Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating at home

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,068 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I’m telling you from experience this year during the summer when demand would not be as high that it took over a month to get a new boiler fitted in our own house.

A boiler fitting takes at least one full day if not more, fitting the immersion could be done as a nixer in the evening.

Which is why boilers should be replaced in summer after theyve completed their service years rather than waiting to die in winter.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Which is why boilers should be replaced in summer after theyve completed their service years rather than waiting to die in winter.

Boilers are expensive nobody replaces them until they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Boilers are expensive nobody replaces them until they die.

You replace them when it's serviced and the man says it needs to be replaced. As my landlord did this summer,before it went.

You replace them when it's serviced and the man says it needs to be replaced. As my landlord did this summer,before it went.

You replace them when they pack it in, that’s what 99.9% of people do. A boiler could last years after being “advised” to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You replace them when they pack it in, that’s what 99.9% of people do. A boiler could last years after being “advised” to replace it.

You have a survey to back that up or just assuming that the world agrees with you. I would rather to with the advise if a professional. Fairly sure that would be better in terms of safety but feel free to save a few quid. They only last a certain amount of time anyway so you would be aware it's coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got the landlord to install a immersion for the hot water and managed to get some electric heaters and all but I'm so sure my electricity bill is going to go through the roof! Was wondering is there any law for tenants that I can use to get my landlord to pay for the electricity or at least reduce the rent or something?

Reduce your useage and it will reduce your bill.

It’s not the LL’s fault if you use excessive amounts of a utility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yeh the boiler broke down in 2012 too the guy who repaired it said this needs to be replaced because its very very old but your landlord refuses and says just buy a part for it. The guy that came in today said its gone obsolete and that no way you can get parts for it. It's an Baxi Luna boiler.

Baxi Luna 3 condensing gas boiler has only been on the market around 20 years. The house is 17 years old. Yes, the boiler probably does need replacement at this stage- however, its not 'very very old'- and it was one of the most energy efficient boilers available when it was installed. The expected lifespan of a boiler is easily 10-12 years- I got 20 years out of a Potterton recently, before I replaced it. The plumber who repaired the boiler- most probably wanted to sell your landlord a new boiler. Given the age of the Baxi Luna- it is true that it is probably difficult to get parts now- however, the idea that its 'very very old' simply isn't true- it may be at the end of its economic life- but its not an antique by any means.

I'd strongly recommend getting a few oil filled radiators in DID Electrical/Powercity to keep you going- they have both timers and thermostats on them- one for each bedroom is probably a good direction to go. You can normally get a reasonable discount on display models.

Vis-a-vis installing a new boiler- I'm really sorry- where the boiler is coming from really doesn't matter- getting the boiler people to install it at this time of the year- is the issue. Even if you ring them and try to plead a case- make out its an emergency or plead extenuating circumstances- you're still looking at weeks. The only way to ensure you get a callout in any sort of a reasonable timeframe at this time of the year is if you take out a maintenance/emergency call-out contract with a supplier. Bord Gais Home is the biggest in the Irish market- its a contract that costs between 10 and 15 a month, and gets added onto your gas bill. Its the only way of guaranteeing a callout at this time of the year..........

I think a few oil filled radiators are definitely your best course of action- you can literally walk into any of the stores and bring them home with you (note- they're heavy- if you have stairs etc- get help carrying them).

If its an emergency- get a few oil filled rads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the OP now has a working immersion heater and a temporary solution for their heating needs- while awaiting getting the main heating system replaced- I am closing this thread.

Just to note- the standard of posting and the advice offered by posters- has been quite appalling. It is not acceptable to troll, bait or make completely irresponsible or irrational suggestions to the OP (or anyone else)- and throw away snide comments such as suggesting the OP go to the Gardaí or ring Joe Duffy- is not an acceptable standard of posting in our forum.

In short- cop on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement