Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones New Business / Changes in the area

Options
  • 20-12-2018 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Having moved away from the town for a while, I would love to know of any changes/new business in the area..

What business has moved into the former Flemings Butcher store?
    Does anybody know what the plan is for the two red brick cottages undergoing renovation is?

I hear there may be changes to the chipper at the harbor?

What is going into the main street chip/take-away/

Any other updates on Greystones retail/Business/

Could be a good thread to keep going as things change...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Relish have moved into Fleming's, it is a coffee and light meal place.
    Eleven Deli have moved into The Butler's Pantry, more coffee and sandwiches etc.
    Brunel's have moved into the Supervalue off licence on the main street . It is coffee and light meals during the day and a wine bar by night.
    Pineto's chipper is closed and empty now.
    No change at Sweeney's chipper at the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Does anybody know what the plan is for the two red brick cottages undergoing renovation is?

they're for sale - I'd imagine they'll be converted to shops/restaurants (possibly demolished entirely, they're very run down and not of much architectural value)

Two other houses are being converted to commercial premises - Westview, opposite Supervalu, and the house on the corner of Hillside Rd, opposite Boots.

The Board Room skate-shop has closed, as has the Tramyard Kitchen restaurant - I heard a rumour the latter was in discussions to become a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Mount view is opposite Supervalue, Westview is further up the street occupied by the gruesome twosome :)
    And 4 Star Pizza have opened in what was the gym in the Blacklion Center, must qualify as a ‘no fry premises ‘ as no jumping up and down from those that opposed Mac’s...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Westview is further up the street occupied by the gruesome twosome :)

Is that where Caviston’s was located? I think that property had some history. if I remember correctly it was used as a foster home. Maybe some local historian can confirm or deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

The Happy Pear occupy what is/was Westview 1 and 2, when I was a kid a retired farmer, Fred Robb from Newcastle, lived there with his wife . He had a brother called Sam who may have lived in number 2 for a while.
    I have to admit I’m winging it a little with the 1 and 2 but I’m pretty sure I’m right.. a trawl through Derek Paine’s books would maybe confirm it :rolleyes:
    I don’t recall who lived in the house where Caviston’s was back then and have to say I never heard of it being a “home”..would certainly be interested to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Relish have moved into Fleming's, it is a coffee and light meal place.
    Eleven Deli have moved into The Butler's Pantry, more coffee and sandwiches etc.
    Brunel's have moved into the Supervalue off licence on the main street . It is coffee and light meals during the day and a wine bar by night.
    Pineto's chipper is closed and empty now.
    No change at Sweeney's chipper at the harbour.
    Severe shortage of coffee shops and eateries!

Cerco wrote: »
    Is that where Caviston’s was located? I think that property had some history. if I remember correctly it was used as a foster home. Maybe some local historian can confirm or deny.

You may be mixing up Westview with another house in Greystones run by M/s Mathers which was in the news a few years ago.

https://www.thejournal.ie/westbank-protestant-orphanage-1551863-Jul2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Going from strength to strength with help of town council.

St Patrick’s have reverted to 70s NI admittance policies
    Some really lovely new bike racks
    Playground is also a water park
    Number of businesses pitched in to help a homeless local make a container a bit cosier for winter.
    WCC ordered removal of all containers but chose to destroy that and all the contents
    Delle Stelle still delivering amazing coffee
    Some locals have had numerous photos on the Telly v talented young man

You may be mixing up Westview with another house in Greystones run by M/s Mathers which was in the news a few years ago.

https://www.thejournal.ie/westbank-protestant-orphanage-1551863-Jul2014/

You are absolutely right! That’s the one. Thanks John.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

So any updates on new business or changes in the area?
    Curious as to what's going on in the town...

• Advertisement

nothing much happening:

The new units in Mountview are complete but not yet occupied.
    Work on the commercial conversion of the house on the corner of Hillside Rd. seems to have stopped, as has work on the La Touche site.
    The old Cavistons/Tramyard restaurant is To Let
    The shop unit on the old Thrift Shop site is for sale (it's never been occupied)
    The former Pineto premises is still vacant
    Both filling stations are now CircleK brand
    Apartment blocks at the harbour are flying up.

possibly we've reached coffee-shop saturation, it's taken a while.

The boardroom appears to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I heard bochellis are moving to or opening a different resteraunt in the cavistons building. Cant remember where i heard it now and may be a complete rumour at mo.

There has been a new planning application for the cavistons building lodges fairly recently.

Roche's Chemist in Blacklion closing down, stock being sold off at discount.

Jimjay wrote: »
    I heard bochellis are moving to or opening a different resteraunt in the cavistons building. Cant remember where i heard it now and may be a complete rumour at mo.

There has been a new planning application for the cavistons building lodges fairly recently.

I heard the same, I think it was on the Greystones Guide, but there is a To Let sign in the building.

re: Roche's, I assume they're retiring? It's in an odd location, I wonder if it'll remain a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

loyatemu wrote: »
    I heard the same, I think it was on the Greystones Guide, but there is a To Let sign in the building.

re: Roche's, I assume they're retiring? It's in an odd location, I wonder if it'll remain a shop.

Those to let signs dont mean much. When i was looking for a property i would call the agents ref the to let signs and they were all either already let or under negotiation / waiting for contracts.

one of the Mountview units is going to be Eternity Jewellers (relocating from Meridian Point) - signs are up on the front of the shop now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    one of the Mountview units is going to be Eternity Jewellers (relocating from Meridian Point) - signs are up on the front of the shop now.

Yes I was told that yesterday.
    Clearly Eternity are far more successful that I had envisioned as rent in this prime location must be through the roof. Amoc jewelry directly across the road targets a different type of customer.

I am surprised that the Meridian has empty units and now it will have another empty unit.

I assumed that Mountview would be a restaurant or coffee shop as there are some parts of the main street where there are no such premesis for at least 10 meters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Roche's Chemist in Blacklion closing down, stock being sold off at discount.

I noticed signs in the window as I passed this morning - it says they're relocating (I think to the Lidl complex, didn't catch it fully) rather than closing down completely.
    As loyatemu said - I wonder if it will remain as a shop? Do the family live in the adjoining building?

Maybe she'd rather this info wasn't up here for security reasons??

I have deleted my post as you suggested in your post but it is a pity you quoted my post as I cannot delete your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I have deleted my post as you suggested in your post but it is a pity you quoted my post as I cannot delete your post

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

@ pixbyjohn - apologies for my query re Roches, in hindsight I shouldn't have enquired re the owners residence; it was not my intention to cause any undue attention to them. I understand the reasoning for ActingDanClark's reply.

Advertisement