Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very large ash tree

Options
  • 21-12-2018 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i just bought a house with a nice mature garden. At the end of the garden there is a huge ash tree. Much higher than 2 story house. To be honest, i would rather keep it but would it be likely for ash trees to cause many problems?

It doesn't cash much shade because it's on the north side and it's a long garden. I guess i'd be worried that if it did fall, it might fall into neigbouring properties. Also should keep an eye out on the diseases that are affecting ash at the moment. I can post a pic of the bare tree if it helps. I identified it by it's black buds and the bark so i'm pretty sure it's ash.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Lucky you! It shouldn't cause much trouble if it's not very close to anyone's house. Ash trees aren't very "shady" either because their leaves are slender.

My house is surrounded by native ash. Watch out for a disease called "dieback". If the leaves are healthy and it's shooting well in the summer - it's healthy.

Enjoy your beautiful tree and mature garden. You're very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Only thing to watch out for is that they can throw a lot of seeds in autumn (those little helicopters that children enjoy) and you may get Ash seedlings cropping up here and there.

Pull them up promptly while still young: they can be a nuisance to get rid of, if let grow. They grow faster than you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The only real problem with Ash as a garden tree is that it drops small bits of dead wood all the time. Near a path, drive or lawn that can be a nuisance with the cleaning up that can be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks all :) That puts my mind at ease. It's a lovely tree. I didn't see any sign of disease when I viewed house during the summer. Have a silver birch also that's closer the house but not as big and is lovely. Looking forward to spring now to see what else comes alive in the garden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

2 storey house is only,, what, 9m high? A 15m tree looks enormous but 15m isn't much space in a big garden.

Tall trees don't look so big when they fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Lumen wrote: »
    2 storey house is only,, what, 9m high? A 15m tree looks enormous but 15m isn't much space in a big garden.

Tall trees don't look so big when they fall.

....unless the place that they fall is your house!

Having said that, and as others have said, healthy ash trees are quite hardy are rarely fall down.

Advertisement