Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused as to what course to do for teaching

Options
  • 21-12-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, I want to become a 2nd level teacher and i don't know what course I need to do to become one. I wish to teach Maths and Science but I can't find info for it. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would first do a degree (or degrees) in the subjects you want to teach and then a two year Masters.

There is a concurrent teaching course in the Sciences in Limerick, but you would probably have to do an add on course to also teach Maths.

Please investigate the jobs market before you continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

For science, you have 2 options.
    You can do a science degree and then do a 2 year PME course to be qualified to teach. - 6 years total and quite expensive.
    The other option is to do a concurrent science teaching degree. There are a few of these in the country. In UCC you can access it through course CK406 or 402.
    At the moment I don't think you can qualify as both science and maths teacher. Maybe through an engineering course?
    You should talk to your guidance counsellor in school. They have all of this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

DC203 is a concurrent degree in DCU where you can qualify with maths and physics or chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    For science, you have 2 options.
    You can do a science degree and then do a 2 year PME course to be qualified to teach. - 6 years total and quite expensive.
    The other option is to do a concurrent science teaching degree. There are a few of these in the country. In UCC you can access it through course CK406 or 402.
    At the moment I don't think you can qualify as both science and maths teacher. Maybe through an engineering course?
    You should talk to your guidance counsellor in school. They have all of this information.

Re: engineering courses and maths registration - if you're going that route - make sure that your degree qualifies you to teach maths. There was man who did the dip with me couldn't register for any subject and he was halfway through the dip when he found that out. Things have tightened up even more now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Re: engineering courses and maths registration - if you're going that route - make sure that your degree qualifies you to teach maths. There was man who did the dip with me couldn't register for any subject and he was halfway through the dip when he found that out. Things have tightened up even more now.

Tis many an engineer on here who's been caught out thinking they could qualify to teach maths! Do your homework very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Tis many an engineer on here who's been caught out thinking they could qualify to teach maths! Do your homework very carefully.

Who does an engineer enquire with out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Who does an engineer enquire with out of interest?

As far as I know, the only engineering degree that registers you teach maths is the B.Eng. (undenominated)

I took this up with the TC a few years ago, I have an engineering degree but not registered for maths but there is a science degree with exact same maths modules that allows you to teach maths - sent in both syllabi highlighting similarities and exams but the answer was still no.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Also done in Maynooth.

Advertisement