Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Bus Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Should have been one every 15 mins. Are you saying that no bus showed up at all within that hour? Shocking.

Were you on the South Mall?

Ya it was the South Mall. No bus turned up. Two empty double deckers were parked up at the stop. A sizable crowd had formed over the hour. Any bus that turned up was just going to be swamped. I just gave up and went for coffee in the new Maldron for an hour (after waiting at the stop for an hour). Good thing I wasn't in any rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ya it was the South Mall. No bus turned up. Two empty double deckers were parked up at the stop. A sizable crowd had formed over the hour. Any bus that turned up was just going to be swamped. I just gave up and went for coffee in the new Maldron for an hour (after waiting at the stop for an hour). Good thing I wasn't in any rush!

Well that's just ridiculous. I'd be fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Well that's just ridiculous. I'd be fuming.

It must have been because cars were slowing up the busses in transit! That's pretty much the only excuse those defending bus eireann in the Patrick street car ban threat say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

smurgen wrote: »
    It must have been because cars were slowing up the busses in transit! That's pretty much the only excuse those defending bus eireann in the Patrick street car ban threat say.
    What?

TheChizler wrote: »
    What?

*thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

*thread
    Ah OK. Still though nobody was claiming traffic was the cause of buses completely disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

From what I can see the only thing that has changed on the 208 route is that the drivers smoke and read the Echo outside the Hospice as opposed to doing so on the Curraheen Roundabout as they did in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

From what I can see the only thing that has changed on the 208 route is that the drivers smoke and read the Echo outside the Hospice as opposed to doing so in the Curraheen Roundabout as they did in the past.

God be with the days when they (drivers) smoked cigarettes while the bus was in transit, The gear selector buttons on the buses used to also be melted from drivers resting their lighting cigarettes there while taking fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

God be with the days when they (drivers) smoked cigarettes while the bus was in transit, The gear selector buttons on the buses used to also be melted from drivers resting their lighting cigarettes there while taking fares.

Number 8 on the way home at the Hawkes Road stop by the old An Post shop don't know how many times the driver would head out of the bus with the coin thing. After he came out of the shop he'd light up a fag and just stare at the bus and passenger's no bother to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Number 8 on the way home at the Hawkes Road stop by the old An Post shop don't know how many times the driver would head out of the bus with the coin thing. After he came out of the shop he'd light up a fag and just stare at the bus and passenger's no bother to him.

My father is Ex C.I.E/Bus Eireann, i've heard alot more stories than that of what drivers got up to :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

cool story m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

On the few occasions I attempted to take the 208 from Western Road to St Lukes I've ended up soaked and walking. The bus went to Patrick's Street and just stopped and we were all asked to get off. On other occasions the app was tracking phantom busses and nothing showed up.

I gave up and never used it again and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Basically in Cork you walk or drive. The busses are an unreliable joke.

Meanwhile CO2 outputs rise and rise and rise ...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

For some reason Irish people seem to accept the disgraceful service they receive from BE.

People are picked up late, get scowled at by the driver instead of getting an apology or reason for being late sit on a stinking old bus, and still seem inclined to say "Thank you" on the way off!

Until there is widespread challenging of the crap service, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Everybody should like this page: https://www.facebook.com/CorkBus/

Nearly 700 likes already and Bus Eireann threatening legal action against the owner of the page...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Are the night buses running tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

snotboogie wrote: »
    Everybody should like this page: https://www.facebook.com/CorkBus/

Nearly 700 likes already and Bus Eireann threatening legal action against the owner of the page...

Indeed, and also from looking at the page, the Examiner have an article on it tomorrow.

Good to finally see someone doing something about it once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mardyke wrote: »
    For some reason Irish people seem to accept the disgraceful service they receive from BE.

People are picked up late, get scowled at by the driver instead of getting an apology or reason for being late sit on a stinking old bus, and still seem inclined to say "Thank you" on the way off!

Until there is widespread challenging of the crap service, nothing will change.

That's one thing you can't say about the city buses. They're all virtually new, less than a few years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's one thing you can't say about the city buses. They're all virtually new, less than a few years old.

Seen a few old boneshakers still in use to be fair.

Seen a few old boneshakers still in use to be fair.

Very very few. The comment was clearly trying to state that the buses are routinely old and stinking. Blatantly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Very very few. The comment was clearly trying to state that the buses are routinely old and stinking. Blatantly not true.

Maybe not literally old but lots of them are dirty and could do with a good clean and for the windows to be left open for a while. They certainly do not give the impression of being brand new.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

How is the bus service in the city getting worse despite the panan ban and an increase in bus lanes throughout the city??-pathetic service

mean gene wrote: »
    How is the bus service in the city getting worse despite the panan ban and an increase in bus lanes throughout the city??-pathetic service

That's just an excuse.i think the real question at this stage is where is the money going? It seems clear given the level of delays,no shows and lack of adherance to the timetables that there couldn't possibly be the amount of busses on the road they are claiming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its simple, most drivers simply don't give a ****e and have no interest in delivering a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/campaign-seeks-those-fed-up-with-late-buses-in-cork-894460.html

Bus Eireann boast a response time of 15 working days to complaints! They also claim that they don’t get a disproportionate amount of complaints from Cork City

snotboogie wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/campaign-seeks-those-fed-up-with-late-buses-in-cork-894460.html

Bus Eireann boast a response time of 15 working days to complaints! They also claim that they don’t get a disproportionate amount of complaints from Cork City

It seems to me they are barefaced lying about service and satisfaction levels at this stage. I found the statistics in their service audits unbelievable also to the point where i thing the results were manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's a very poor article and it's clear De Paper have no intention of taking BE to task.
    How can BE blame traffic congestion for services terminating early or up to 4 buses an hour going missing.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Maybe not literally old but lots of them are dirty and could do with a good clean and for the windows to be left open for a while. They certainly do not give the impression of being brand new.

I lived in Dublin for years and was pretty shocked to see the state of the buses in Cork when I moved back. Most on my route are pretty new but they are rarely cleaned and some literally have cans and rubbish just rolling around the upper decks as they move.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

normanbond wrote: »
    Are the night buses running tonight?

Nope, thats ye lot until next October.

Absolute s**te service from BE not running buses later than 11pm on weekends.
    Used those buses over Christmas and they were always busy and with zero hassle. If anything there was a good vibe on the buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's very urgent that this gets fixed. It's feeding into Ireland's CO2 output and that's feeding into the state walking into massive fines.

It's not good enough to just not deal with this.

• Advertisement

I lived in Dublin for years and was pretty shocked to see the state of the buses in Cork when I moved back. Most on my route are pretty new but they are rarely cleaned and some literally have cans and rubbish just rolling around the upper decks as they move.

Dublin buses are actually old and are filthy. No idea how you were so "shocked".

Advertisement