Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House Plan suggestion

• 20-12-2018 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

We have received planning permission but I am still struggling with the layout of the lounge and the playroom a bit. Is there anyway we could alter it/open it out a bit more maybe. We have a 2 & 4 year old so will need a playroom but wondering about the future. What becomes of it once they are older.

Slightly worried the kitchen is a bit cramped.

Suggestions/opinions are more than welcome

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

who is the ground floor bedroom for??

can that not be the playroom until theres no longer a need for a play room?... meaning you have a much larger living area off kitchen and larger lounge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What would you like it to be?

Two options I can think of - it becomes an office type space, in which case you're good.

You could probably design it so it can be easily knocked into the sitting room, resulting in a really big sitting room down the road.

Any hobbies you think it might be suitable for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Incorporate the existing playroom into the open plan living/kitchen area at ground floor and make the sitting room slightly bigger.
    Change the ground floor bedroom to a play room and keep the quick access to the toilet for obvious reasons (kids).

At a later stage, the playroom can always be used as a bedroom without any further alteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ndilly

The downstairs bedroom is a spare bedroom which will be used a bit as in laws come to visit a bit so would like to keep that as a bedroom. I like having a separate room for toys etc which is why I like having a playroom that can be closed off .

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ndilly wrote: »
    The downstairs bedroom is a spare bedroom which will be used a bit as in laws come to visit a bit so would like to keep that as a bedroom. I like having a separate room for toys etc which is why I like having a playroom that can be closed off .

sounds like two "temporary" rooms..
    when one space could be used with a bit of imagination and effort... and decent joinery

are you really going to have a bedroom thats unused for what... 10 months of the year?

• Advertisement

Well thinking the playroom can be the kids living room when they are a bit older. Don't want to get rid of the downstairs bedroom really. Also if its to be the playroom its v far away from the living area so kids wld never stay put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I dont think your kitchen is cramped. Its more than workable.

Id consider whether the central island would be better as a peninsula and I'd consider switching the sitting and dining areas.

The way you have it seems more logical on the face of it but ours is the other way and it's more functional. If someone is cooking in the kitchen, it's nice to chat to anyone sitting down. The difference isn't noticeable clearing/setting the table. The sitting area will tuck nicely into that corner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where’s north?
    Layout seems generous overall
    The lounge is grand, it’s part of a large open plan space, (there is a separate living room?) you don’t want it too big. Assume the missing note suggests wall at playroom is a non-load bearing wall? Meaning it can be removed when kids are alittle older?

The sun goes from the left corner of kitchen setting on the right that's why I want t lounge to t right where the sun sets.any other suggestion's of kitchen layout

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Kitchen 600/1100/(700island)/1100/600
    Yes that’s tight. Make sure stools can go under the island.

Assume this is urban? Consideration of solar principles underdeveloped

• Advertisement

Sorry what measurements are you giving there? Mite look at minimising the downstairs bedroom in turn the utility which means I can increase the dining area.
    Yes the playroom wall is non bearing so can be removed later on if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

I think a separate play/living area for the kids is a great idea, even as they get older! Not sure how we'd manage if my 16 year old son didn't have somewhere to go and play on his PS4!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Could the walls between the play room and living space be sliding doors?
    Be able to open up the space of needed

Yes there will be sliding doors between them so we can open it up. I suppose im slightly worried the kitchen is a bit small so just trying to ensure we are making the most of all the space. Any suggestions on kitchen layout wld be great. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WhestCork2018

We are currently starting to do a full house renovation and I wasnt 100% on the planned floor layout for the kitchen (it was 3m wide and 6m long and had to fit a dining table), we met with a kitchen designer and he designed a layout for the original plan and the other option we had in mind, (Completely different room which would have been a "Good sitting room") When we looked at the desing plans there was the world of difference so we are now going with the newer option. I would suggest making an appointment with a kitchen designer and work from there. I figured the kitchen would be the main room of the house so I wanted to be 100% happy with it.
    We now have a smaller playroom, bigger kitchen and bigger living room. - Happy Days! :)

Advertisement