Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some suggestions for someone related

Options
  • 19-12-2018 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Scenario is that someone in my family is planning to emigrate to Germany (DE) beginning of next year (2 adults and a 3yo).
    - The husband got a job offer he accepted, for the same company he's working in current country, to start next February/March. Wife was planning to work remotely until April with current employer, meanwhile look for work in DE, hoping she can start a new role once they settle the toddler in creche.
    - But the wife works in a domain that seems to be in demand - not long after she started applying for roles in same city/DE, din an interview this week and she also got a job offer (better pay than the husband for a start).

There is a small detail - hence my reason for asking suggestions here: she found out same week with the interview that she is expecting.
    - Assume she would tell them that she can't accept the offer with this reason.

This situation made me wonder: how would such scenario play in Ireland, if a prospect employee from within EU is pregnant during the interview - will they be getting hired or not ? What is legal and what happens in practice ?

Also, does anyone have knowledge of what is the EU legislation about this ?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/maternity_protection.html

This link outlines German law regarding job protection during pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

why could she not accept the offer?

if she tells the company and they are happy to accept her knowing ahes pregnant then theres no issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

To the best of my knowledge, German law is far superior to Irish law when it comes to maternity protection. A woman can’t be fired for being pregnant, is protected from being laid off (even during probation), gets 2 years paid maternity leave and must be offered Flexi time upon return.

It one of the reasons Germany actually has such an imbalance of gender equality in senior positions and senior management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Thanks all.
    Batgurl wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, German law is far superior to Irish law when it comes to maternity protection. A woman can’t be fired for being pregnant, is protected from being laid off (even during probation), gets 2 years paid maternity leave and must be offered Flexi time upon return.
    It one of the reasons Germany actually has such an imbalance of gender equality in senior positions and senior management.
    In this case, the mother has similar protection in current country, but I don't know if her social contributions would be transferable when she emigrates within the EU.
    - Also, she has senior management on her career track.

@daheff : I guess it's a bit overwhelming. There are some unknowns in the matters of social protection ... and their biggest challenge was supposed to be getting the toddler adjusted in the new country in a creche facility; accepting the role early in a pregnancy means she should start *new* work early. Need to talk to her more now, hopefully some decent solution can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Accept the offer, start the job, work till mat leave starts, take leave, get back into job. Tell the employer when she accepts, but really they made the offer, they will not be in a position to legally take it back once they find she is pregnant, so it's not an issue. She is entirely entitled to do all this and legislation protects her. Congrats on the job and the pregnancy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement