Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers Being Paid

Options
  • 21-12-2018 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a teacher social media platform tonight and some teachers have not been paid or been paid the wrong amount today - paid less than they should have been.These teachers primary and secondary are in serious distress as they are wondering how they are going to get through Christmas, pay rent, bills etc. I know dept. are changing over to a new system but it is so wrong that these teachers who have done their work, put in their hours worked themselves to the bone have to go through a dreadful Christmas with not enough money to survive.Why is this happening for teachers who have put in years of study and hard work and can't even be paid? It's shocking and was never like this before.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Huntline

Serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Between PAYE, USC and the two pensions, I was taxed more than I earned in December. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I was short 9 hours on my latest payslip. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Oh I’m still disputing a 5 hour discrepancy from October. I have a printout from school saying they put through 29 hours, but I only got paid for 24. They’re a joke. Week 1 tax is a dose, and I was on 8% usc this month, when I didn’t earn that much!!!

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    Between PAYE, USC and the two pensions, I was taxed more than I earned in December. Ridiculous.

Do you consider the pension contribution a tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you consider the pension contribution a tax?

Oh no tax is for the little people, they're talking about the PSPR... "The Public Service Pension Reduction (PSPR) is an income–graduated reduction applied to public service pensions in excess of specified thresholds". https://www.per.gov.ie/en/faq-documents/

So obviously not a tax... just a compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits, or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+tax%3F&rlz=1C1APWK_enIE768IE768&oq=what+is+a+tax%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6219j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hi just wondering, are teachers paid Christmas week? My wages are usually in my account every second Thursday just after 12 am but I checked my account tonight and I haven't been paid. Im a new sub so havnt fully gotten my head around how the pay works etc.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Hi just wondering, are teachers paid Christmas week? My wages are usually in my account every second Thursday just after 12 am but I checked my account tonight and I haven't been paid. Im a new sub so havnt fully gotten my head around how the pay works etc.
    Thanks.

Secondary teachers were paid last Thursday (20/12) so not due payment until next Thursday (3/1).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hi just wondering, are teachers paid Christmas week? My wages are usually in my account every second Thursday just after 12 am but I checked my account tonight and I haven't been paid. Im a new sub so havnt fully gotten my head around how the pay works etc. Thanks.

More than likely sub teachers won't be paid until 10th(Primary) due to the timeframe for inputting information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sullivlo wrote: »

Pensions aren't tax

More than likely sub teachers won't be paid until 10th(Primary) due to the timeframe for inputting information.

Thats ridiculous, I havnt been paid once over the Christmas period, what do they expect people to live on?. Im raging I have to wait until the 10th of January to get paid. lucky for me I dont have children or a family to support, I dont know how anyone in that position would cope this time of year while working as a sub teacher. Ive a good mind to ring them and tell them how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

To ensure you get paid in 2019, your completed ASC10 forms should be sent in ASAP.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Thats ridiculous, I havnt been paid once over the Christmas period, what do they expect people to live on?. Im raging I have to wait until the 10th of January to get paid. lucky for me I dont have children or a family to support, I dont know how anyone in that position would cope this time of year while working as a sub teacher. Ive a good mind to ring them and tell them how I feel.

Ring who? Sure the phone won't be answered anyway 😠It was well flagged this year that this was going to be the case. Doesn't make it alright though. Teachers need to keep themselves informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Secondary pay was up until Wed 5th Dec which is why hours would be short. We should get paid for Thurs and Fri of that week in the next pay check. There was a notice advising of this in our staff room

Ring who? Sure the phone won't be answered anyway 😠It was well flagged this year that this was going to be the case. Doesn't make it alright though. Teachers need to keep themselves informed.

Payroll, I had to ring them when I started as I hadnt been paid for 8 weeks, they were really helpful, my wages were in the following pay day.
    It wasnt well flagged, its the first ive heard there was going to be delays. I wouldnt mind, these things happen but as its a particularly expensive time of year I was relying on my wage, as is everyone else this time of year. This also means ive another 2 weeks of no pay. Not acceptable at all and I dont feel that any other profession would be expected to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Can you advise as to how best to keep informed? My experience is that DES payroll don't answer the phone and don't reply to emails. You say this was "well flagged" - to who? I subbed for two weeks in a school and no information was posted about Christmas pay. The DP said ask the secretary, the secretary said she didn't know and was too busy.

Thankfully I'm not relying on the money but I won't be doing any more subbing for DES schools. Their payroll appears to be incompetent and they just don't seem to give a fiddler's about subs.

Follow Voice For Teachers on FB, attend your union meetings are just two places where I came across this information. Also have heard of union reps in schools making people aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Follow Voice For Teachers on FB, attend your union meetings are just two places where I came across this information. Also have heard of union reps in schools making people aware of it.

