Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

appalling schedules on RTE over Christmas

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

As we move into the last few days of Christmas, RTE's appalling schedules are not improving. Mrs Brown's Boys continues to be shown. More of her tonight and again tomorrow .... for god's sake, enough is enough! Then, there is drivel like Ireland's Fittest Family and Celebrity Home of the Year. As we move to the tail end of Christmas, we are given hints of what to expect between now and Easter: Dancing With The Stars on Sunday and its spinoff Can't Stop Dancing shown on Friday. Expect Room to Improve and Dragon's Den to make an appearance as well. Very little here to entice one to switch on RTE.

They make a big deal then advertising their Christmas schedule and now are doing the same for that Dancing thing. That bloody thing goes on forever too: 2 hours every Sunday for about a quarter of the year (first Sunday in January to last Sunday in March if I recall correctly). Its sole purpose is to push more RTE employees at us. They will even have the nerve to show it on St Patrick's Day too (which is on Sunday this year) along with more Mrs Brown's Boys just you wait and see! Expect to see more Alison Spittle as well. Nothing to look forward to on RTE WRT home produced stuff. It is time to give us something other than reality drivel and Mrs Brown's Boys. This woeful TV is what we are paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I didn't think it was the worst. Daniel didn't play out the year on TG4, and that was follow by Van Morrison.

Nothing of note on Virgin Media (a repeat of the earlier GN show).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re RTÉ - I have never found Brendan O'Carroll very funny. Good for him and the rest if Mrs Brown's Boys is doing well, but it is not for me

Re the schedule - fine with hurling and James Bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Summer of hurling (3 x 1 hour programmes) on RTE 2 tonight. Love hurling, but ... 3 hour repeat matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

honeybear wrote:
    Summer of hurling (3 x 1 hour programmes) on RTE 2 tonight. Love hurling, but ... 3 hour repeat matches?

Is the GAA paying for it? Or is it just cheap filler programmes for RTE.

I only watch RTE for news, current affairs and the odd documentary they do.

Everything else is supplied on other channels or Netfix.

The Late Late is total drivel. I think the talk show format is slightly extinct now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Is the GAA paying for it? Or is it just cheap filler programmes for RTE.

I only watch RTE for news, current affairs and the odd documentary they do.

Everything else is supplied on other channels or Netfix.

The Late Late is total drivel. I think the talk show format is slightly extinct now.

I think RTÉ is really up against it with competition from all sides so I know it's no easy fix as they would have certain commitments & obligations such as supporting the arts like the orchestras, Irish language etc; which other broadcasters like Virgin Media Ireland, Sky's Irish opt-out channels would not necessarily have.

However; they need to look again at the whole way they do chat shows. There is too much time spent on plugging products, replaying tv viewer competitions over & over again within the same show broadcast, in-house guests that frequently get too much airtime with little or nothing to warrant such prime time exposure. Not sure if The Late Late Show or The Ray D'Arcy Show should continue to go out live as they need serious editing as there is insufficient quality material worth watching. Graham Norton said that his own show would never work if it was broadcast live as they edit the show and viewers only get to the see the best bits which is probably why it works well.

The Ray D'Arcy Show could start to be pre-recorded, TLLS will always be live.

I thought the Summer of Hurling was a documentary series and I happened by it last night and it was a studio based highlights show.

You'd wonder why RTÉ wouldn't have repeated it on NEWS NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Mrs Browns Boys is awful awful shyte. Poor production value, **** acting and terrible jokes. Badersnatch on Netflix, Westworld box set and Freesat UK satellite tv for me over the Xmas period. Briefly watched the Keith Barry New Years show for the lols but immediately went back to Freesat once the Irish celebrations were over

fxotoole wrote: »
    Mrs Browns Boys is awful awful shyte. Poor production value, **** acting and terrible jokes. Badersnatch on Netflix, Westworld box set and Freesat UK satellite tv for me over the Xmas period. Briefly watched the Keith Barry New Years show for the lols but immediately went back to Freesat once the Irish celebrations were over

Mrs Brown's Boys is the most awful thing ever. It is poor in every way possible. I remember watching RTE comedy like Val Falvey TD in the immediate pre-Mrs Brown's Boys era and considering it poor. Well, these series were masterpieces compared to Mrs Brown. They were set on location and were professionally made at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

fxotoole wrote: »
    Mrs Browns Boys .... Poor production value,

. Well, these series were masterpieces compared to Mrs Brown. They were set on location and were professionally made at least.

So when do either of you think the rot set in the BBC production staff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The Six One News should be permanently a half hour programme with one presenter.Ray Kennedy on it this evening,he is excellent.

I remember watching RTE comedy like Val Falvey TD in the immediate pre-Mrs Brown's Boys era and considering it poor.
    Well, doing a re-run of the half dozen Val Falvey TD episodes would be better than the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Mrs Brown's Boys is the most awful thing ever. It is poor in every way possible......They were set on location and were professionally made at least.

Ok, you don’t like Mrs. Browns Boys. If you think production values have slipped you should send an email to BBC Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RTE = Endless repeats of rubbish you didn't want to see in the first place.

I think most of their audience these days is stuck in front of a TV in a nursing home with no remote.

Scrap the cap!

RTE = Endless repeats of rubbish you didn't want to see in the first place.

I think most of their audience these days is stuck in front of a TV in a nursing home with no remote.

RTE - Repeatable Trashy Entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Well if it's repeatable :pac:

lertsnim wrote: »
    Well if it's repeatable :pac:

Well that's what they seem to think!

Elmo wrote: »
    RTE - Repeatable Trashy Entertainment

Exactly. Appalling Schedules for January to Easter too by the looks of it. Operation Transformation v Mrs Brown's Boys v All Round to Mrs Brown's. All as bad as each other. And when they all go off on their big break in the summer, they can repeat all this drivel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay look, I’m not a fan of “dump your unrelated rant here” type threads at the best of times, and while I was content to let this run a bit, Christmas is over now. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement