Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong email on an account

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

This has been happening me for a number of years, and just when I think I have it sorted, I get another one. I signed up to Gmail with firstname.lastname@gmail.com, but the other imposters (and there's more than one) are firstnamelastname@gmail.com

I've had emails from companies they've applied to for jobs, debt collectors, legal firms, insurance firms, childcare facilities, hotels to which they've made a complaint, Christmas photos, wedding photos, and loyalty cards. I've also had religious dating sites email me. There's also some pretty personal stuff, too.

The people in question seem to be from all over the place - one in Ireland, one in Australia, the US, and the UK (and I know where the latter lives due to taxi receipts I receive by email. I tried to contact the company who've no email on their website & I want to avoid the cost international calls).

I've replied to all who've emailed me 'in error' asking them to remove my email address from their database (a little legal jargon works quite well), but it only works until the other person signs up to something else. I've also marked all others as spam, deregistered fr

I've set up another email address, but don't really want to move as I've had this account since Gmail was set up and would rather not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have an Australian doppelgänger also. It doesn’t happen often thankfully. I think she gets gmail and Hotmail mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I keep getting emails for an Alaskan man's hot tub maintenance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I get the wrong emails all the time to date I've had

-Plane tickets
    -Disney tickets
    -Full contact list of proucers/execs/special effects etc for a movie made by fox
    -copy of land rights and legal proceedings for very, very large property in Ireland
    -copies of company minutes, eviction discussions and meeting minutes for an apartment complex in california
    -numerous surveys, receipts etc

Most of the time I say nothing, sometimes I reply telling them they got the address wtong In the instance of the plane ticket I called them.

Sometimes I have some fun, for example the apartment complex management once again copied me in on their email about the complex happenings. They were discussing if they should take action over overdue fees of 250, I replied and said waive it.... I also mentioned they had wrong email addy (they did waive it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think it happens to us all at some stage or another with GMAIL.

I have similar stories to tell.....but having talked to some of the senders, the general consensus is that the sender is the one making the error. They don't take down the email address correctly (forget the "82" etc) on the email address.

OP in your case its a mistake from the yahoo ac owner. I'd suggest that you reset the account password, login and try to find a person they regularly contact. Email them the new password and ask them to pass it on to the email account owner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement