Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating at home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Most people grew up in the country back in the day, with no central heating and no running hot water, we survived.

I learned to drive in a 1980s Nissan with no airbags, no ABS and it had a carbarettor.

I survived - but guess what - airbags, ABS, electronic fuel injection are all great things to have.

Life moves on and what was okay 30 years ago isn't today.

Property suppliers need to evolve to meet a market where fewer people grow up with open fires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Most people grew up in the country back in the day, with no central heating and no running hot water, we survived.

And sure didn't we all live in caves as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Calm lads...calm.

OP it's not an ideal situation for sure and it's stressful when thing's like this happen particularly around this time of the year and when it's cold, nobodies life in under threat so try and maintain some composure and get priorities in a row , the boiler is done for and a new one has been ordered - yes it could be done quicker but the landlord has the right to choose his supplier and he's chosen to go for a boiler from Poland, I'm not sure why as surely he could have got one cheaper in Ireland and opt for tax back on the home renovation scheme but don't worry about that it's his decision and it'll be sorted when it arrives , your concern is what to do in the meantime.

I'd call the landlord , thank him for ordering the boiler and ask can we come to an arrangement in the interim as you need to keep some heat in the house for your family and also to prevent damage to his property from possible mould growth or freezing rooms, as such you propose you'll need to buy some stuff.

* Fuel for the open fire additional logs , coal etc
    * A gas fired mobile heater for one or two of the bedrooms with gas bottles
    * Some electric blankets or heavy blankets
    * Electric heaters

Obviously one or two of the above would be good options and get you over the hump , ask if he would assist in the payment for thw above , meet you half way or give some rent reduction due to the inconvenience..

Don't just jump off the handle , you'd be amazed what you can do when you communicate with people calmly and with a clear head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lidl have these for sale for E 17, this might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

lawred2 wrote: »
    And sure didn't we all live in caves as well

I am one of those that lived in a house without central heating, just a fire in sitting room,
    But a good fire kept on from morning to night would warm up the place,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »
    I am one of those that lived in a house without central heating, just a fire in sitting room,

That is not really the point here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have seen multiple adverts recently for new combi boilers supply and install for E1600-1800 including a power flush... Look, we dont know the LL circumstances, but he'd want to be fairly broke or just very stingy to have a tenant ****ed over like that...

Also I dont just buy this typical Irish "its a few years old, its ****e, f*ck it out" bull****. Its very convenient that this is probably the far more economically advantageous and easier option for the plumber...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I have seen multiple adverts recently for new combi boilers supply and install for E1600-1800 including a power flush... Look, we dont know the LL circumstances, but he'd want to be fairly broke or just very stingy to have a tenant ****ed over like that...

Thats 1600 - 1800 after SEAI grant. Thats also for the smallest possible boiler running few rads. Most landlords are looking more at €2500

OP, I'm replacing my own boiler at the moment. We had to wait 7 days for a slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is not really the point here though.

But the op has a fire place so could easily use this for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    If the mammies back then only knew that it was cheaper to leave it on the whole time as it only uses electricity when water is drawn off. It was costing a way more to heat a full tank than keep it hot all the time.

Except that's not actually true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

But the op has a fire place so could easily use this for the moment.

But Graces7 works for Threshold and is hell bent on sending the tenant that way...to get poor advise and cause a dispute where none exists...its unfortunate the timing over christmas means there wont be any one to replace it. Its not like the LL has ignored the tenant, they sent someone there pretty sharpish who advised LL to replace it...then LL without delay ordered new one.

Cheap electric heaters, fireplace etc. until boiler is replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Effects wrote: »
    Except that's not actually true.

Has this ever been proven one way or the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Idbatterim wrote: »

Also I dont just buy this typical Irish "its a few years old, its ****e, f*ck it out" bull****. Its very convenient that this is probably the far more economically advantageous and easier option for the plumber...

The main word you missed in your pricing quote is “from” 1600+. Depending on layout of boiler. Costs can gonup a lot. As others have pointed out even if he had the boiler, its very unlikely he could get a plumber to install this side of new years. How is he f**** the tenant over. He has provided an action plan to complete the issue. If he left out thenword poland, people would be none the wiser.

Ll might replace washing machines and small appliances if its easier but replacing an expensive piece of kit like a boiler is a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When I seen this thread 1st I was thinking oh God they must be weeks, months nearly a year waiting but no...... No I was wrong very wrong it's not even a week.

Bashing the LL in this case is very wrong as mentioned already they are actually doing something.

If the op could get back to clear up a few things that would help as they have got great advice and are not left with no means of heat.

I have already stated it's not ideal and of course it's a pain but at least it's not the only heat source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I don’t know what planet people are on if you think getting a boiler replaced in 3 to 5 days is in anyway realistic. You haven’t a hope of getting a plumber organized, him getting a boiler organized and getting it done any quicker than the space of a few weeks. Plumbers are mad busy and don’t really want these jobs at the moment.

Ordering it from Poland (while a bit mad) will likely make no difference to how long it takes. The boiler will be long arrived here before it’s fitted.

You'd be surprised how fast my nephew's landlady got it fixed after a solicitors letter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You'd be surprised how fast my nephew's landlady got it fixed after a solicitors letter.

Exactly how long did that take? and how much did the solicitor charge?

But Graces7 works for Threshold and is hell bent on sending the tenant that way...to get poor advise and cause a dispute where none exists...its unfortunate the timing over christmas means there wont be any one to replace it. Its not like the LL has ignored the tenant, they sent someone there pretty sharpish who advised LL to replace it...then LL without delay ordered new one.

Cheap electric heaters, fireplace etc. until boiler is replaced.

From her posts I understood Graces7 to be an elderly lady who is retired from working.

She may be possibly mistaken* in her belief Threshold are a good organisation but I see nothing to see that she works for them.

*never had any dealings with Threshold

On a wider level - lets be clear here.....

The plumbing industry shouldnt be leaving people stuck waiting without heating for two weeks. Big black mark for that industry. Culture seems a bit off but hey ho.

Running off to some random supplier in Poland also isn't what you do either if your aim is to get your tenants heating back online ASAP.

If you want to get your boiler replaced quickly then you would exhaust all possibilities in Ireland - maybe even a place in your local town or city.

It's a tricky problem because the landlord may well feel she is doing her best.

There is little doubt that ordering from Poland isnt painting a great picture off this landlords response.

It gives an impression of someone delaying vital work to save say 500 quid.

This may well be unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Old diesel wrote: »
    The plumbing industry shouldnt be leaving people stuck waiting without heating for two weeks. Big black mark for that industry. Culture seems a bit off but hey ho.
    Plumbers are people. They will organise time off for themselves for the xmas period. On top of this, they'll have jobs lined up to do once they go back to work. Putting a boiler in will need time booked for said installation.
    There is little doubt that ordering from Poland isnt painting a great picture off this landlords response.
    You say it like the landlord has a choice in the matter. The plumber said that the boiler was gone. The plumber most likely said that they have ordered it from Poland, and that it'll arrive after xmas.

the_syco wrote: »
    Plumbers are people. They will organise time off for themselves for the xmas period. On top of this, they'll have jobs lined up to do once they go back to work. Putting a boiler in will need time booked for said installation.

You say it like the landlord has a choice in the matter. The plumber said that the boiler was gone. The plumber most likely said that they have ordered it from Poland, and that it'll arrive after xmas.

People in all sorts of jobs are people and still many will work over the Christmas.

The original OP of the thread indicates that

1) the plumber decided the boiler needed replacement.

2) the landlord ordered up from Poland.

At least that's my reading of the post but I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

goat2 wrote: »

Fuel was a lot cheaper back then... and open fire it needs someone at home and alert tending it during the day.

Plus if open fire hasnt been lit in years chimney could be blocked or in major need of sweeping by a professional.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

If a tenant sent me a solicitors letter, i would completely go on defensive. There would be no good will between us anymore and if you want something fixed, i would be doing the minimum that is sufficient. If rent can be increased. It would.

You dont go straight to somwthing like that. Thats a laat resort and the tenant is without heating for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1) the plumber decided the boiler needed replacement.

2) the landlord ordered up from Poland.
    Who would install said boiler? Most tradepeople won't install cheap crap that the client buys, as the tradespeople have to stand over their work. So I doubt the OP's LL ordered the boiler; most likely the plumber did so, and informed the LL, who informed the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 BrokenWingz

Several years ago our boiler quit on Christmas Eve. It took us three weeks to finally get someone out who knew what they were doing and got the boiler fixed. My sympathy to the OP, it’s a very unpleasant experience, we got by with an electric shower in one bathroom and an electric heater for the main room. If I didn’t already hate Christmas that year would’ve done it!

I don’t care how fast you claim it can be sorted. I can tell you for a fact sorting a boiler replacement for our own house that it takes a long time to get it done between getting a plumber that’s interested, then how long it takes him to source a boiler (it’s not as straight forward as just going and buying the first one you find, it can be difficult to find one to fit where the old one was etc) and after all that getting a day he is free to do it. It’s on the order of weeks and most likely months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Has this ever been proven one way or the other?

Of course it has. It’s rocket science, just regular science.

the_syco wrote: »

He has a responsibilty to the tenants. So yes he has a choice.

Fol20 wrote: »
    If a tenant sent me a solicitors letter, i would completely go on defensive. There would be no good will between us anymore and if you want something fixed, i would be doing the minimum that is sufficient. If rent can be increased. It would.

You dont go straight to somwthing like that. Thats a laat resort and the tenant is without heating for a few days.

:confused:

From her posts I understood Graces7 to be an elderly lady who is retired from working.

She may be possibly mistaken* in her belief Threshold are a good organisation but I see nothing to see that she works for them.

*never had any dealings with Threshold

I have had many dealings with Threshold in my long thankfully over years of private renting. I have always, every time, found them accurate, punctilious and always correct where rental law is concerned. Maybe far more so than I would have liked ;)

They also will act as advocate which helps when you have an angry landlord.
    They are also supportive. Which is needed when you are facing eviction.
    Without their help I like many would have been in greater stress. At my advanced age that matters.

The last private landlord I asked their help with ended up in court.

I read some of the alleged cases against them; easy to see how things in a heated time got misinterpreted and also how the criticisms come from landlords who do not like to be stood up to.

Interesting thought; has anyone taken Threshold to court? For alleged illegal advice?

They are a sterling and reputable organisation and much needed in these hard times.. Please stop trying to prevent folk needing legal and much needed advice and support from contacting them? Thank you.

• Advertisement

indeed yes.. been there done that. works every time ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement