Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers Being Paid

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does the PRD go into

A: the pension pot
    or
    B: general taxation pot?

If it goes directly into the pension pot fair enough. But if it goes into the general exchequer then it's no different to income tax.

So where does it go?

The pot comes from general taxation. If the pot only contained the PRD/ levies whatever then there would be a serious shortfall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

Did you read the circular? Those with multiple public service employments need to complete the form. Not someone in one job

They don't know if you are in multiple employments, so the form needs to be completed to tell payroll so. From the top of the ASC10 form:
    With effect from 1 January 2019, all employees are required to declare their overall personal public service pension status with
    regard to any public service pension scheme or pension arrangement1
    . The following details are required to be completed and
    returned immediately to the payroll department.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ted1 wrote: »
    The pot comes from general taxation. If the pot only contained the PRD/ levies whatever then there would be a serious shortfall

You're

A. 100% correct
    B. Answering a mod's question
    C. Still trolling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

ted1 wrote: »

And that is why there is a time bomb waiting to go off where these pensions are concerned. There should be a pot but if there was it would be clear to what extent the taxpayer every year would have to make up the shortfall. The irony of all this is that the shortfall will be made up largely by people who can afford little or no pensions for themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Unless you are single and childless, in which case you contribute to a pension you can never benifit from.

I wonder would there be a genuine case to be taken here...surely being forced to pay into what is essentially an insurance policy that we never agreed to should be illegal ?? Especially for people with no spouse or children, but for us all when we never agreed to this deduction ??? It constantly annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

solerina wrote: »
    I wonder would there be a genuine case to be taken here...surely being forced to pay into what is essentially an insurance policy that we never agreed to should be illegal ?? Especially for people with no spouse or children, but for us all when we never agreed to this deduction ??? It constantly annoys me.
    Never been challenged the old version u could claw it back if you were a priest or retired barren and a spinster.

My late widowed father banged on about this. I advised him not to attract too much attention to the terms of a ps pension as some of the 85% on the outside might also demand fairness........

Will Yam wrote: »
    My late widowed father banged on about this. I advised him not to attract too much attention to the terms of a ps pension as some of the 85% on the outside might also demand fairness........

There is nothing stopping anybody in the private sector applying for PS jobs. The pay and conditions of PS jobs have always been publicly available, totally transparent.

I do think they have a good pension, but the salary structure is very limited, and the pension makes up for this, imo.

True. But you receive a very good value pension nevertheless plus a lump sum equivalent to 3 years taxable pay. All at 65 (or possibly younger). No waiting till you're 67 or 68 like the poor sods in private sector.

I don't know of any other type of employment where you are forced, by law to have a pension that you will never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We pay for our pension, on death they’ll pay 4 times your salary to your estate or 8.5 if you have a wife or dependents standard policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Every time a bank or whatever makes a mistake and payments are late getting transferred I see threads like this.

Very few teachers should be living paycheck to paycheck, if you are then you are living beyond your means, do whatever you can to save a few thousand as a buffer. (some sites recommend that you should have six months pay saved but even just having a month or two would prevent any worry about delayed payments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Teachers who work for pdst and sec On the side

I superintend with SEC - so will I have to fill in the ASC form? For what I earn with them I never bother putting tax credits towards it.

I don't know of any other type of employment where you are forced, by law to have a pension that you will never use.

Many private pension schemes have some sort of widows benefits as part of the package so it's not unique to the ps. What's different is that the ps identifies it separately. If you go to buy a pension with your savings you will be charged extra for widows cover but you don't have to buy it. From memory it's very expensive and far far more than the ps contribution (quelle surprise...).

I superintend with SEC - so will I have to fill in the ASC form? For what I earn with them I never bother putting tax credits towards it.

Tax credits and tax bands affect income tax only. You, and everybody regardless, will need to submit an ASC10.

Many private pension schemes have some sort of widows benefits as part of the package so it's not unique to the ps. What's different is that the ps identifies it separately. If you go to buy a pension with your savings you will be charged extra for widows cover but you don't have to buy it. From memory it's very expensive and far far more than the ps contribution (quelle surprise...).
    Last time I looked private pensions were optional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Blaizes wrote: »
    tui office told me. I wholeheartedly agree that union membership is essential for any teacher.I will see what the asti say and will contact them.If they won't take me I'm going to throw in the towel as it's just not worth it, risks are too high.

I am a branch chair in the TUI and we have a member in with us who only casually subs as you have described your situation. He paid an annual fee to cover his membership as some weeks he has no pay.
    Whoever you spoke with in the head office was misinformed. I know the membership section has hired two new people in the last few months so it may have been one of those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It applies to All Public Service Employees who are members of a Public Service
    Pension Scheme, receive a payment in lieu of pension or receive an
    “ex-gratia” retirement gratuity on retirement

Also from the circular:

While PRD was based on taxable remuneration, ASC is based on pensionable
    remuneration only.

You won't be getting any pension from the SEC for superintending.

Advertisement