Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating at home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Fol20 wrote: »
    Genuine question, is the ll obligated to provide electric rads. Anytime its happened to my tenants, they used their electric heaters knowing the boiler would be replaced.

The landlord is required to provide a working heating system at all times. It doesn't matter if it is oil, gas, coal or electric. I don't believe there are any more specifics than that. A court would have to decide that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

elperello wrote: »
    It's difficult for a tenant to face the unexpected cost of -

1- Solid fuel for the open fire.
    2- Purchase and use of electric heaters for each room.
    3- Use of kettle to boil water for washing etc.

This would apply at any time, in Christmas week it may be impossible.

The tenant pays the rent to the LL and is entitled to a comfortable house in return.

Jesus wept, no wonder so many landlords are fleeing the market.

I really despair at the 'entitled' people in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They are however its deductable over 8 years. Likewise lets say a boiler costs 1k. It effect its a net cost of around 500e to the ll. Labour is the more expensive cost here so i wonder how much he would be saving.

Tbh coming up to xmas. It was doubtful you would get this replaced on this side of the nee year and your just unlucky with timing. Any good plumber will have a good few jobs lined up and can be hard to get a hold let alone around xmas. A boiler job would be min of a full 2 day commitment for a plumber as well

Boilers are lot more then that and honestly not all LL are business people or flush with cash.

Of course it's upsetting or just annoying but these things happen and we sometimes have to work around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

GarIT wrote: »
    I guarantee you if you make a post on tradesman offering 5k to the first person that gets a boiler in you'd have it done in a day.

I do believe there was a case discussed here within the last few years where a tenant was suing their LL because it took more than 3 days to fix a heating issue.

Gl winning a case when its only 3 days. I highly doubt the RTB would side woth the tenant here when the ll is organizing for it to be fixed, coupled with the fact that its xmas and everything will be shut down for the next 2 weeks anyway

I don't know how many heaters they would need but their next electricity bill will be huge, they should discuss that with the landlord as well, because if landlord can't fix it he has to cover any extra expenses for sure. That would be fair, it wasn't tenants fault and LL is responsible

Correct me if im wrong But i dont believe ll have to cover their cost of their electricity. In essence, they would have a form of heating similr to electric rads for a temporary period of time so would meet requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Steve wrote: »
    Jesus wept, no wonder so many landlords are fleeing the market.

I really despair at the 'entitled' people in this country.

Yes being a landlord can be a hard old station but when push comes to shove you have obligations to the people who pay you rent.

Gl winning a case when its only 3 days. I highly doubt the RTB would side woth the tenant here when the ll is organizing for it to be fixed, coupled with the fact that its xmas and everything will be shut down for the next 2 weeks anyway

I've no idea how it went but I do think threshold were suggesting they would win. Threshold are often wrong though, criminal organisation as far as I'm concerned. I vaguely remember there answer being what I had said above, that there is no such thing as can't be done today, you can increase what your offer until it does get done today.

The landlord is required to provide a working heating system at all times. It doesn't matter if it is oil, gas, coal or electric. I don't believe there are any more specifics than that. A court would have to decide that one.

As long as they are actioning thenissue in a timely mannor, it doesnt specify if they have to provide a temporary solution. Im still interested in this as im actually not a 100pc confident on it. Is there anything that confirma yay or nay on this. The main aspect is a temp fix when its being actioned

Correct me if im wrong But i dont believe ll have to cover their cost of their electricity. In essence, they would have a form of heating similr to electric rads for a temporary period of time so would meet requirements

I believe you are correct. It is an unfortunate unexpected cost for the tenant, and may be a significant enough change that they could break their lease over it (although the they can essentially do that anyway) but the landlord would not be responsible for the coasts of the electricity.

Boilers are lot more then that and honestly not all LL are business people or flush with cash.

Of course it's upsetting or just annoying but these things happen and we sometimes have to work around.

Im not including labour and vat. You are able to get a boiler for that price.

Speaking from a ll point of view, your in the wrong business if you dont have a rainy day fund for big jobs like this. You should have at least 3-6months of expenses just prepped and ready to go as a backup. Dont get me wrong, id prefer not to be spending a few k however its part and parcel of the business. I know for some ll that are struggling, this could defenitely force them under some serious hardship however its never good to be just about balancing the books if nothing major is happening.

• Advertisement

I believe you are correct. It is an unfortunate unexpected cost for the tenant, and may be a significant enough change that they could break their lease over it (although the they can essentially do that anyway) but the landlord would not be responsible for the coasts of the electricity.

I wonder how the eu model works for boiler issues. Does the ll or tenant repair them i wonder

Probably not much use, OP, but I live in Drogheda. If you're anywhere nearby I can lend you two plug-in 2kw heaters for the time being (I'll want them back though :P ).

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Probably not much use, OP, but I live in Drogheda. If you're anywhere nearby I can lend you two plug-in 2kw heaters for the time being (I'll want them back though :P ).

