a VERY slow marathon in 2015 as part of a bid to lose weight I have returned to being a pro couch-sitter and also to my starting weight. I'm trying to feel sad and ashamed about this but really, I enjoyed every morsel and Netflix binge and je n'ai regrette rien as the French would say!

Unfortunately though, the excess weight and lethargy are getting me down. I also have a hormonal issue that would greatly benefit from a bit of therapeutic exercise and I begrudgingly accept that it is time to run again. I also accept that it will take about twenty runs before they start to be enjoyable and stop being mere torture sessions so it is time to dig in and show some grit.

And sure, why not start a few days before Christmas, that's a good time right? In saying that, I have no idea when I will next get a spare half hour to make this happen but I am starting this log now to get a little bit of accountability (to myself) going.

Let's see what 2019 brings!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Haha, at least your being honest with yourself.

On the getting started, you can't wait for a spare half hour to slap you in the face and say go out and run, it won't work from experience. Time is something you have to grab by the you whats and make it happen, make it habit. A half hour is 1/48th(just under 2%) of a day if you train everyday and nearly 1% of 2 days if you start out at 3 days a week first, it's not even a full episode of Vikings:). Ask yourself if you can give that bit of effort to go out and get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sweetlikejelly

So after a stellar four day running/jogging/slowly-progressing streak over Christmas the wheels managed to fall off again :( Motivation really is a flaky mistress!

It's a start though and with tomorrow being a MONDAY I am sure to rediscover my passion and have an active week...just have to keep reminding myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

So after a stellar four day running/jogging/slowly-progressing streak over Christmas the wheels managed to fall off again :( Motivation really is a flaky mistress!

It's a start though and with tomorrow being a MONDAY I am sure to rediscover my passion and have an active week...just have to keep reminding myself!!!

You could try setting a target to help out with motivation - ideally enter a race, or pick a goal time/distance for training.

Advertisement