Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Bus Service

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    They should stop having buses cut through the city traffic to get from A to B for example Mayfield to Bishopstown two really busy routes will never have buses on time.

Same with Ballincollig to Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Issue been discussed today on the opinion line on Corks 96fm.

Redfm too. Glad it's getting the exposure it deserves.

It's embarrassing to have such an appalling service really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

BE seems to do a lot of testing of busses and then never rolls them out. I remember we had a compressed natural gas bus on test in Cork a few years ago that amounted to nothing.

There were also biofuel busses before that and I never heard any more about them either.

There's not much point in doing PR launches of green busses and then not following through.

I have zero confidence in this being anything any different. It'll be the usual minister at door of new eco bus and we'll be back to the usual bone rattling old diesels that they've always used. It's like they specifically use truck suspensions or something ...

EdgeCase wrote: »
    BE seems to do a lot of testing of busses and then never rolls them out. I remember we had a compressed natural gas bus on test in Cork a few years ago that amounted to nothing.

There were also biofuel busses before that and I never heard any more about them either.

There's not much point in doing PR launches of green busses and then not following through.

I have zero confidence in this being anything any different. It'll be the usual minister at door of new eco bus and we'll be back to the usual bone rattling old diesels that they've always used. It's like they specifically use truck suspensions or something ...

Shane will get his photo op done and we'll never see them again. We need to kick him out. Pathetic Minister for Transport really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Same with Ballincollig to Carrigaline.

But then people complain about having to get 2 buses instead of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The full Waterford city fleet has been replaced by these new buses.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But then people complain about having to get 2 buses instead of one.

I would safely say that majority of users aren't doing the full route end to end. The buses would be more punctual making interchanging quicker than one long route and is a model followed across cities that have good public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

I would safely say that majority of users aren't doing the full route end to end. The buses would be more punctual making interchanging quicker than one long route and is a model followed across cities that have good public transport.

Plenty of cities with good public transport have long cross city routes. Berlin has long routes eg the M19, Luxembourg (which has fab public transport) has cross city buses such as the 18. Then again the 18 has access to bus lanes across most of its journey and priority over cars at some junctions - that wouldn't go down well here

In Cork a sizable number of people stay on the 202 when it crosses the city.

The issue isn't whether folk are doing the route end to end it's about how much of the route theg are doing eg Jimmy could get on the 202 at Ashton to go all the way up to Apple. Or Joan could get on near the North Cathedral (ish) and be getting off at Ashton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

namloc1980 wrote: »

The full Waterford city fleet has been replaced by these new buses.

No the new ones in Waterford just have less emissions than the old ones, they also have smaller engines.
    One of the reasons the entire fleet was replaced down there was because TFI put the routes down there out to competitive tender and BE succeeded in winning that tender. Part of it was the plan to introduce these yellow/ blue bus fleet which is owned by TFI.

The first energy rated buses that TFI will but will be later this summer.

The eagle eyed amongst you might have noticed a gas powered London Bus double decker doing street trials in Cork before Christmas. It did the same in Dublin also.

This is a Wright Buses model and BE / TFI have been using there products now for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I was on a bus yesterday (not a city service) and got into conversation with the driver who told me that he got abuse from a passenger over the Christmas period re.bus times. According to him he as good as told the passenger to **** off. (Whether he actually did say that is of course another matter. So it`s not just the city services where there are issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Why are Apple putting on 3 tri axle coaches shadowing the 202 every day? i have yet to see a single soul on the thing.

So, apparently someone took a video of a Cork Bus driver playing on his phone while driving: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=269293663763361&id=261202614572466

I can't see this ending well for BE. On top of the other issues they currently have. People in Cork are certainly not on their side anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It feels like there is a bit of weight behind the public criticism of the bus service in Cork at the moment. It's good to see. A clearout of management is badly needed though. It's the only way to change the rotten culture that exists in that company.

I can't wait to see how they manage the 24 hr service, buses every 15 mins, on the the 220/X route starting Jan 13th!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I don't know but I feel that the drivers have this attitude that by doing their job, that they think they are doing the passengers a favour.
    Is it a result of people saying thank you to the driver while getting off, just being mannerly which I am all for. But does this cause a certain mentality then?

I always think that the way the unions are in BE that the very existance of the company is to look out for the drivers as opposed to the passengers.

There is also drivers in BE who would.resort to intimation during strikes, like when it was alleged that a GoBE driver was assaulted during a previous strike.
    The place is rotten to the core and it is a lot more than a management issue.

It will be interesting how the 220 24 hour operation goes, at least they cannot be blaming traffic for not turning up on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

So, apparently someone took a video of a Cork Bus driver playing on his phone while driving: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=269293663763361&id=261202614572466

I can't see this ending well for BE. On top of the other issues they currently have. People in Cork are certainly not on their side anyway...
    That's surely a suspension offence risking the lives of passengers on the bus like that.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    That's surely a suspension offence risking the lives of passengers on the bus like that.

Who knows what they did. It warrants a public statement from BE really. It's absolutely shocking.

I see on the FB page, there's BE drivers commenting on it saying its been 'computerised' as in photoshopped or something. They're giving your man that put it up awful abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Why are Apple putting on 3 tri axle coaches shadowing the 202 every day? i have yet to see a single soul on the thing.

From a friend who is an employee:

Its a medium term project. After over 18months of having issues with BE buses being full in the morning, or not turning up for over an hour it was starting to have a very noticeable effect on employees punctuality .They must have decided they had no choice but to put a dedicated bus service on for those peak hours.

however his understanding is that it wasn't feasible for a bus company to just operate those specific hours so they run all day. The employees are paying for that bus too - it isn't free.

Who knows what they did. It warrants a public statement from BE really. It's absolutely shocking.

I see on the FB page, there's BE drivers commenting on it saying its been 'computerised' as in photoshopped or something. They're giving your man that put it up awful abuse.

Some of the comments are shocking really. From defending the drivers action (despite it been dangerous and illegal) to personally attacking the founder of this campaign. It's not just management at fault it's the whole culture of BE where the passengers are just an inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Whats the betting the drivers covering the unsocial hours for the 24h service will be non-nationals? Not been racist or anything but cant see the feet under the table Irish drivers doing those hours. Few of those lads driving those buses have been doing it since my school days they know which side of the bread is buttered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Some of the comments are shocking really. From defending the drivers action (despite it been dangerous and illegal) to personally attacking the founder of this campaign. It's not just management at fault it's the whole culture of BE where the passengers are just an inconvenience.

They're all in the Welcome Inn now bitching and moaning about all this attention.

• Advertisement

They're all in the Welcome Inn now bitching and moaning about all this attention.

They won't be liking the attention that's for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flexcon wrote: »
    From a friend who is an employee:

Its a medium term project. After over 18months of having issues with BE buses being full in the morning, or not turning up for over an hour it was starting to have a very noticeable effect on employees punctuality .They must have decided they had no choice but to put a dedicated bus service on for those peak hours.

however his understanding is that it wasn't feasible for a bus company to just operate those specific hours so they run all day. The employees are paying for that bus too - it isn't free.
    Yesterday was the first time i actually seen someone onboard, and it was exactly that, one person. I done work out of Apple before, the whole road network up there is a mess, when Apple decided to expand i was surprised it was where they currently are.

Advertisement