Ah thanks so much for the kindness. Unfortunately I'm all the in kildare but I highly appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah thanks so much for the kindness. Unfortunately I'm all the in kildare but I highly appreciate it.

Hoping you get some real help with this.

Please call Threshold when they open as they will advise and support you in this. The landlord does have obligations

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/

They can also speak to the landlord on your behalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's where the plumber ordered it from. Or cost. Boilers aren't cheap.

If your landlord inspected the property, they could have been flagged it earlier. Because you stopped him from inspecting it, you have shot yourself in the foot regarding a complaint to RTB.

What if the boiler was working fine at the time the landlord wanted to inspect.

All a landlord can see during an inspection is

1) does the boiler basically work - makes the right noiseside, all correct lights come on - radiators heat up etc.

2) unless he has someone literally strip down the boiler - the inspection would not reveal whether a boiler will work well in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

One unfortunately has to make do.

Isn't it amazing that when one owns their house they have to wait or maybe can't even afford to replace.

The difference is when you are renting to someone you are providing a service for something and therefore have obligations and the tenant should not have to 'make do'. It's basically the main /only benefit when you are forced to rent as you can't afford to buy your own property. If you were renting something else and continuing to pay for that item and it wasn't fit for purpose you would have to do something.
    The very least the LL should be doing is checking to see if the tenant has heaters and trying to help source some if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I sincerely doubt any ones life is at risk anbd I feel you are exaggerating.
    Can you not get some.plug in fan heaters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And why is a boiler being ordered from Poland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

aaakev wrote: »
    Im guessing you are not from around here. In the hotpress there will be a switch, turn it on but whatever you do remember to turn it off or an Irish mammy will come round and kick your ass....

If the mammies back then only knew that it was cheaper to leave it on the whole time as it only uses electricity when water is drawn off. It was costing a way more to heat a full tank than keep it hot all the time.

ebbsy wrote: »

More than likely cost or a similar unit to replace it so less parts and equipment to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Some heartless people on this thread. Life is hard enough without landlords making tenants wait 6+ days for a boiler, over christmas.

I can tell you now, as someone who has had to actually live in these conditions for prolonged periods of time, it is relatively difficult to heat a house on open fires, portable radiators and kettle water without spending an absolute fortune.

You weren’t around back in the 70’s then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ebbsy wrote: »

Exactly.

No matter how right or fair the landlords response - that alone gives a tenant an impression of a lack of urgency to what the tenant considers a significant issue.

I don't know anyone whose immediate thought on needing a new boiler is to order up from Poland.

Even for things like backup if it goes wrong it would seem sensible to buy through an Irish supplier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m a landlord and no way should the tenants be treated like this.

I’d be straight onto the landlord to provide some alternative heating be that electric heaters or whatever.

Oil filled rads are great electric heaters as most have thermostat you can set a temp and it will safely maintain it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I do yes but that's not a fix because I got no freaking hot water

Most people grew up in the country back in the day, with no central heating and no running hot water, we survived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi all. Since Monday my boiler has broken down and I emailed the agent whom sent down a plumber. The guy said that this boiler is way too old and it's obsolete so he called the landlord right there and she said that she will get it fixed asap.

So apparent she ordered one from Poland and it's not going to be available till after Christmas possibly new year. Now my mom is sick so is my younger brother who has just had a surgery.

I keep telling my landlord order one from Ireland why Poland for god sake?? And no response.

I was wondering can I go to the Gardai about this because she doesn't seem to give a damn.

why would the guards give a toss?

The house was built about 17 years ago. I kept telling my landlord to install a switch for it but to this date he hasn't done anything

ask the landlord how to switch on the immersion...

be quicker than a thread on boards wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Most people grew up in the country back in the day, with no central heating and no running hot water, we survived.

Fair play to them but the fact is today LL's have an obligation to have working heating and hot water supply. And they should be doing their utmost to resolve the situation. Ordering a new boiler from Poland is not that.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    ask the landlord how to switch on the immersion...

be quicker than a thread on boards wouldn't it?

There is no immersion, there is a hot water tank with no heating immersion.

On that though, I would try suggest to LL that they install one, you can see the place where it goes on the tank. Would potentially be quicker that getting a new boiler and that and an electric rad or two would tide you over until teh new boiler gets installed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Fair play to them but the fact is today LL's have an obligation to have working heating and hot water supply. And they should be doing their utmost to resolve the situation. Ordering a new boiler from Poland is not that.

There is no immersion, there is a hot water tank with no heating immersion.

On that though, I would try suggest to LL that they install one, you can see the place where it goes on the tank. Would potentially be quicker that getting a new boiler and that and an electric rad or two would tide you over until teh new boiler gets installed.

Are LL obliged to provide hot running water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

If you can make your way to Blanchardstown i can lend you two electric radiators.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement