Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Partridge for release and breeding

Options
  • 20-12-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

Chatting to a few lads the other night and we were thinking of getting some partridge. Does anyone have an idea on Who rears them, where are they based and How much they cost.

Is it true that they should be bought and released in pairs or groups of pairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Chatting to a few lads the other night and we were thinking of getting some partridge. Does anyone have an idea on Who rears them, where are they based and How much they cost.

Not trying to be smart or anything, but if i were you, I'd get a few pheasants instead. You might get to have a few shots at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

few good tips here to get you started

https://www.gwct.org.uk/advisory/guides/re-establishing-grey-partridges-through-releasing/guidelines-for-re-establishment/tips/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

J.R. wrote: »

Unfortunately very difficult to get population of grey partridge set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

What about red legs are they hardier

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

What about red megs are they hardier

red legs are mad flighty yokes.....have released them in the past onto preserves to see them just take flight and keep going....you could release 50 and never see or hear of 40 of them again......you would have better crack buying 50 in October to put in a pen and do some class of a driven shoot over them in the season...think they are €5 - €6

• Advertisement

p28559 wrote: »
    What about red megs are they hardier

red legs are mad flighty yokes.....have released them in the past onto preserves to see them just take flight and keep going....you could release 50 and never see or hear of 40 of them again......you would have better crack buying 50 in October to put in a pen and do some class of a driven shoot over them in the season...think they are €5 - €6
    Who is selling them where can you get them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unless the birds have access to a good acreage of low intensity spring tillage and/or cover crops its will be very hard to keep them on your permission for any length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Partridge is a bird that is very suited to old fashioned farming practices. They don't thrive at all with modern grassland and tillage methods.

I reckon that if you haven't got access to substantial enough amounts of land that's specifically managed for shooting that you'll find yourself on a road to nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Unless the birds have access to a good acreage of low intensity spring tillage and/or cover crops its will be very hard to keep them on your permission for any length of time

Most definitely...I reared about 30 red legs a few years back and released about 25 onto barley stubble. The few i held back kept the lads outside from straying too far. Lovely birds and to hear them calling each other in the evenings was something else. Mad hoors though and almost impossible to get anyway near them for a shot. As soon as they saw you or a dog they were gone. They stayed around for about a year and they died out. I heard reports that a young clutch of red legs was seen a year later on the road not far from me but the woman wasnt 100 percent sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

270WIN wrote: »
    Most definitely...I reared about 30 red legs a few years back and released about 25 onto barley stubble. The few i held back kept the lads outside from straying too far. Lovely birds and to hear them calling each other in the evenings was something else. Mad hoors though and almost impossible to get anyway near them for a shot. As soon as they saw you or a dog they were gone. They stayed around for about a year and they died out. I heard reports that a young clutch of red legs was seen a year later on the road not far from me but the woman wasnt 100 percent sure

When I was a young teen the local GC I helped out with released a couple of dozen tagged Red Legs. We had a similar experience to yourself - indeed one of birds was spotted a year later 10 miles away!! feeding on bird seed under an old dears bird table in a rural garden!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Backbarrel

I think the NARGC have a breeding program in Dublin for partridge. Whoever is handling that might be able to sort you out. Notsure about cost though.

Backbarrel wrote: »
    I think the NARGC have a breeding program in Dublin for partridge. Whoever is handling that might be able to sort you out. Notsure about cost though.

Not a chance of them giving or selling birds. As far as i know, they are breeding native birds similar to Boora. They would probably donate birds if they could inspect the land to see if it was transformed into ideal Grey partridge habitat. That is a huge task in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

We've a plan in place for this year coming and next few years if we can get land owners next to us to get involved. We have 3 that will have a go but we need much more and lots of time and effort from the sounds of it. I think from what I see on here it would be a 10 year thing at least to be any way worth while.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Not a chance of them giving or selling birds. As far as i know, they are breeding native birds similar to Boora. They would probably donate birds if they could inspect the land to see if it was transformed into ideal Grey partridge habitat. That is a huge task in itself.

The Dublin birds are from Boora.

Yes sorry, I meant they aint breeding for selling, but more so to establish a native breeding population similar to what Boora are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I was sure the Dublin birds came from Tipperary. The birds from Tipperary were imported from Estonia I think by the NARGC.:confused:

So how much are they and if they don't sell them to clubs what's the point. I'm not hearing much about successful grey partridge programs around tge country at this stage is suggest the country should be covered in greys.

We got a price of 5E from a lad up north for red legs.

So how much are they and if they don't sell them to clubs what's the point. I'm not hearing much about successful grey partridge programs around tge country at this stage is suggest the country should be covered in greys.

Here's an old article on the Dublin project. I'm sure it has been very successfull.

https://www.greypartridge.ie/?p=192

And just came across this one that I didn't know about.

http://www.inchpartridgeproject.com/

Sorry, we seem to be going off track from what your looking for, I think. It shouldn't be too hard find red or grey leg partridge for shooting purposes. They are often for sale in some of the poultry marts.

Here's an old article on the Dublin project. I'm sure it has been very successfull.

https://www.greypartridge.ie/?p=192

And just came across this one that I didn't know about.

http://www.inchpartridgeproject.com/

Sorry, we seem to be going off track from what your looking for, I think. It shouldn't be too hard find red or grey leg partridge for shooting purposes. They are often for sale in some of the poultry marts.
    I was told last night the Dublin partridge are €60 for a pair. For that they must lay golden eggs.

I was told last night the Dublin partridge are €60 for a pair. For that they must lay golden eggs.

Well I'm sure the price is all to do with the fact that those birds are suppose to be genetically the same as our own native partridge which are absent from most parts of the country for many years now., so tgey aint the run of the mill partridge that are imported from the UK.

Saying that, they live just as long as any partridge that are released from gun clubs lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

I thought that only red legs could be hunted and that grey partridge were protected.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

How common were partridge in their time. Before modern agricultural practices. I suppose in the early 1900's.

How common were partridge in their time. Before modern agricultural practices. I suppose in the early 1900's.

Here's a bit of an insight into the history of grey partridge in Ireland

https://www.greypartridge.ie/?page_id=48

And some more interesting reading

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/richard-collins/can-partridges-be-saved-from-extinction-2705.html

I wasn't aware that there is more projects being started around the country. This may be of interest to you cavan shooter

https://nargc.ie/nargc-grey-partridge-project/

Good reading lads thanks. Talking to a neighbour there used to be partridge around us back in the 1980s. When there were wee gardens of oats small fields of cereal crop, spuds and turnips.

p28559 wrote: »
    I thought that only red legs could be hunted and that grey partridge were protected.......

Grey partridge originating from Lough Boora which are forming the various reintroduction programmes are protected. Red legged partridge have a season and can be hunted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

I wasn't aware that there is more projects being started around the country. This may be of interest to you cavan shooter

https://nargc.ie/nargc-grey-partridge-project/

East Donegal one also

http://nargc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/East-Donegal-GREY-PARTRIDGE-Interim-Report-2018.pdf

Advertisement