Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle and crows.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

re testing of air bottles, the regulator on the tank for an air gun is different than the one for diving. i bought a tank
    which had a dive regulator brought it in to be tested after 5 years they told me if i changed the regulator it would
    only have to test it every 10 years so i got them to change it and got my 10 year test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kandjen

At what max. distance could you comfortably shoot crows at with a 25-30 ft lb pcp air rifle.

I have a HW110 doing 24 ft lb when I chronographed it and I've killed greycrows at 70mtrs on a winless day. Only this morning a killed one with a head shot at 49mtrs. Using 14.3grn Priemer Ultra Magnum pellets.

Would any of ye guys think of getting a PCP air rifle.

I have a HW110 and I've previously owned a HW100 and I couldn't recommend a pcp enough!

Is the HW 100 a side lever. You would think that a bsa rifle would be easy to get serviced. They are made in England I presume. Not enough of them around for someone to do it professionally I expect.

I had a HW100 pcp for 2 yrs and I found it a phenomenal piece of kit! Only problem I had was that twice I had to replace the breech seal. Accuracy was incredible and I could shoot eggs off fence posts at 100mtrs with Bisley Magnum pellets on a windless day. It accounted for a lot of greycrows and magpies and rats from round the farm. I don't know what ft lb it was because I bought it 2nd hand and I didn't own a chronograph at the time. The breach seals weren't a huge job to change and if you are handy with an Allen key than its not a big job. The seal kit was only a few pound from the uk. I don't know why the breach seal would leak bit I can only presume it may have been moisture from the cheap pump I was using to fill the gun. I bought a Hill mk4 pump with the dry pack for filtering moisture out of the air when pumping. The Hill pump is a great bit of kit and while it does require a bit of effort when near the 200 bar pressure it is a hell of a lot easier than a cheap pump! €200 was the pump price, not cheap but buy once cry once!! So far my new HW110 is in my opinion on part with my expectations and my old hw100. Why did I buy the HW110 of I'm so fond of my old HW100 I hear you say, simple....I couldn't get one at the time and there was a HW110 in the gun shop and I liked the look and feel already it's notching up a nice kill tally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Would an ordinary compressor not fill a pcp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Would an ordinary compressor not fill a pcp.

No a normal compressor might only go to 16 bar, you need 200 plus for a pcp.

What kind of speed will a pellet travel from an air rifle.

Depends if it is a springer or if it's pcp... my own hw110 in .22 firing a 14.3grn Priemer domed pellet is doing 884 ft per second over a magneto speed chrono which equates to about 24 ft lb.....

MY friends .22 hw100 firing a 15grn pellet is doing about 22 lb ft...chrono'd over same magneto speed... his pellet was about 821 I think....

Pellet speed in fps x pellet speed in fps x pellet weight in grns ÷ 450240 = ft lb

.177 would be travelling faster due to lighter pellets but that said it would be more prone to wind drift and in some applications over penetration even in sub 12 ft lb.

That is fast. Didn't think they would do that kind of speed. I expect their speed falls off quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

That is fast. Didn't think they would do that kind of speed. I expect their speed falls off quite quickly.

Download the Hawke ChairGun app for free and it will tell you everything you need to know, max distance, drop at different ranges, pellet speed at different ranges, wind drift etc etc it will tell you too much to be honest.
    You put in your pellet weight, power of your air rifle and zero and it tells you aim points for your mildot scope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hilux2005

I have an air arms .22 PCP its putting a 18.16gr pellet out at 877fps and deadly accurate.

Hilux2005 wrote: »
    I have an air arms .22 PCP its putting a 18.16gr pellet out at 877fps and deadly accurate.

Which model is it.

Which model is it.

It's an Air Arms Galahad

It's an Air Arms Galahad

Very expensive I would think.

Very expensive I would think.

Not a cheap setup no. I bought it second hand but once you have it it's cheap to run

Not a cheap setup no. I bought it second hand but once you have it it's cheap to run

And that would be a good reason for purchasing. What sort of normal range would you use it at.

And that would be a good reason for purchasing. What sort of normal range would you use it at.

Haven't used it at any great distance yet only plinking at 30 to 50yrds. Not had the time with work and all. It's power adjustable so at the moment it's just been used to take out some rats and pigeons from sheds.

Any idea as to the penetration and group size it has at 50 yds.

Advertisement