Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick closed (mod note post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

sugarman wrote: »
    ...and what happens when if it decides to decides to fly into the propellers?

That would need to be an incredibly powerful and strong drone, in order not only to fly into the downdraft and turbulence of a full size helicopter but to damage it enough to cause it to crash...it would be sizeable enough to be spotted with relative ease; Also, if such a thing is available to the general public...there's a bigger problem than an idiot flying a drone.

If it's the one in the clip attached to this article, it's not hard to spot at all to the naked eye:
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/20/first-footage-drone-evading-police-helicopters-gatwick-airport-8271026/

The Police did have an helicopter in the air around the airport during the incident anyway; A degree of risk is involved in Police and military operations - Police cars speed to the scene of a crime, even if that means they could crash.

If one really, really, really wants to play devil's advocate, use a feckin' military chopper...are you going to tell me anything this side of a Reaper can bring down an AW Apache?

EDIT: interesting fact - regardless of conspiracy or tinfoil-hat theories, this IS an UFO case in the very definition of "unidentified flying object" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

dresden8 wrote: »
    Whatever this is, copycats are the real danger now.

i hope not.
    i'm off to sunnier climes after me turkey, and i sincerely hope they sort this idiot out pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

d55fc22c49.jpeg

Thats probably bigger than what was at Gatwick but I REALLY wouldn't wanna be in any helo that had it strike its tail or main rotor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

That's taking the proverbial - something like that would have not only been seen from basically everywhere in the vicinity, there would have been actual UFO sightings reported all around :D

Usually, the simplest most likely scenario is the correct one: it's some idiot in the vicinity of the airport using a consumer-grade product...and the authorities have been impossibly incompetent in both managing the information flow and finding the mentioned idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there, H3llr4iser.
    Your assertion that the rotor downdraft would simply blow a drone down is wrong. In a previous life, I saw an Alouette after it had been hit by a pigeon, which burst thru the forward airvent mesh and filled the large cabin with guts and feathers. scared the daylights out of the crew and took an awful lot of cleaning. A 2 kg drone could easily damage a helicopter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

this should sort it: https://youtu.be/ffOZMTVeM70

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

i hope not.
    i'm off to sunnier climes after me turkey, and i sincerely hope they sort this idiot out pronto.
    If anything's certain after this episode, it's that the drone operator assuredly was NOT an idiot. He was smart, cunning and one step ahead all the way. What he did was inconsiderate but I do tip my hat to his planning and ingenuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

arubex wrote: »
    If anything's certain after this episode, it's that the drone operator assuredly was NOT an idiot. He was smart, cunning and one step ahead all the way. What he did was inconsiderate but I do tip my hat to his planning and ingenuity.

Aye and the smartest thing was he knew when it was time to call it a day, and live to drone another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Closed again it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Operations have just been suspended again due to another drone sighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They must be going mad. Just when things start getting back on track. Very frustrating for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Let's hope whoever is behind this, gets caught and gets hammered with lawsuits and serious jail time. I wonder could they throw terror charges at them. How much have airlines and Gatwick lost... Never mind all the passengers who may not get to where they need to get too.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Whoever it is needs to be strung up. Im sitting on the tarmac in Dublin delayed cause of it and im going to Heathrow. Will now miss the Xmas show we have paid for.

The main issue though is people trying to get to those who are sick, funerals etc. And now cannot. Some scum whoever they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Other London airports appear to have systems to avoid drones, apparently LHR has it. Gatwick doesn't. Does Luton, Stansted, London City, Southend, Manchester, Birmingham etc?

Oh dear. This is a nightmare for airports and arrivals and departures now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Let's hope whoever is behind this, gets caught and gets hammered with lawsuits and serious jail time. I wonder could they throw terror charges at them. How much have airlines and Gatwick lost... Never mind all the passengers who may not get to where they need to get too.

i have no doubt he'll be apprehended soon.
    morons like this always get caught in the end.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wait it's closed again ? It was open earlier albeit with limited flights in and out. Ah lads they need to find out who this is and give them the old fashioned "damned good trashing"

i have no doubt he'll be apprehended soon.

I'd agree. I'd say he possibly had a clean getaway, by calling it a day at the right time, but has now ruined it for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nothing to stop the perp from coming back soon, or others who will replicate those actions either.

There is something not quite right here.

Is Gatwick particularly vulnerable to drone attacks in comparison to Heathrow or Stansted, or Luton, or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I'd agree. I'd say he possibly had a clean getaway, by calling it a day at the right time, but has now ruined it for himself.

Unless there’s something very wrong in the perpetrator’s head (which I’m sure plenty will argue based on the existing evidence), he’s well aware that he’ll be caught and seems to be continuing with the action until that happens.

Lends more weight to the idea that this is a protest IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

Has there been any photos of these supposed drones ? Any idea what model they are etc ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭pablo39er

This "moron" has managed to evade legions of police, military and aviation security investigators in one of the most heavily policed and monitored airports and cities in the world, and made them all look like chief wiggum. They may be some environmentalist protest nutters, or some Russian/China propaganda/financial operation to embarrass western technology again, or Islamic terrorism, who will get caught when it suits them for maximum publicity and promotion of their "cause", but one thing is for sure, they are no "moron".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Maybe there's no drone at all? Could that be a possibility? As in not a conspiracy but that someone is saying they seen a drone this resulting the the airport being closed as a precaution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

Other London airports appear to have systems to avoid drones, apparently LHR has it. Gatwick doesn't. Does Luton, Stansted, London City, Southend, Manchester, Birmingham etc?

Oh dear. This is a nightmare for airports and arrivals and departures now.

I wonder is a salesman for the drone deterrent systems? Probably trying to close a deal for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭swampgas

Air traffic control must be under pressure to keep on top of all the incoming flight redirections. I guess it's a very busy time anyway and the stop start disruptions must be aggravating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

We can send a man to the moon but cant intercept a flying toy over one of the busiest airports on the planet. Embarrassing now matter which way you spin it...

That was my point with the hit to kill missile system, you see in transformers films :)

It we have an alien attack we are doomed

Really embarrassing how crap tech the British have

If it was the americans here it would be hugely hugely embarrassing

All those billions money spent on defence and cant take down a bloody drone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

How dare you assume their gender 😂
    faoiarvok wrote: »
    Unless there’s something very wrong in the perpetrator’s head (which I’m sure plenty will argue based on the existing evidence), he’s well aware that he’ll be caught and seems to be continuing with the action until that happens.

Lends more weight to the idea that this is a protest IMO

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Flights resuming again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Inquitus wrote: »

Delaney claimed Mourinho was going nowhere about 12 hours before he was sacked. He is full of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Cazale wrote: »
    Delaney claimed Mourinho was going nowhere about 12 hours before he was sacked. He is full of ****.

Two drones???? :eek::eek:

Advertisement