Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings for mortgage

• 21-12-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

So me and wife decided to start saving for our mortgage deposit so we can, hopefully buy a house in a couple of years.

My question is, we are moved to Ireland 2 years ago and we are both in PTSB bank. Do we need to open some special account for savings or we can just start keeping our extra money on current account? Thank you all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You don't need to but it would make sense to, if only so that if your card is skimmed there's less in your account that can be spent/stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭wally79

sashab wrote: »
    So me and wife decided to start saving for our mortgage deposit so we can, hopefully buy a house in a couple of years.

My question is, we are moved to Ireland 2 years ago and we are both in PTSB bank. Do we need to open some special account for savings or we can just start keeping our extra money on current account? Thank you all.

You don’t have to but it is easier to avoid temptation of spending your savings if they are on something like a 30 day notice account.

So you would have to tell the bank you are going to withdraw 30 days in advance.

Also in my opinion it looks good for your eventual mortgage application if you can show you are saving a regular amount each month and not spending it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I also think it makes it clearer that you were specifically putting away x amount every month and didn't take anything from it. Banks like to see consistent savings and its far clearer when there is a dedicated account for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sashab

Ok all, thank you for replys. I will then open saving account.

Advertisement