Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Period property Deep retrofit

• 21-12-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi,

We are considering an SEAI deep retro fit on our 2 story Georgian period property.
    Mainly because insulating the house internally seems to be a bit of a minefield and the offer for 50% from SEAI is very attractive.

From speaking with the contractor so far I gather it will involve the following to get to required A3 rating.

-External solid wall insulation. (house currently has cement render so not sure the of the full impact of EWI just yet, i know it moves the dew point out in to the external wall but where does the moisture go then?)
    -Triple glazed sliding sash windows
    -Upgraded front/back door (composite)
    -Air to Water heat pump/upgraded aluminum rads and or underfloor (insulated slab poured) in ground floor rooms currently with suspended floors.
    -Solar PV
    -Any roof works needed

I know this is fairly new but has anyone gone through this process and would you recommend it or have any advice. especially anyone with an older period house.
    Any feedback much appreciated.

A finger in the air question but if you put 100k worth of works in to a house for this kind of job, what kind of value woould it add to your house, if any?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

This is a good example of a project similar to yours. External insulation, new sash windows, airtightness, etc. Not sure your budget stretches to their £1.2 million but I'm sure it has items you can learn or use.
    https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine/upgrade/historic-london-house-gets-near-passive-transformation

That website is pretty good and could have other relevant retrofit projects https://passivehouseplus.ie/tag/retrofit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Thanks Dudda,

No nowhere near 1.2Mil! lol but I have actually read that artice before. its a good read alright, thank you.

I must search the rest of the site to see what else is on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

I finished mine around two months ago and couldn’t be happier. The only thing I would be concerned about is your culla are probably stone which it would be a shame to cut back and your eaves will more than likely not protrude enough to take the insulation without putting a silly looking aluminum flashing, you can extend out your rafters but that gets into a lot of work. Is it terraced or detached.

Advertisement