Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple battery replacement - charged for replacement phone

Options
  • 19-12-2018 8:57pm

Hi all, wondering if anyone has had issues with the Apple battery replacement program. I organised to send my iPhone 6 in to get the battery replaced and I just got the phone back & they've replaced the whole phone and charged me for it, rather than just the battery. I'm assuming this is because there was a small crack to the screen, but they never contacted me first to confirm I wanted to replace the phone at cost. I had arranged the repair through their online support and made it very clear I only wanted the battery replaced. I'm now €330 out of pocket just before Christmas, and I'm moving abroad next month and have a huge amount of bills coming up associated with that. Do I have any rights in this situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Nope, it states in the terms and conditions somewhere that if the screen is damaged they can’t take the screen out to replace the battery!

It's a bit crazy that they can do that without asking me first though right? I had no idea the crack would be a problem, the service rep I was talking to didn't mention it. He said something about accidental damage or unauthorised use could result in it being replaced, but as we were talking about my phone battery I assumed he meant damage to the battery or connections.

Also, if I went to a 3rd party shop I'm pretty sure they would have been able to replace the battery even though the screen was cracked. Should have just done that instead, if this is what I get for trying to go the authorised repair route!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's a bit crazy that they can do that without asking me first though right? I had no idea the crack would be a problem, the service rep I was talking to didn't mention it. He said something about accidental damage or unauthorised use could result in it being replaced, but as we were talking about my phone battery I assumed he meant damage to the battery or connections.

Also, if I went to a 3rd party shop I'm pretty sure they would have been able to replace the battery even though the screen was cracked. Should have just done that instead, if this is what I get for trying to go the authorised repair route!

Did you agree to the t&cs before hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You've no comeback, unfortunately. It clearly states if the phones had damage or tampered with they'll replace it for you with a nice, shiny, new phone.

One of the joys of dealing with apple.
    You'd also struggle to get any 3rd party to touch a phone with a cracked screen, it's pretty difficult to change a battery with a cracked screen. Good changes of making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your assuming it was the screen, apple do out of warranty screen replacements, I think it's somewhere around the €150 mark iirc.
    I'd assume there was a liquid indicator tripped or something else besides the screen if you were charged full whack.
    Call them don't email, if it was just the screen they should have just charged you for that and may do something for you when you call.

• Advertisement

I realise now I should have checked the T&Cs more carefully, but as it was arranged with a service rep (and took like, an hour and half on their chat service to set up!) I trusted that he would explain any important information like that clearly...

Even if they couldn't replace the battery for whatever reason, I still think I should have been asked first whether I wanted to go ahead with a replacement instead? I've looked up online if other people had similar problems, and there seems to be lots of stories of people complaining that Apple refused to replace their battery due to various damage, and offered them the option of repairing that damage/replacement first. That seems a lot more reasonable than just charging them the full cost of a new phone without asking if they were ok with that? I'd have rathered they sent it back and I deal with it myself in that case.

I called their customer support last night and they said they'd look into it and call back on Friday so we'll see what happens I guess. Really can't afford this tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I realise now I should have checked the T&Cs more carefully, but as it was arranged with a service rep (and took like, an hour and half on their chat service to set up!) I trusted that he would explain any important information like that clearly...

Even if they couldn't replace the battery for whatever reason, I still think I should have been asked first whether I wanted to go ahead with a replacement instead? I've looked up online if other people had similar problems, and there seems to be lots of stories of people complaining that Apple refused to replace their battery due to various damage, and offered them the option of repairing that damage/replacement first. That seems a lot more reasonable than just charging them the full cost of a new phone without asking if they were ok with that? I'd have rathered they sent it back and I deal with it myself in that case.

I called their customer support last night and they said they'd look into it and call back on Friday so we'll see what happens I guess. Really can't afford this tbh.

I'm sure you'll be able to send it back if you don't want it. It's poor form from Apple if the screen issue is only in the t&c.

Just thinking, the phone was probably bent which would mean replacing the screen wouldn't be possible.
    Unless there in a hard case since new nearly everyone of them is bent a little bit.

RossieMan wrote: »
    One of the joys of dealing with apple.
    You'd also struggle to get any 3rd party to touch a phone with a cracked screen, it's pretty difficult to change a battery with a cracked screen. Good changes of making it worse.

Since screen replacements is one of the main businesses of the phone fix shops I don’t think touching a phone with a broken screen would be an issue. Had an iPhone 6 screen replaced for around 50 euro in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My iPhone screen was lifting at one side, coming out. I used it in the bath and the steam made the screen have white lines. I showed the guy both without telling about the bath shenanigans. He said it looks like it’s an expanding battery (that pushes up the screen). Ordinarily, they replace the battery for £25 but because mine was expanding there was a danger of it exploding so they replaced the entire phone for £25. Think mine is iPhone 5 or 6, not sure. He didn’t seem to be making out it was a grand gesture, more standard business so I’m surprised you got stung for a new iPhone.

Have to say I was delighted because I was willing to buy a new one.

• Advertisement

Since screen replacements is one of the main businesses of the phone fix shops I don’t think touching a phone with a broken screen would be an issue. Had an iPhone 6 screen replaced for around 50 euro in one.

Think there on about replacing a battery when the screen is broken. Not many would attempt it.

My iPhone screen was lifting at one side, coming out. I used it in the bath and the steam made the screen have white lines. I showed the guy both without telling about the bath shenanigans. He said it looks like it’s an expanding battery (that pushes up the screen). Ordinarily, they replace the battery for £25 but because mine was expanding there was a danger of it exploding so they replaced the entire phone for £25. Think mine is iPhone 5 or 6, not sure. He didn’t seem to be making out it was a grand gesture, more standard business so I’m surprised you got stung for a new iPhone.

Have to say I was delighted because I was willing to buy a new one.

Yeah I'm honestly really surprised about this because before this I thought their customer service was generally pretty good. I'll see what they say tomorrow anyway, hopefully they'll be feeling generous just before Christmas!

Just to update this thread, finally got Apple to concede that they should have sent a new invoice before they charged for a replacement phone. They are going to refund me and let me keep the phone. Took a bit of back and forth and delays due to the holidays but glad they saw sense in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Just to update this thread, finally got Apple to concede that they should have sent a new invoice before they charged for a replacement phone. They are going to refund me and let me keep the phone. Took a bit of back and forth and delays due to the holidays but glad they saw sense in the end!
    Happy days! Well done ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Good on you for putting it up to them, Great Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's funny how many on here were willing to defend Apple and suggest you just suck it up.

They can put what they like in the t&cs but it doesn't override your consumer rights. There is no way they can execute a repair and charge you without your explicit authorisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

dubrov wrote: »
    It's funny how many on here were willing to defend Apple and suggest you just suck it up.

They can put what they like in the t&cs but it doesn't override your consumer rights. There is no way they are execute a repair and charge you without your explicit authorisation.

+1

It seems to be the latest craze to sweep the entire forum

dubrov wrote: »

They can put what they like in the t&cs but it doesn't override your consumer rights. There is no way they are execute a repair and charge you without your explicit authorisation.

Yeah, it was always my opinion that regardless of their T&Cs that they should still have to ask for explicit consent to do any repair outside what was initially agreed. I imagine to do otherwise violates some kind of consumer rights?

I was under the impression they tell you it's going to cost to repait it at the start if it's your fault or out of warranty. The prices are on their website for repairs. You also gave them payment details.
    I don't think your consumer rights were broken somebody just concided and wiped the fee. Good result though.

I was under the impression they tell you it's going to cost to repait it at the start if it's your fault or out of warranty. The prices are on their website for repairs. You also gave them payment details.
    I don't think your consumer rights were broken somebody just concided and wiped the fee. Good result though.

Except I was quoted one price for one repair by a service rep and was led to believe that's all I'd be charged. It's not unreasonable to assume any further charges would require my consent as that's how every other repair service I've ever encountered works? The customer service rep said they normally send out new invoices where further repairs are necessary so it seems it was an oversight in this case.

• Advertisement

Yea I've got an invoice from them, they should have ran it by you. Did you get your old phone back or a replacement?

Yea I've got an invoice from them, they should have ran it by you. Did you get your old phone back or a replacement?

A replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If you send your iPhone in for battery replacement or screen repair and other damage is found you should be sent an email with a new price for the extra damage, you can then decide to refuse and get the iPhone back untouched or accept and pay more. It’s up to the customer to admit any damage to the iPhone while the repair is being set up. But the customer should not be charged extra unless they agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're told all of this before you send in your phone.
    You're asked if there is any other damage etc to the phone. If so this will result in additional charges.
    I've sent in my phones multiple times and they've always made this clean to me and its on the terms and conditions you get as well.

And PS ..accidental damage covers a damaged screen for christ's sake.
    How dumb do you have to be to not realise this?

Also fair play to apple for refunding the money. No way any other mobile manufacturer would have done this.
    Apple are gone to the dogs lately in their upgrades and the new macbooks etc but their repair process and customer support etc is excellent and second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you send your iPhone in for battery replacement or screen repair and other damage is found you should be sent an email with a new price for the extra damage, you can then decide to refuse and get the iPhone back untouched or accept and pay more. It’s up to the customer to admit any damage to the iPhone while the repair is being set up. But the customer should not be charged extra unless they agree to it.

So you want Apple to cover postage both ways even if the customer decides that he doesn't want to proceed with a repair?
    How do you think they will cover this? Out of the goodness of their hearts or like any other business and pass it onto their customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

Blazer wrote:
    Also fair play to apple for refunding the money. No way any other mobile manufacturer would have done this. Apple are gone to the dogs lately in their upgrades and the new macbooks etc but their repair process and customer support etc is excellent and second to none.

The only option Apple had was to restore the phone to its previous state or write off their mistake. They chose the latter which is what I'd expect any other phone manufacturer to do.

Blazer wrote: »
    You're told all of this before you send in your phone.
    You're asked if there is any other damage etc to the phone. If so this will result in additional charges.
    I've sent in my phones multiple times and they've always made this clean to me and its on the terms and conditions you get as well.

And PS ..accidental damage covers a damaged screen for christ's sake.
    How dumb do you have to be to not realise this?

Also fair play to apple for refunding the money. No way any other mobile manufacturer would have done this.
    Apple are gone to the dogs lately in their upgrades and the new macbooks etc but their repair process and customer support etc is excellent and second to none.

That would all be fair enough if it had been explained to me, but it hadn't. I set up the repair with a rep online and they didn't say if your screen is cracked we can't replace the battery so we'll give you a new phone instead? I didn't realise that would be the case and it's their job to explain it to me, and to give me an appropriate quote for the repair they are going to carry out.

On the subject of shipping, I didn't even realise that they charge for collection and delivery of the phone until I got the phone back with the invoice listing the delivery charge. That was another charge that wasn't communicated to me and if I had known it would be an extra €10 on top of the battery replacement cost I probably would have just gone with a third party repair tbh. I would have happily paid the delivery cost to get my old phone back if they told me they couldn't replace the battery and the only option was the replace the phone, rather than have the two weeks of stress I experienced over Christmas unsure of whether I could afford to pay all the bills I have coming up.

Also, I offered to send the replacement phone back to them when they told me they were going to refund me, I never assumed I could keep it and I had left it in the box from the moment I received it until they said I could keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Well done. You stuck it to the man. You were right not to take that crap from them.

Advertisement