Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Insulation - Planning Required?

• 20-12-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a builder lined up to commence works on a refurbishment and extension to a 3 bed semi-D in Dublin in February. I had originally planned to do a 150mm cavity wall with 110mm fill on the extension walls and then internal insulation on the existing house hollow block external walls. However on review with Architect and builder I am now looking to install external insulation.

The existing house is a wet dash finish so applying the EWI will mean a smoother render finish. Is this likely to be an issue with planning? The Builder says EWI doesn't require planning but all the other houses on the road are wet dash. I won't have a response from the Architect until mid January as he is on leave.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kev1234 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a builder lined up to commence works on a refurbishment and extension to a 3 bed semi-D in Dublin in February. I had originally planned to do a 150mm cavity wall with 110mm fill on the extension walls and then internal insulation on the existing house hollow block external walls. However on review with Architect and builder I am now looking to install external insulation.

The existing house is a wet dash finish so applying the EWI will mean a smoother render finish. Is this likely to be an issue with planning? The Builder says EWI doesn't require planning but all the other houses on the road are wet dash. I won't have a response from the Architect until mid January as he is on leave.

Thanks

There is no specific exemption for the External Insulation but you can argue that once finished it doesn't alter the appearance of the streetscape in my opinion.
    If you have time, lodge a Section 5 Application to the council and they will give an official answer.

Or maybe someone can quote precedance?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kev1234

kceire wrote: »
    There is no specific exemption for the External Insulation but you can argue that once finished it doesn't alter the appearance of the streetscape in my opinion.
    If you have time, lodge a Section 5 Application to the council and they will give an official answer.

Or maybe someone can quote precedance?

Thanks. I actually got a response email from my Architect (I thought he finished yesterday but obviously not) and he said it shouldn't be a problem and just asked me to check the soffit depth which I know is fine.

I found the following in an article: "In many cases external wall insulation will be exempt from planning permission. In ROI, the exemption clause in Section 4 (1)(h) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 states: ‘constituted works which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or neighbouring structures’."

I'm going to have another look in the surrounding area and see if any others have done it. I know a few very similar houses on parallel streets have done EWI so I might check online if they applied for planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I got planning for my EWI (as an architect myself it only cost me €35 planning fee and did drawings myself). Along with cheap planning cost the reason I got it was I was removing stupid arches, fake corner quoins and other details to make it clean and modern. I also changed a curved bay window to square. If it's just EWI you're fine but if doing other things which will change the appearance your better getting the planning.

Dudda wrote: »
    I got planning for my EWI (as an architect myself it only cost me €35 planning fee and did drawings myself). Along with cheap planning cost the reason I got it was I was removing stupid arches, fake corner quoins and other details to make it clean and modern. I also changed a curved bay window to square. If it's just EWI you're fine but if doing other things which will change the appearance your better getting the planning.

Thanks for the info. I got planning already for the extension itself but didn't include EWI at that point. I won't be changing any other features on the façade other than the render finish so I'm going to go ahead. I had originally decided against EWI because of cost and issues fixing to wet dash as opposed to flat surface but the builder says that using a thick layer of adhesive will sort this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dudda, care to share pics of your EWI?

I'd like to see what it looks like when an architect does it to their own home.

Ugly detailing is the one thing that puts me off.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Clear your inbox to get PM's.

Could you forward to me also? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Lumen wrote: »

I have visions of this architect looking up at his sheet metal cills and going "oh dear"

I have visions of this architect looking up at his sheet metal cills and going "oh dear"

Had a few samples made all right before proceeding. Tip - spray the back of the metal cills with foam insulation to deaden the hollow sound of rain dripping on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Would also be interested to see if you wouldn't mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Like to see it myself too,if you wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would appreciate a PM too Dudda. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 43 doug82

kev1234 wrote: »
    Thanks. I actually got a response email from my Architect (I thought he finished yesterday but obviously not) and he said it shouldn't be a problem and just asked me to check the soffit depth which I know is fine.

I found the following in an article: "In many cases external wall insulation will be exempt from planning permission. In ROI, the exemption clause in Section 4 (1)(h) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 states: ‘constituted works which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or neighbouring structures’."

I'm going to have another look in the surrounding area and see if any others have done it. I know a few very similar houses on parallel streets have done EWI so I might check online if they applied for planning.

I’ve found 4 cases where Bord Pleanala made determinations on external insulation. 2 of the decisions were that the works were exempt under 4(1)(h). The other 2 were deemed not to be exempt. In one of these the insulation was covering brick and made the house inconsistent with neighbouring dwellings. If there are no features of interest on your house I think the exemption should apply

Advertisement