Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick closed (mod note post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I must say I am sorry I linked them here. I had thought since it was across the media it was fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Police statement on BBC just now said they had not released the names to the media

Well they would not have officially given their names but they would have handed the names over on the quiet. As they always do. Is in cases like this where this practice is shown up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's quite possible that someone either saw police activity outside their house and contacted a tabloid or tweeted about it and were contacted, or that they were aware that the couple were drone and remote controlled aircraft enthusiasts and both called the police and the press.

People can be utterly charming sometimes.

I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that it was the police. They're under huge pressure since they released names of high-profile people under investigation who subsequently turned out to be entirely innocent. So, I doubt they'd be running to the press with names on something that is potentially a very complex and even sensitive operation.

There was a total vacuum of anything coming from the police during the incident and I think the press were likely hunting around for leads and found some either online or from someone who was willing to gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

zapitastas wrote: »
    Well they would not have officially given their names but they would have handed the names over on the quiet. As they always do. Is in cases like this where this practice is shown up

Also possible that neighbours saw the arrests and passed on the names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Police statement on BBC just now said they had not released the names to the media
    Amirani wrote: »
    No ethics from UK tabloids as expected, plastering their faces all over the news before they're even charged. Police shouldn't be releasing names either if that's how they got them.

In all cases I saw on broadcast media, it was said that "the couple were named LOCALLY as..."

In other words, the police didn't name them. The journos covering this were getting the info from neighbours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe going off topic but why did they need to be arrested?

Silly question, perhaps, but what's the situation at the airport lately?

Drone still hanging around or disappeared since the arrests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i must admit i never felt they were the culprits. they just didn't look the sort. too ordinary. too run of the mill imho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Silly question, perhaps, but what's the situation at the airport lately?

Drone still hanging around or disappeared since the arrests?
    There’s a constant Helicoptor presence I’m at the airport right now, flights operating as normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I would assume that would give the police power to search the home etc. which they might have to give up voluntarily, and possibly they wanted to nick them quickly to prevent deleting flight logs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Homer

https://twitter.com/tompugh212/status/1076874388761440260?s=21

Police tell BBC there may not actually have been any drones?! Eh what :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Homer wrote: »

Police tell BBC there may not actually have been any drones?! Eh what :confused:

I did suspect that from the start. Cover up almighty for something else I think.

The clumsy way this was handled was unreal too and led me to believe that something else was afoot. But sure what do I know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I did suspect that from the start. Cover up almighty for something else I think.

The clumsy way this was handled was unreal too and led me to believe that something else was afoot. But sure what do I know either.

Same with the way mods were threatening bans over ‘conspiracy theory’ claims that there was none.

Birmingham Airport: Services halted amid air traffic control fault

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-46668635

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Read that mans facebook page... thought to myself there is NOWAY that a guy like that would ever be guilty.

I hope he gets a fortune from the damned newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The thing i wondered is howcome there has not been one photo of the drone even from planespotters etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Homer wrote: »

Diverts away from the clusterf**k that's brexit for a day or 2

Birmingham Airport: Services halted amid air traffic control fault

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-46668635

Brexit Beckons. A warning maybe? I have read that air traffic is one that will be mightily affected by UK leaving the EU.

Sorry, just crushed up the tin foil that I used for the dinner earlier, so I cannot make a hat. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Also possible that neighbours saw the arrests and passed on the names
    Could have been neighbours who reported them to the police. How else would the police have found them? AFAIk, there is no register of drones in the UK (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The whole thing is a cover up.
    No drone footage despite the world's media being and on site from a few hours in.
    No action taken either from police, military or tech world to bring down drone.
    Man and wife arrested with seemingly no evidence other than being model aircraft fans and them living near the airport.
    Police now saying there may never have been a drone, I mean it's crazy stuff.

I don't know what was going on but it must have been pretty serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I wonder how many D notices were issued last week? This has all the hallmarks of MI5's clumsy footprints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 AreWeAlone

Well the police did publicly state “the devices used are of an industrial specification". So the source for that claim must be investigated at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is a further and final reminder that this isn't the Conspiracy Theories forum and moderation actions will be taken if required

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 AreWeAlone

L1011 wrote: »
    This is a further and final reminder that this isn't the Conspiracy Theories forum and moderation actions will be taken if required
    But it's not a conspiracy theory any more. It's the police themselves who are suggesting there were no drones involved.

L1011 wrote: »

To be fair, it also seems the official story/police line is changing regarding drones.

EDIT: AreWeAlone got there ahead of me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

What I do not get, whatsoever, is who reported the drone in the first place? If it were an official on-site, on the ground or in the control tower, then why did they keep reporting it through out Thursday and into Friday.

If that many flights were grounded and so much disruption caused - why, if no solid evidence of any drones?

Sorry mods, and Happy Christmas.

But this episode is definitely odd.

• Advertisement

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    What I do not get, whatsoever, is who reported the drone in the first place? If it were an official on-site, on the ground or in the control tower, then why did they keep reporting it through out Thursday and into Friday.

If that many flights were grounded and so much disruption caused - why, if no solid evidence of any drones?

It was ground staff.

Advertisement