I do both already. My union branch is for a particular ETB so no info on Department pay (they did source the info for me after I contacted them for assistance after DES had made a mess of my pay) and the info I saw on VfT was when the pay dates had already passed. Union reps in schools are little use to casual subs. Any official sources of information for casual subs re Department pay dates? A list of cut of dates for entry on OLCS and then pay dates? This should be available several months in advance. The ETB I worked for provided a list of this info for a year in advance.

It's hardly surprising they're so desperate for subs with the attitude they have towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

lawred2 wrote: »
    Pensions aren't tax

The pension related deduction is a tax.....it doesn’t go into our pension and is deducted from our wages....what else could it be ? It makes my blood boil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

solerina wrote: »
    The pension related deduction is a tax.....it doesn’t go into our pension and is deducted from our wages....what else could it be ? It makes my blood boil

It's the exact opposite of tax. It reduces the tax you pay on your salary.

It's actually a tax efficient saving.

You'll get a very decent pension because of this when you reach retirement.

This is grown up 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

It's the exact opposite of tax. It reduces the tax you pay on your salary.

It's actually a tax efficient saving.

You'll get a very decent pension because of this when you reach retirement.

This is grown up 101.

It is not part of my pension...I pay that separately, it is a tax pure and simple, there is nothing of benefit what so ever to anyone who pays it.

solerina wrote: »
    It is not part of my pension...I pay that separately, it is a tax pure and simple, there is nothing of benefit what so ever to anyone who pays it.

What are you talking about? What pension payment that's not a pension contribution?

Are you taking about the spousal element?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

What are you talking about? What pension payment that's not a pension contribution?

Are you taking about the spousal element?

It's called the pension levy which was a levy in the public sector during the recession brought in by femi legislation.

Although called a levy it doesn't actually go into your pension contributions, it's just a special tax on public sector.

kala85 wrote: »
    It's called the pension levy which was a levy in the public sector during the recession brought in by femi legislation.

Although called a levy it doesn't actually go into your pension contributions, it's just a special tax on public sector.

I just looked at my wife's pay slip and it's called pension related deduction.

What is actually being complained about here is paying more to your defined benefit pension than heretofore. Even as it stands the public sector defined benefit is still being subsidised by other tax payers.

So, it's an increased pension contribution, but it's still a pension contribution. Sorry, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

I just looked at my wife's pay slip and it's called pension related deduction.

What is actually being complained about here is paying more to your defined benefit pension than heretofore. Even as it stands the public sector defined benefit is still being subsidised by other tax payers.

So, it's an increased pension contribution, but it's still a pension contribution. Sorry, nothing to see here.
    Its called prd. Pension related deduction which was called the pension levy.

It doesn't actually go into your pension but it is a sizable amount of a deduction each week.

Also newer entrants are subject to career averages pensions and still have to pay it.

kala85 wrote: »
    Its called prd. Pension related deduction which was called the pension levy.

It doesn't actually go into your pension but it is a sizable amount of a deduction each week.

Also newer entrants are subject to career averages pensions and still have to pay it.

Is what is being paid even with the pension related deduction (per primary teacher pay slip) towards the defined benefit pension enough to fund the actual pension received? No.

It's called a pension deduction... Therefore a pension contribution.

If the government were being clever they could give the public sector the option to opt out of the defined pension scheme and move onto a defined contribution scheme. It would save a fortune if a sizeable proportion moved, considering it makes their blood boil to contribute what they are paying.

But, pretty sure there would be enough advice to tell them to stay as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is what is being paid even with the pension related deduction (per primary teacher pay slip) towards the defined benefit pension enough to fund the actual pension received? No.

It's called a pension deduction... Therefore a pension contribution.

If the government were being clever they could give the public sector the option to opt out of the defined pension scheme and move onto a defined contribution scheme. It would save a fortune if a sizeable proportion moved, considering it makes their blood boil to contribute what they are paying.

But, pretty sure there would be enough advice to tell them to stay as is.

Does the PRD go into

A: the pension pot
    or
    B: general taxation pot?

If it goes directly into the pension pot fair enough. But if it goes into the general exchequer then it's no different to income tax.

So where does it go?

Does the PRD go into

A: the pension pot
    or
    B: general taxation pot?

If it goes directly into the pension pot fair enough. But if it goes into the general exchequer then it's no different to income tax.

So where does it go?

What pension pot? There has been attempts by previous governments to provide for future pension liabilities, but most future pension payments are predicated on the future working population being able to pay pensions of future retirees - hence the pension time bomb. The relatively generous state pension will also be a major drain. But there's not a significant government pension pot, in the same way as a private sector pension pot may be ring fenced.

• Advertisement

What pension pot? There has been attempts by previous governments to provide for future pension liabilities, but most future pension payments are predicated on the future working population being able to pay pensions of future retirees - hence the pension time bomb. The relatively generous state pension will also be a major drain. But there's not a significant government pension pot, in the same way as a private sector pension pot may be ring fenced.

in threads relating to public sector pensions do you weigh in on the pensions as

a. self funded

or

b. paid out of curent spending

Advertisement