Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer forcing me to work over Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

salmocab wrote: »
    Also if I was off Christmas Day and one of the lads I worked with pulled a stunt and I had to work he’d bloody regret it afterwards.

Well, if it was me who pulled the stunt because I needed time off to spend with my seriously ill mother, you'd be well advised to suck it up and get on with things.
    Your whining about missing your sprouts would not be well received, you can be sure of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

OP,

Where abouts in country is your mam living?

Seeing as its christmas Ill offer to pick you up on christmas day and drop you to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Well, if it was me who pulled the stunt because I needed time off to spend with my seriously ill mother, you'd be well advised to suck it up and get on with things.
    Your whining about missing your sprouts would not be well received, you can be sure of that!

... when I am off ... my phone is off. Chances of me answering a call from work on Christmas Day would be NIL. I have my priorities with my family and if he pulls a sickie- I'm not giving up my family time fir him. He can deal with tge ****storm that comes down the line when no one can be found to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Masala wrote: »
    ... when I am off ... my phone is off. Chances of me answering a call from work on Christmas Day would be NIL. I have my priorities with my family and if he pulls a sickie- I'm not giving up my family time fir him. He can deal with tge ****storm that comes down the line when no one can be found to cover.

I'm the same.

I don't answer work calls outside of work full stop - bar the very odd occasion when I've specifically asked someone to ring me, but we'd be talking once every couple of months at best.

Weekends, holidays etc, they can fúck right off, I don't care if the place is on fire, ring 999, I just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

BTW did you ask anyone to swap shifts with you?

Just a passenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Having had 2 parents go through terminal illnesses the only advice i can give is go spend time with your mother, nothing else matters.

Jobs come and go, Bosses get annoyed..its all irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Just tell them you won't be in a position to work over Christmas.

Don't go into details or explanations - one line and leave it at that.

Fcuk them - family is more important than any job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Did you work Christmas day last year OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re-read the OP: the mother has cancer, it's not described as terminal.

I'm sure the mother could find a friend or neighbour to have dinner with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Elmo wrote: »
    From what I can see the OP did plan and asked for the time off.

If you are on sick cover and end up sick, the company would have to deal with that also, but if you were the OP and need time off and knew but opted for on-call cover you'd be in the wrong to think you won't be called in.

If you are annual leave as I said, you don't pick up the phone from work, your on annual leave, let the on-call person deal with that.

The OP doesn't NEED time off though, she WANTS time off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

fordyjames wrote:
    If you have debts screw them, nothing more important than family. What's the worst that can happen. A couple of threating letters and your debts reduced.

Wow

Hard times suck but if you have responsibilities this is the worst advice. This is the attitude that has destroyed the country.

Suck it up op. You have a job. Do it.

If you dont like it then look for a new job.

I hate people who just decide to go on the dole just because their job makes them work. Ffs snowflake generation doesnt even cover it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 IrishGirl18

Mr.H wrote: »

I hate people who just decide to go on the dole just because their job makes them work. Ffs snowflake generation doesnt even cover it

Who mentioned anything about going on the dole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

I'm sorry you have to work IrishGirl but it's your scheduled shift and that's life. The 25th is only a date. Take your next day off and pretend it's Christmas with your Mam. Have the whole Christmas dinner and presents on the Saturday. It's being with your mam that counts not the date.

I understand you're upset but don't call in sick. It's really unfair on your teammates. So many people have very sick relatives, you just don't know what's going on in a workmate's life.

Hope your Mam recovers soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Having had 2 parents go through terminal illnesses the only advice i can give is go spend time with your mother, nothing else matters.

Jobs come and go, Bosses get annoyed..its all irrelevant.

I am in absolute agreement with this. You only have 1 mother.

Who mentioned anything about going on the dole ?

Loads of people in this thread when saying jobs come and go. Fact is if you dont go to work you will likely be on your way to newjobland. If you cant get a job then its doleworld.

I get it that it sucks. But there is no Devine right to be off any day regardless of people misunderstanding the legalities.

If you dont like it i would suggest not being stuck in this question next year and have a new job by then.

Even the title of the thread is a little immature dont you think? Employer is forcing me to work........ no they arent. They are expecting you to work your regular shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Guffy

Gael23 wrote: »
    I know a girl working in a nursing home and they get double time on Christmas Day

To get double time she'd want to be getting 3 times what she gets if she didn't work.

Everyone gets paid for bankholidays. If she is getting paid what she normally does plus what she would be getting anyway its not really double time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Guffy wrote: »
    To get double time she'd want to be getting 3 times what she gets if she didn't work.

Everyone gets paid for bankholidays. If she is getting paid what she normally does plus what she would be getting anyway its not really double time

None of this makes sense.
    If you work on a public holiday in Ireland (say Christmas Day and Stephens day in this case) then by law you are entitled to double pay for each of those days or an extra days annual leave for each of those days or just an extra day off fully paid for each of those days.
    That is the law.
    The only condition is that you must have worked a total of at least 40 hours over the previous 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

You gotta do what you gotta do unfortunately.

I worked Xmas day a few years ago. Sucks but I just drew the short straw. Worked 12 until 10pm.

On the positive side you will find at 5 and have the rest of the day for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I would consider carefully that your employer has been fairly flexible to date with the time off you've needed due to your family commitments.

Yes you can probably call in sick or quit but a new employer is unlikely to be as accommodating if you're on probation.

Find some friends or family for your mom to do Christmas day with and do it yourself with her the day after.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Given your mother’s circumstances, it is very hard to imagine the she will be alone on Christmas Day, surely some members of her extended family will come to the rescue. What does your mother say about all of this?

As you say your mother lives down the country, so you are not just looking for Christmas Day off, but in fact several days off, even though you have already used up your holiday entitlement and then some.

At your company, you are in a supervisor role so you are someone the company holds in high regard and expects to be able to rely on you. The company seems to have fully met all it’s obligations towards you:
    - You have had your holiday entertainment
    - You have had additional days off
    - The company has tried to accommodate your request to be rescheduled but were unable to do so
    And now it seems you expect them to deny the same rights to someone of your colleagues so you can be at home with Mammy...

At the end of the day it is a question of character, are you a responsible adult who honors their commitments or not. Now you can call in sick for a couple of days if you want, but in the circumstances everyone will have a pretty good idea of what you are up to and reach their on conclusions as to your character. The reputation you build is up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

you have to do what is best for you, go spend Christmas with your mum. everybody should have some loyalty to their employer but your situation trumps that loyalty. no matter what company you work for you only a number at the end of the day, if you dropped dead tomorrow you would be replaced and forgotten in the blink of an eye....that's just life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

From what I have experienced, security companies do their best to run on a skeleton staff on what can be quite a busy day for security because of everywhere closing. They are not choosing to stay operating on Christmas day, it's just a con of the job. From your original post, you didn't want to work the day before your mam was diagnosed, no one does but someone has to. If you're not willing to commit to the job, you need to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Call in sick worst they can give you is a warning. No big deal.Is it an american company ? They should be sympathetic with your earlier cancer diagnosis. Your boss has no empathy. Absolute dick head.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Surely you would have known you might have to work Christmas when you took the job? You can call in sick, but best get the CV ready in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Call in sick worst they can give you is a warning. No big deal.Is it an american company ? They should be sympathetic with your earlier cancer diagnosis. Your boss has no empathy. Absolute dick head.

Very poor advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

She doesn’t have cancer her mother does, she’s taken all her holidays, force majeure and a few unpaid days too, it doesn’t sound like the company have done anything wrong by her.

She can be fired. While technically they will have to get her on a few other issues, i have no doubt those issues will arise all of a sudden. Such as expecting to work difficult shifts leading to constructive dismissal. Very easy to do very difficult to prove.

If i was the employer and she didnt show up Christmas, she wouldnt be there long more. Considering what they have done for her it would be a huge sign of disrespect.

As for the boss having no empathy....... you got a bit of growing up to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Here is my take - try to agree a compromise. You work Christmas Eve + Christmas Morning, and you get Christmas afternoon/evening and St. Stephen's Day Off. In return you agree to cover for New Years, or something.

Maybe worth a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i think the OP has to remember that her colleagues have already had 3 force majeure days plus the full allotment of holidays she took covering for her, their schedules have been up ended for her multiple times this year already. Doing it again on christmas day to somebody is just extremely cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Mr.H wrote: »
    She can be fired. While technically they will have to get her on a few other issues, i have no doubt those issues will arise all of a sudden. Such as expecting to work difficult shifts leading to constructive dismissal. Very easy to do very difficult to prove.

If i was the employer and she didnt show up Christmas, she wouldnt be there long more. Considering what they have done for her it would be a huge sign of disrespect.

As for the boss having no empathy....... you got a bit of growing up to do.

She cant be fired for that. If your sick your sick. The op could be honest and just refuse to go in and get a warning either.
    What growing up do I have to do ? The ops mother had cancer and she didnt want her mother to be home alone for Christmas. Are you saying the boss isnt a heartless bastard ? The boss let the supervisor thats probly licking the hole off him off for xmas and the op is expected to do there work aswell. I know exactly how these type of establishments work.
    If i was the op id take my chances. There are plenty of other jobs in dublin that dont require you to work for christmas and treat you like a person and not a number.
    You want to wake up and smell the coffee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement