Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers Being Paid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Every teacher can join a union.

Blaizes - if you're going from school to school, you can pay ~€50 to join the union. Why can't you join a union? It's one of the most important things you need to do in our careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well I always speak 'nicely' and maybe that was my problem a pushover.

You might be better off emailing them. Payroll can be quite complex as there are a number of variables, and if they receive an email they can investigate it in their own time rather than trying to solve it while talking on the phone to someone.

On the 13th of this month my wife was significantly underpaid. An email was sent to payroll. We got an email back the next day explaining why it was under paid (seems Revenue were at fault) and we responded and it was fully corrected in the recent payroll including the refund of overpaid tax. From the initial email to getting confirmation it would be corrected took about 1 week.

You might be better off emailing them. Payroll can be quite complex as there are a number of variables, and if they receive an email they can investigate it in their own time rather than trying to solve it while talking on the phone to someone.

On the 13th of this month my wife was significantly underpaid. An email was sent to payroll. We got an email back the next day explaining why it was under paid (seems Revenue were at fault) and we responded and it was fully corrected in the recent payroll including the refund of overpaid tax. From the initial email to getting confirmation it would be corrected took about 1 week.

Yes I concur, DES are very approachable and always get the job done. They're always painted in a bad light.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Not in ETBs - payroll and HR. Principal is really only a manger who deals with in school.

Also agree regarding managing.- see my post above.

But in a private company you also have payroll and HR etc. You also have a line manager who must, if asked, address issues you may have with HR and/or payroll. But in etbs it would appear that this managerial function has been ceded to trade unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Blaizes - if you're going from school to school, you can pay ~€50 to join the union. Why can't you join a union? It's one of the most important things you need to do in our careers.

No I can't I put in an enquiry with one union and when I told them I was working in different schools this year as a casual sub I was told no. I would agree it is important but what what do you do or can you do.

• Advertisement

Blaizes wrote: »
    No I can't I put in an enquiry with one union and when I told them I was working in different schools this year as a casual sub I was told no. I would agree it is important but what what do you do or can you do.

You can with ASTI just need two signatures from members.

See application form - first option substitute teachers €50.85

https://www.asti.ie/asti-membership/join-asti/

That is the union I would prefer to join but I put in an enquiry with tui as was working in a tui school at the time, I was shocked by the response I got and then didn't contact asti as felt they would probably tell me the same thing which was probably the wrong assumption on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Blaizes wrote:

Primary or secondary sector?

Primary or secondary sector?

Secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Really shouldn't be an issue joining a union.

Who in the TUI said that to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The delay in payment for substitutes is due to a system upgrade in the DES, something to do with Revenue.

The INTO flagged it in early December, didn't seem to notice the consequences, and then lodged a protest with DES when it was too late.

Neither of the other unions seem to have copped it at all, despite being told about it by DES.

Really shouldn't be an issue joining a union.

Who in the TUI said that to you?

Someone in the office, as I was subbing at different schools etb and non etb they told me I'd need something more long term like a maternity leave to be able to join. Maybe it makes sense I don't know but from the point of view of the sub teacher if anything were to go wrong the non union sub has no where to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

This is actually quite incredible. Like mtoutlemonde, I have had nothing but a positive, professional service from the DES salary section. Most recently last week when trying to get a salary cert.

However, if my salary were not to be in my account on the appointed day, that impacts mortgage repayments/ credit rating and childcare fees - two substantial payments I never mess with. Not to mention the other bills. I'd imagine there are many people trying to keep a good payment record in anticipation of applying for a mortgage and this could undermine that application. Somebody needs to be held to account here.

Being paid on time is one of the most obvious non-negotiables of being an employee - if you can't get that security, you might as well go into business yourself, take the insecurity and the greater profit.

Someone in the office, as I was subbing at different schools etb and non etb they told me I'd need something more long term like a maternity leave to be able to join. Maybe it makes sense I don't know but from the point of view of the sub teacher if anything were to go wrong the non union sub has no where to turn.

If someone said it in the office, 'they' (etb/principal) could throw you under the bus if anything went wrong i.e. the sub has no protection...but the end of your career if an allegation is made. Get yourself into a union as soon as you can. It won't cost what I quoted above as half the school year is gone. If you're an NQT, it's free for first year. It's as valuable as car insurance.

tui office told me. I wholeheartedly agree that union membership is essential for any teacher.I will see what the asti say and will contact them.If they won't take me I'm going to throw in the towel as it's just not worth it, risks are too high.

tui office told me. I wholeheartedly agree that union membership is essential for any teacher.I will see what the asti say and will contact them.If they won't take me I'm going to throw in the towel as it's just not worth it, risks are too high.

There will be no problem with ASTI ... don't get me started on the spineless TUI - they weren't turning away members during the dispute ... that's for another thread 😀 Best of luck.

Thanks mtoutlemonde, very good advice, hope all the subs out there are in a union or make it their new year's resolution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

sullivlo wrote: »
    Between PAYE, USC and the two pensions, I was taxed more than I earned in December. Ridiculous.
    I'm pushing my teen in the direction of teaching ( secondary) as a steady job, with a future,am I wrong,he and I have been chatting ref same for 2 yrs,he's a bright boy, sensitive,and has been teaching Tae Kwon do to smallie for 2 years,( part of his black belt training)has a place in his old primary school later on as work experience,,,I'm a painter,and definitely don't want him near the trades,too unpredictable,he's in TY,have 2 friends teaching ,on the whole their happy enough with what they have, hopefully salary/ conditions will get better for all next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you consider the pension contribution a tax?
    Not to re-ignite something but I meant that the deductions to my pay amounted to more than I earned. When you live month to month and have rent, bills, loans etc, pension contributions mean nothing to the bank manager.

DES put me on week 1 tax and charged me 8% USC. They were aware of the issue in early December when I flagged it with them but their system was offline for an upgrade so they couldn’t fix it. This is on top of not being paid for the full hours that I worked in the month.

I worked in an ETB last year and had no issues in getting paid. It took DES about 3 weeks to respond to an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm pushing my teen in the direction of teaching ( secondary) as a steady job, with a future,am I wrong,he and I have been chatting ref same for 2 yrs,he's a bright boy, sensitive,and has been teaching Tae Kwon do to smallie for 2 years,( part of his black belt training)has a place in his old primary school later on as work experience,,,I'm a painter,and definitely don't want him near the trades,too unpredictable,he's in TY,have 2 friends teaching ,on the whole their happy enough with what they have, hopefully salary/ conditions will get better for all next few years
    I went back to teaching and I’m doing casual subbing currently, which is where the issues have arisen. I am hoping once the kinks get ironed out and I get a proper job that I’ll get paid correctly.

There was a change in how tax credits were applied for teachers in December. I guess this had a knock on effect on other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

No I would definitely be pushing him towards a trade. There's been a steady decline in pay and conditions for teachers for years (just look at this thread!). With a trade you can travel for work and intricate one's like plumber and electrician will be the hardest to automate in the coming years. Sorry to derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

Meanwhile... No one has noticed the elephant in the room, no completed ASC10 Form = 10.5% docked from pay come 1st of January.

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2018/21.pdf
    An individual will nominate a main public service employment for the purpose of ASC via the ASC10 form. That main public service employment will apply the ASC thresholds for that year to pensionable
    emuneration in that employment. All other public service employment(s) in respect of that individual are deemed to be subsidiary public service employments and the relevant public service employers will apply ASC to any pensionable remuneration at the rate of 10.5%

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tow wrote: »
    Meanwhile... No one has noticed the elephant in the room, no completed ASC10 Form = 10.5% docked from pay come 1st of January.

Is that across the board for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tow wrote: »

Did you read the circular? Those with multiple public service employments need to complete the form. Not someone in one job

From my understanding (but as a designated Troll you should stop reading my post) you will need to fill out the ASC10 form before the end of 2019. At the end of 2019 IF you have more than one PS employer there will be an automatic balancing calculation and extra ASC deducted if underpaid during the year. As the ASC10 form warns. I don't see a case where anyone will overpay during the year.

If you are in multiple qualifying employment the sooner you send off the completed ASC10 the better as your ASC will be deducted more correctly and the less balancing payment will be required at the end of the year. It's fairly complicated and I imagine if you're in multiple PS employment a balancing calculation will be required each year. The ASC10 form, should reduce it though, and only IMO.

I think the thresholds are higher for ASC (which replaces PRD) so there should be some marginal gains for most if not all PS workers.

Is that across the board for everyone?

In short ASC, replacing PRD, will apply to everyone that is entitled to a PS pension on retirement. Refunds will apply if that no longer becomes the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Teachers who work for pdst and sec On the side

Did you read the circular? Those with multiple public service employments need to complete the form. Not someone in one job

I think everyone in pensionable PS employment will need to fill out the form, but if you only have one employment you'll not need to fill out the second page of the ASC10 form.

While not filling out the ASC10 form should not mean extra contributions are deducted it does warn that payment may be stopped altogether! I suspect a certain amount of time will be given to get the forms into payroll. Can you imagine the meltdown otherwise!

sullivlo wrote: »
    Not to re-ignite something but I meant that the deductions to my pay amounted to more than I earned. When you live month to month and have rent, bills, loans etc, pension contributions mean nothing to the bank manager.

DES put me on week 1 tax and charged me 8% USC. They were aware of the issue in early December when I flagged it with them but their system was offline for an upgrade so they couldn’t fix it. This is on top of not being paid for the full hours that I worked in the month.

I worked in an ETB last year and had no issues in getting paid. It took DES about 3 weeks to respond to an email.

Appreciate that pension contributions are irksome, especially if you're a good way from retirement and need cash now. However the pension entitlements you are accruing are significant and way ahead of those outside the public sector (If , of course you live long enough to draw down the pension).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Will Yam wrote: »
    Appreciate that pension contributions are irksome, especially if you're a good way from retirement and need cash now. However the pension entitlements you are accruing are significant and way ahead of those outside the public sector (If , of course you live long enough to draw down the pension).

Unless you are single and childless, in which case you contribute to a pension you can never benifit from.

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Unless you are single and childless, in which case you contribute to a pension you can never benifit from.

True. But you receive a very good value pension nevertheless plus a lump sum equivalent to 3 years taxable pay. All at 65 (or possibly younger). No waiting till you're 67 or 68 like the poor sods in private sector.

Advertisement