Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating at home

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

yeah its a gas boiler with instant water heating id say, modern enough ,

fireplace and an electric rad are your best bet lad.

Yup. I'd suggest trying to get the landlord to provide an electric radiator or 2 in the interim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Here are pictures there is a switch but I turn it on or off it doesn't work.

https://i.postimg.cc/RZZ8BgPw/DSC-0395.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bN8W6ykC/DSC-0396.jpg

May be I am not looking at the right switch, but that looks like the switch for the motors that push the hot water around the radiators and hot tank, not an emersion.
    An emersion switch usually have a little red light on the switch to indicate if it is on or off, like the main switch to an electric cooker it would look like

aaakev wrote: »
    Whos on a high horse?? Trying to help out and save a mother and brothers life here....

Pfff, boiler broken? Just turn on your immersion, get a fire going, and use the back boiler, obvs!! Don't forget to run the gas off the electricity in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

aaakev wrote: »
    Whos on a high horse?? Trying to help out and save a mother and brothers life here....

Pfff, boiler broken? Just turn on your immersion, get a fire going, and use the back boiler, obvs!! Don't forget to run the gas off the electricity in the mean time.
    And what would you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

no, he's not. A boiler has broken on the busiest week for boilers breaking of the year, the landlord has agreed to replace it but has ordered one from poland to save money , you have a fire in your house, possibly electric radiators also and a kettle or immersion to heat water. Nobody will die , you'll be grand.

But ordering it from Poland creates a feeling of unnecessary delay.

What would be interesting to know is whether there is a suitable boiler available in stock in Ireland.

And how fast the plumber could get around to fitting it.

Because this is a really a let's get it done ASAP job in my opinion.

So can it be done faster.

If you were leasing a car and you were told you'd be without heating for the christmas you'd be having war with the leasing company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Contact landlord and request -

1- Some form of heater for each room.
    2- Some way of heating water for showering, washing dishes etc.

Follow up in writing.

This has to be a pi**take.

OP, if you’re genuine, light the fire. Buy a couple of heaters for bedrooms and boil a kettle for hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Got a better suggestion? Op said the new boiler is ordered. Not an ideal situation but what can ya do?

This has to be a pi**take.

OP, if you’re genuine, light the fire. Buy a couple of heaters for bedrooms and boil a kettle for hot water.

Why is it a pi**take?????.

According to the OP there are two sick people in the house.
    They need a little help and understanding from the LL.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    According to the OP there are two sick people in the house.
    They need a little help and understanding from the LL.

I don't know about you but it's the running off to some random place in Poland to order up a boiler that's getting me a bit riled up.

Can't help but feel it makes the job longer then it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus the reactions to the question is disgusting. Why is it necessary to slag off every question. And laugh at people with no heating in December.This forum gets worse by day.

For hot water, in a lot of houses where there is an open fire you can heat water from that. There is a boiler that will be heated from it. If you are not sure then maybe ring the landlord and see if they can help on this.

Do you have amy body that you could borrow an electric heater from? These are plug in and could be used for bedrooms for those that are sick.

Again, can the landlord help on this, maybe they have one to borrow.

When dealing with the landlord outline your concerns calmly and see can they help.

If you have an open fire, it will help so start using this. I hope you and your family are okay. It shouldn't be that cold that you are in danger but if people are sick and immobile you need to be more aware and ensure they are wrapped up and safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Where you based OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Why would the landlord be trying to save money on a boiler, are repairs not tax deductible or only part?

Old diesel wrote: »
    I don't know about you but it's the running off to some random place in Poland to order up a boiler that's getting me a bit riled up.

Can't help but feel it makes the job longer then it needs to be.

I'd have no problem with LL ordering from wherever to save a few bob if it was a planned replacement and the old boiler was working. This is different. Leaving a tenant without heating or hot water at this time of year is unacceptable. The onus is clearly on LL to sort this out asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Some heartless people on this thread. Life is hard enough without landlords making tenants wait 6+ days for a boiler, over christmas.

I can tell you now, as someone who has had to actually live in these conditions for prolonged periods of time, it is relatively difficult to heat a house on open fires, portable radiators and kettle water without spending an absolute fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

imo Landlord should provide 2 or 3 electric convector heaters or a couple of super ser type gas heater until the boiler has been fixed.

LL may be sourcing the new boiler from Poland because it's not available here or its half the price, who knows, but the tenants need heating in the house.

in fairness to the 'LL though, even if the new boiler was available here, getting a plumber this week would be very difficult.

Easiest thing is for 'll to provide another heat source.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Unfortunately it would be very hard to get a plumber before January anyway.

One of those little fan heaters upstairs and downstairs will do the trick. You'd probably get one in argos for 15 quid or so. Get the landlord to reimburse you the 30 euro or so.

I always think it's bad practice to just have one source of hot water. I'd either have an immersion or electric shower too if I were a landlord. Takes the panic off when a boiler breaks down - which isn't uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some heartless people on this thread. Life is hard enough without landlords making tenants wait 6+ days for a boiler, over christmas.

I can tell you now, as someone who has had to actually live in these conditions for prolonged periods of time, it is relatively difficult to heat a house on open fires, portable radiators and kettle water without spending an absolute fortune.

A boiler wouldn't be fitted now even if one had it.

Isn't it amazing that when one owns their house they have to wait or maybe can't even afford to replace.

One unfortunately has to make do.

My mum passed away and we had no heat at home for 2 years.
    It wasn't ideal and we just had to live with it as that's as much as we could do.

6 days or 2 weeks it's going to be fixed so don't really understand the big issue.

They are lucky their ll is actually doing anything.

Contact Treshold immediately ask for advise. There's free number 1800 454 454 on their site.

Urgent: You have heating system not working (particularly in winter).
    Suggested timeframe for urgent repairs: 3-5 days.

I don’t know what planet people are on if you think getting a boiler replaced in 3 to 5 days is in anyway realistic. You haven’t a hope of getting a plumber organized, him getting a boiler organized and getting it done any quicker than the space of a few weeks. Plumbers are mad busy and don’t really want these jobs at the moment.

Ordering it from Poland (while a bit mad) will likely make no difference to how long it takes. The boiler will be long arrived here before it’s fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A boiler wouldn't be fitted now even if one had it.

Isn't it amazing that when one owns their house they have to wait or maybe can't even afford to replace.

One unfortunately has to make do.

My mum passed away and we had no heat at home for 2 years.
    It wasn't ideal and we just had to live with it as that's as much as we could do.

6 days or 2 weeks it's going to be fixed so don't really understand the big issue.

They are lucky their ll is actually doing anything.
    Lucky that their landlord is doing anything? Are you joking. Any decent landlord would do something (as the landlord is)
    This isn't 1818 where you are lucky to have heating. It's a basic requirement. It is a big issue so maybe offer some helpful advice?

lollsangel wrote: »
    And what would you suggest?

Not jumping to conclusions that the op has all these alternative methods of heating/hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

No one is being heartless. With 2 sick ppl in the house the op needs to have some form heating. People are just giving alternatives whule waiting for the replacement. Frankly the op wanting to call the guards or saying lifes are at risk is absurd

Realistically the boiler will not be fixed this side of xmas, even if the ll had a new boiler in the yard tomorrow the chances of having it installed are slim and none.

We used an open fire and portable heaters in a house a few years back when we had a similar situation a few years ago...literally moved ourselves and the kiddies into the sitting room while waiting for it to be repaired. We however did have an electric shower and immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don’t know what planet people are on if you think getting a boiler replaced in 3 to 5 days is in anyway realistic. You haven’t a hope of getting a plumber organized, him getting a boiler organized and getting it done any quicker than the space of a few weeks. Plumbers are mad busy and don’t really want these jobs at the moment.

Ordering it from Poland (while a bit mad) will likely make no difference to how long it takes. The boiler will be long arrived here before it’s fitted.

I guarantee you if you make a post on tradesman offering 5k to the first person that gets a boiler in you'd have it done in a day.

I do believe there was a case discussed here within the last few years where a tenant was suing their LL because it took more than 3 days to fix a heating issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Why would LL order a piece of equipment "from Poland" - are they in plumbing business, or have they agreed with someone in plumbing business what needs to be ordered for the house?

Does anyone know if a tenant might be entitled to reduced rent for the duration the house doesn't have heating ?

It's difficult for a tenant to face the unexpected cost of -

1- Solid fuel for the open fire.
    2- Purchase and use of electric heaters for each room.
    3- Use of kettle to boil water for washing etc.

This would apply at any time, in Christmas week it may be impossible.

The tenant pays the rent to the LL and is entitled to a comfortable house in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I keep telling my landlord order one from Ireland why Poland for god sake?? And no response.
    I'm guessing that's where the plumber ordered it from. Or cost. Boilers aren't cheap.

If your landlord inspected the property, they could have been flagged it earlier. Because you stopped him from inspecting it, you have shot yourself in the foot regarding a complaint to RTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lucky that their landlord is doing anything? Are you joking. Any decent landlord would do something (as the landlord is)
    This isn't 1818 where you are lucky to have heating. It's a basic requirement. It is a big issue so maybe offer some helpful advice?

I did offer some advice if you cared to look back and read what I said.

Be realistic there are bad tenants and bad ll.

I had to wait 8 months for them to actually send someone out to investigate why mushrooms and severe mould growth was so bad. I knew why and told them but they decided, well the builder(not really a builder) said we were drying clothes indoors.

This was absolute bull.... The windows were cracked, broken, not sitting in right, front door didn't even line up with the rest and the draughts were ridiculous.
    The walls had no insulation at all and it was just pumped plaster on granite stone.

We took it in the summer when all was fairly ok but by God after 2 months we were all sick, clothes destroyed, shoes, passports and other important documents all beyond use.

We had the heat on near constant and had to open all the windows in the day.

I've never actually seen anything like it since and to be honest a barn would be healthier.

I already offered up advice.

They have a fire, they can get an electronic heater or fan to do a while, get a gas heater etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Yup. I'd suggest trying to get the landlord to provide an electric radiator or 2 in the interim.

Genuine question, is the ll obligated to provide electric rads. Anytime its happened to my tenants, they used their own electric heaters knowing the boiler would be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

macnug wrote: »
    Why would the landlord be trying to save money on a boiler, are repairs not tax deductible or only part?

They are however its deductable over 8 years. Likewise lets say a boiler costs 1k. It effect its a net cost of around 500e to the ll. Labour is the more expensive cost here so i wonder how much he would be saving.

Tbh coming up to xmas. It was doubtful you would get this replaced on this side of the nee year and your just unlucky with timing. Any good plumber will have a good few jobs lined up and can be hard to get a hold let alone around xmas. A boiler job would be min of a full 2 day commitment for a plumber as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement