Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Golfer Magazine Top 100 Golf Courses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

For those who have talked about the Corballis 15/16 'field/cross-over' issue... fair enough. That may be a problem and that is taken into consideration in the rating process but there are other factors that lift it above those two holes.

I'd be interested to know what they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

As someone who was a Corballis member for 3 years, I think there are many other courses more deserving of a Top 100 spot. The fairways are regularly in poor condition, the rough unplayable in many places, balls lost easily from moderately bad shots. Strokes comps were often desperately long for a par 67.
    Improvements by Carr Golf in cutting back the rough and moving tees forward have made it more playable and reduced round times OK.

Corballis would be better placed among the best 9 hole courses for the front 9.

I personally like some of the older town courses which are not too long, use doglegs, requiring different clubs off the tee. Royal Tara for example.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kevin/Ally, why no Hogs Head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

First Up wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what they are

As below:
    There are brilliant and natural elements to the links that make it shine. The par threes, the par four 3rd, the short par fours where you can go for big drives if you feel brave.
    K

With the greatest of respect Kevin, Mulranny, no way should it be in the top 100 using the criteria outlined previously and i love the place and played it several times over the years. Barbed wire around the greens reminds me of football grounds in the seventies and eighties. Now if keeping a club and course open against all odds and Global Warming was a part of the marking regime then Mulranny would be imo in the top 10.

And that's where the battle over personal preferences and prescribed rating criteria clash.
    And I have no issue with the barbed wire. A unique flourish, no?;)

As someone who was a Corballis member for 3 years, I think there are many other courses more deserving of a Top 100 spot. The fairways are regularly in poor condition, the rough unplayable in many places, balls lost easily from moderately bad shots. Strokes comps were often desperately long for a par 67.
    Improvements by Carr Golf in cutting back the rough and moving tees forward have made it more playable and reduced round times OK.

Corballis would be better placed among the best 9 hole courses for the front 9.

I personally like some of the older town courses which are not too long, use doglegs, requiring different clubs off the tee. Royal Tara for example.

I've played it twice this year - once in winter, once in early summer before the scorched earth period. Both times it was in excellent condition.

"the rough unplayable in many places, balls lost easily from moderately bad shots"... have you played Royal County Down?

Royal Tara was in last year's Top 100... which was something I couldn't get my head around. It's a nice parkland for sure... but not Top 100 for me.

slave1 wrote: »
    Kevin/Ally, why no Hogs Head?

They do not wish to be ranked! And only two of us had played the course... because of that desire not to be ranked. It wouldn't rank that highly in my list based on Irish Golfer's criteria.

Have you played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Seve,

Well done for calling me out on safety at Castleknock vs Corballis: I do frequently state that the former has safety issues and rate it down for that reason. I tend to be much harder on it because it is modern and therefore should be held up to higher standards of design. I don’t rate The Old Course at St Andrews down for its crossing holes and blind shots - and Corballis gets a similar easy ride.

If you remember the first page of my presentation, I said first and foremost a golf course should be fun. And I find Corballis provides a lot more pleasurable excitement than Castleknock.

For what it’s worth, Curragh should be higher (considerably so if they stopped trying to make it a parkland course and embraced the open common land feel) and I am quite a fan of Blainroe.

Slave, Hog’s Head wasn’t rated because only two panellists had seen it. The magazine were supposed to state that. It wasn’t because they didn’t want to be rated. They don’t get to choose whether they are rated or not.

They do not wish to be ranked! And only two of us had played the course... because of that desire not to be ranked. It wouldn't rank that highly in my list based on Irish Golfer's criteria.

Have you played it?

Not yet, I get away a few weekends to play multiple courses but this/last year it was Sligo/Donegal/Derry that I played a good bit.
    Maybe next year as I've still to get to Foto Island also...
    Hard to move from the tip of the country, Rosapennas/Portsalon/Ballyliffins/Castlerock/Portstewarts/Portrush's, so many top courses -relatively- together.
    I could play Sandy Hills/Portsalon/both Ballyliffins/Portstewart/Dunluce in rotation for the rest of my life and be a happy camper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seve,

Well done for calling me out on safety at Castleknock vs Corballis: I do frequently state that the former has safety issues and rate it down for that reason. I tend to be much harder on it because it is modern and therefore should be held up to higher standards of design. I don’t rate The Old Course at St Andrews down for its crossing holes and blind shots - and Corballis gets a similar easy ride.

Corballis is a newer course than castleknock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I think the reason that corballis always sparks debate is easy to see. It's in Dublin, it's cheap and most on here have played it. I love the place but would not have it in the top 100. Too many poor holes. The back 9 really let's it down. And the clubhouse, while improved but still not great, closes far too early. Especially annoying if you get wet and need to shower after a round.

Castleknock not getting in at all is a joke. It's a fine course and far superior to many on the list.

My own club, New Forest, is ranked too high as well. Layout and facilities are very good but course condition is a real concern for our members and has been for a few years now. Tullamore is just one place above us, but is streets ahead of us imho.

And last point, Druids Glen has gone to the dogs. What used to be the best parkland in Ireland looks like it could be in real trouble. I know that there is very little negative comment in the ranking, don't want to piss off advertisers, but negatives should be called out.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Corballis is a newer course than castleknock.

No it’s not.

Ron Kirby added 4 new holes on the front nine about 10 years ago.

No it’s not.

Ron Kirby added 4 new holes on the front nine about 10 years ago.

fair enough
    i thought it was a total redesign
    i had never played the old course

Ally/Kevin,

Why the disparity between Sandy Hills (33) and Cashen (51), I always hear pretty much the same comment about both courses, toughness, tight greens etc but love that style.
    I'd imagine there would be sweet all between them in terms of Wow and Facilities and Conditioning so just wondering why they are not closer together, I'd have Cashen in the Top 20 myself, it's an adventure ala Carne

I haven't played Corballis for years so I can't comment on the new holes or layout. I'm glad to know the three makey uppy holes in the field are no more.

I remember it as a cheap and accessible links experience but I thought only two or three holes were in any way memorable.

I'd put it in the same quality bracket as St Annes or Seapoint. Cheaper than either but no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Castleknock is streets ahead of Corballis. Outside of the 3rd, which is as fine a golf hole as youd see anywhere in the country, Corballis is a bit mickey mouse tbh. If it wasnt a links course, it would have very little to offer.

Agree re The Cashen in Ballybunion. Incredibly underrated course. The par 3s alone are of such quality to warrant a top 30 imho. And thats before you look at holes like the 10th, the 18th and the epic 8th. Just a brilliant track.

Id rate Carlow higher, almost a perfect, classic parkland.

Top 10 always going to be the most hotly debated. Id have the Island ahead of Louth certainly. RCD at 5 seems unusual for such an internationally renowned and accessible course. Id have the K Club higher, comfortably the best parkland in Leinster. Adare may give it a run for its money from what Ive heard but with the greenfee and exclusivity involved with the new number 2, youd wonder if it is deserving of such a high ranking, since only a tiny percentage of players will ever be able to formulate an opinion on its merits.

Cant really argue with Portrush having played it twice, although the changes made for the Open were necessary to give it that extra push imo.

The Portrush changes were well worth it and improve the course, last time I played it they were taking down the flags on 17 but let me play it that day, such a shame to miss a hole with that bunker.
    I drove by it again this Summer and the old 18th still looked like it was open for play...

Castleknock is streets ahead of Corballis. Outside of the 3rd, which is as fine a golf hole as youd see anywhere in the country, Corballis is a bit mickey mouse tbh. If it wasnt a links course, it would have very little to offer.

Agree.

slave1 wrote: »
    Ally/Kevin,

Why the disparity between Sandy Hills (33) and Cashen (51), I always hear pretty much the same comment about both courses, toughness, tight greens etc but love that style.
    I'd imagine there would be sweet all between them in terms of Wow and Facilities and Conditioning so just wondering why they are not closer together, I'd have Cashen in the Top 20 myself, it's an adventure ala Carne

Slave,

The Cashen seems to be one of the most divisive courses in Ireland. It’s really difficult to know where it should place. Kevin loves it. Those on the panel who had visited it this year said that they lost the fairways during the drought.

I think it should be celebrated for being unlike any other course but that the designer made a few errors at the outset, chief amongst them not understanding links conditions when it comes to playability. The original greens were tiny with roll-offs all around, set in unreachable positions. It is very different to Carne in that respect although I understand your comparison in calling them both an adventure. I’d still place it higher than a number of courses that are rated above it though.

Not Sandy Hills however. Pat Ruddy also likes to make his greens difficult to approach via the ground on occasion. But they are all very playable. Far more receptive to the good shot.

All that said, I haven’t seen Cashen since they did the latest round of changes / softening so my views are a little outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Does each selector have to play every course in Ireland every year?

If not how can you make an informed decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

Interesting changes to the top 100 rankings, I agree with others here that Corballis is a bit silly to be on this list. I would rank many courses higher including some that slipped off the top 100 from last year (Royal Tara, Grange Castle, Waterford Castle) or some others (Roganstown, Castleknock, Knightsbrook or even Beaverstown) that I would consider better courses.

I was lucky enough to play Adare this year and can say I think it is deserving of the spot, it is nothing short of an amazing course and experience.

For anyone interested I keep a Google sheet of these rankings with other info like travel time from Dublin (well my house on the north side anyway), greens fees for weekends in summer and links to their web sites. I also have a tab of "others" that I have played in Ireland, and the start of a UK & Ireland combined tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I have to disagree with some of what's been said about Corballis. Granted it's a short course with only one par 5 and loads of par 3's etc. but it is everything that is good about the game. So many courses you can just blast away off the tee without too much consideration but Corballis makes you rely on course management far more than most. You are beside the sea, hitting off tight links fairways into well conditioned greens. Hard not to have a smile on your face playing it. I wish there were more courses like it.

And as for the 15/16th holes I think people are missing a trick. It get's criticised for it's cross over play and wide open expansive fairways but both holes are more strategic than people realise. Take the 15th, a drive down the left hand side gives a better view of the green but you are bringing the road into play off the drive. Your approach shot in from the left hand side now brings the bunker just short of the green into play as well as the bushes to the right of the green. Do you fly the bunker and hope the ball stops before the bushes or do you run the ball in there and flirt with the bunker. A drive down the right hand side brings the slope into play. If you are not long enough the approach is blind but get it on top of the slope and you have a view of the pin with less of the OOB to contend with and the bunker position from this part of the fairway is towards the very left of the green and less of an issue. Also the contours of the fairway from 50 yards out are sublime as are the undulations on the green itself.
    Next is the 16th. Straight away you are faced with a different wind direction to the 15th as you are coming back the way. Once again do you go down the right hand side for a better view in but risk the road or do you go down the left hand side which lengthens the hole and will not reward you with a level lie. You will however have a nicer angle to the green and more of the green to work with. Coming in from the right hand side you are approaching the green from an angle thus minimising the target and the greenside bunkers are more in play too. Also the miss right is more of a factor and anything right of the green is dead. Both very strategic and clever holes when you break them down and really consider the challenge presented.

And for such a short course, how many times do you exceed 36 points? Personally speaking, not that often.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I have to disagree with some of what's been said about Corballis. Granted it's a short course with only one par 5 and loads of par 3's etc. but it is everything that is good about the game. So many courses you can just blast away off the tee without too much consideration but Corballis makes you rely on course management far more than most. You are beside the sea, hitting off tight links fairways into well conditioned greens. Hard not to have a smile on your face playing it. I wish there were more courses like it.

And as for the 15/16th holes I think people are missing a trick.

Interesting analysis of what most people consider two poor holes. Personally hate them. No shape, ludicrously dangerous. Just a field with two holes in it. My only concession would be that the greenside around 16 is really good.

What brings me back to corballis is the links experience. I don't have the funds to play the big ones. I'd play links over parkland any day.

Despite being poor in places and downright dangerous in others, I would join it if I lived in Dublin. Living in the midlands limits my links golf for obvious reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

ThunderCat wrote: »
    You are beside the sea, hitting off tight links fairways into well conditioned greens.

I do like Corballis and have been playing it since I was a teenager. It’s got 4 holes that you could put on any links course and they would not be out of place.

Not sure I can agree on condition. I would think that in my own experience they are the poorest links greens I’ve ever played. Ally might be able to confirm but are they even fescue ?

Back to the OP, I am torn weither it merits it position, I’m gonna say yes but purely from a nostalgic point of view

The thread has spent an awful lot of time talking about a course lucky to be ranked at 90.

I suspect Corballis is only there because it provides an affordable links golf experience. That's grand but I think you need more than that - and a handful of good holes - to qualify for the best 100.

Be interested to hear which course that doesn’t make the hundred each of you thinks should be there? And why?

I’m sure there’s a few I haven’t seen that I should make an effort to see in future.

Be interested to hear which course that doesn’t make the hundred each of you thinks should be there? And why?

I’m sure there’s a few I haven’t seen that I should make an effort to see in future.

You seem to prefer old courses.
    Have you played Portarlington?
    Apart from the 18th hole, terribly designed crossing 3 other holes, it is a fabulous course.

Seve OB wrote: »
    You seem to prefer old courses.
    Have you played Portarlington?
    Apart from the 18th hole, terribly designed crossing 3 other holes, it is a fabulous course.

I liked Portarlington. Some nice land and not too much superfluous mounding. Thought it could do with a little tree clearing. Been a number of years so must try and make a return visit.

I have played 27 courses off the 2019 list, so I can only remark on those I have played. I am working on playing as many of the "top 100" as I can, though that is a bit of a moving target. I love playing new courses!

The ones I personally think should be on the list are some of the ones i mentioned earlier: Royal Tara, Grange Castle, Waterford Castle, Roganstown, Castleknock, Knightsbrook or even Beaverstown. But to be honest these would squeak into the the bottom half of the 50.

There are some surprises on the list to me. Obviously everyone has remarked on Corballis, I am firmly in the "not a top 100" camp. Other rankings I disagree with would be:

Headfort (new) - Underrated, great course.

St. Margaret's - Underrated in my opinion, the rework has gone a long way. Still needs more work but its a good round with a great finishing hole.

Tulfarris - Well deserving of the rise, I think it can push up further.

Carlow - Was in terrible condition when I played it last summer/fall. Really surprised at its ranking, I see the bones, but for me it was a shocker of a disappointment.

Druid's Glen - Has fallen in the ranking, based on my experience it might just continue to fall. It was not a top 50 course when i played it, though there were a few excellent holes on the back 9.

Concra Wood - Cabbage is how I would describe anything off the fairway. Combine that with some silly elevation changes and it's a pretty uneven course. Food was top notch though, the restaurant was more popular than the golf from what I could see.

Galgorm - I was confused after playing this course. Perfectly fine but totally forgettable.

Royal Tara - Sorry to see this course drop out of the top 100, I found my round here to be really enjoyable and look forward to coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

One of the questions that should be answered is why Old Head is at 31 and Fota is three places ahead of it at 28.

Is there anyone here that would take a game at Fota over one at Old Head?

Or even Royal Dublin, Killeen Castle or Slieve Russell? Which are all ahead of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Lisburn never makes these lists.

It’s a fine golf course and genuinely memorable, and always in top condition.

In contrast, Galgorm is one of the most forgettable golf courses I’ve ever played. It is bland from top to bottom.

One of the questions that should be answered is why Old Head is at 31 and Fota is three places ahead of it at 28.

Or even Royal Dublin, Killeen Castle or Slieve Russell? Which are all ahead of it.

Have not played Old Head, and it's not really high on my list. Knocks on it I have heard:

- Very Expensive
    - Trades on the scenery, but the golf is bland
    - No connection to the community, no opens etc, just built for foreign golfers to spend big $$$

I have played Killeen Castle and Slieve Russell and they are both excellent courses. I would give the nod to Slieve, its a more interesting and varied layout. Killeen plays like an Jack Nicklaus course through and through, two fairway bunkers left and right on every hole right about where your ball might land driving.

Royal Dublin is a bit of mystery to me, would love to hear from those who have played it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Royal Dublin is a bit of mystery to me, would love to hear from those who have played it.

I've played Royal Dublin a couple of times albeit 3 or so years ago. It's a good course on flat links ground. I recall the greens being very difficult to read but overall not a striking, memorable course.
    I remember the clubhouse more than the course. It's real old school and steeped in tradition with lots of trophies.
    It's been a long time since I played St Anne's which is right next to it on Bull Island. Both are unsheltered and very difficult in even moderate wind.
    At 20th in the list, I think Royal Dublin is flattered. Is it 52 places better than St Anne's?

I think its a lot better and its an interesting comparison - being on identical land. It shows exactly how investment and maintenance pay off.

RD is a better design, but is also in much better condition and has no weak holes. St Annes is a long way behind. I played both earlier this month and there was no comparison.

St Annes is OK and a convenient links close to Dublin but is overpriced in my opinion. Royal Dublin is a world class links.

That said, Royal Dublin needs to get over itself - its a social disaster.

I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Rikand wrote:
    And how much money did Fota, Slieve Russell, Killeen and RCD spend on advertising with Irish Golfer over the past 12 months

Absolutely and that's what it's all about.

TCM wrote:
    I hope it isn't but any list is going to be subjective.

I'm still curious to know how the scoring is done. Is it based on optimum conditions or all year round playability? Is there a price/value calculation? Is it just the course or are clubhouse/sociability factors included?

First Up wrote: »
    I hope it isn't but any list is going to be subjective.

I'm still curious to know how the scoring is done. Is it based on optimum conditions or all year round playability? Is there a price/value calculation? Is it just the course or are clubhouse/sociability factors included?

In fairness it is probably a difficult and thankless job. You can only judge a golf course on the day you are there. Weather probably influences you (warm and sunny in preceding days probably improve course condition), how you played on the day, how your meal was etc...

People will always disagree.

Feeling that prestige of clubs history can foggy views as well.

TCM wrote: »

Ehh, you might be able to by some spots but how much lipstick can you put on a pig?

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote:
    In fairness it is probably a difficult and thankless job. You can only judge a golf course on the day you are there. Weather probably influences you (warm and sunny in preceding days probably improve course condition), how you played on the day, how your meal was etc...

Which is why the assessments need to be as broad and wide as possible. It will never be perfect but the more factors the better.

thewobbler wrote: »
    Lisburn never makes these lists.

It’s a fine golf course and genuinely memorable, and always in top condition.

In contrast, Galgorm is one of the most forgettable golf courses I’ve ever played. It is bland from top to bottom.

There was a lot of discussion about Lisburn and it was very close to making it. It is definitely one course I need to see that I haven’t yet. It comes with some good pedigree.

Happy New Year all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Interesting thread - always is and people are incredibly passionate about our Irish Courses. A great situation when people can list plenty of course not even in the top 100.

Even people with the most impressive of golf knowledge and experience - will totally disagree on a course. Could be 8 of you back in the clubhouse delighted with your day thinking course is outstanding. And a fairly respected golfer will go - don't rate that course at all.

I've played 60 of them - would have expected to have played more at this stage. But have concentrated on the Links and had a few things on away from golf last few years.

I prefer Links golf - but Ireland has now become a country of a deeper quality and style of golf. Great Parkland courses and the more modern American style courses have added to our mix. There are also courses that would not get a look in - but are interesting and have their own style. Likes or Portarlinghton , Wicklow, Bearna, The Heath, Clonmel. I'm not saying these course should be in the list, but you can play golf anywhere in Ireland and at a good level. Every course will have a great hole.

We have had this out here before - but the top course are becoming increasingly too expensive and inaccessible. If your there in the summer - they don't really want you there in some places. A tourist with a caddy is what they want - and 6 hour round here we go.

I secretly love the debate on Corballis and it getting in - I've played the place well over 200 times - more I'd say , but I don't consider it a full golf course. I use it to practice. I love the course , the manners it puts on you off the tee, the short game tests. But so many of the holes are comically unplayable - even If I have learned a way to cheat them. 2 - 7 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 17.
    Anyway - I love running around the place in 2 hours or so , it was cheap , it was at times in good and terrible condition. But can be outrageously slow too and has gone too expensive (for what is and was before).

Anyway , we will all see things different and I admire that the guys have put a great effort into making it more exact with the scoring criteria.

Me personally - I never understood the heights Portmarnock got in these lists. It ahead of RCD , is crazy in my eyes. I'd have it outside the top 20.

Can't see how Co Louth is so high (I do love the course) - but ahead of The Island , Enniscrone, Ballybunion. I can't see it.

Tralee has an outstanding back nine - but I couldn't believe how poor the front 9 was , not to mention the rip off price and all the Kerry tourist crap would turn your stomach. The front feels like a fake links , in peoples back gardens etc.

I like Royal County Dublin as a course - would go down and play it once a year. But I liked how it was put above, as a place it is a social disaster :D.
    The place only has Senior Opens only - says it all.
    As for Portmarnock - not sure it is a golf club at all - I'm from about 3 miles from it and have never met a member - think it is part of a secret society.

Anyway - good thread.

I'm looking forward to playing a few new ones in 2019 - and a few more not even on the list and never will be.

I had the opportunity to play The Island today, and I was not disappointed! What a great proper links course. My only disappointment on the day was finishing 18, I wanted it to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

I had the opportunity to play The Island today, and I was not disappointed! What a great proper links course. My only disappointment on the day was finishing 18, I wanted it to keep going.
    Yea its a gem, Corballis on stromba:D. I love the Island and Royal Dublin having got to play them several times in the Fruit Traders golf Society, i could never make up my mind which was better both Gems, if a bit high brow.

Yea its a gem, Corballis on stromba:D. I love the Island and Royal Dublin having got to play them several times in the Fruit Traders golf Society, i could never make up my mind which was better both Gems, if a bit high brow.

Apparently I need to join the Fruit Traders golf Society! I don't know much about fruit but if you are playing those courses regularly count me in!

No seriously, how do i join? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Apparently I need to join the Fruit Traders golf Society! I don't know much about fruit but if you are playing those courses regularly count me in!

No seriously, how do i join? :P
    not even sure if its still gong tbh have not been a member since the early 2000,s as not working in that industry any more and did not play golf for about 10 years around then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

As for Portmarnock - not sure it is a golf club at all - I'm from about 3 miles from it and have never met a member - think it is part of a secret society.

:D I know what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Couple of questions for Kevin & Ally:

When you are going to play a course do they know you are coming?

Surely it would be better to arrive, pay and use the facilities just as a normal customer would have to.

Have you ever been offered freebies from a course you are judging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Couple of questions for Kevin & Ally:

When you are going to play a course do they know you are coming?

Surely it would be better to arrive, pay and use the facilities just as a normal customer would have to.

Have you ever been offered freebies from a course you are judging?

Whilst I get your point , is it not reasonable in a process of that scale , that you get to play a free round ?

I've been lucky to get a few invites and reduced green fee rates . But equally I've gone out and paid full rate in Tralee , RCD , Co. Louth and a good few others.

I'd agree the psychology of a free round versus a full rate is different.

But if they are all free , this removes that?

I know Kevin's material fairly well and he has never sent me wrong on quality and value for money front.

I know an interesting side is value for money , but with the economy picking up again and a new sort of higher level elite golf coming in , Trump , Jp McManus style.

Some of the courses may as well be on Mars.
    I think this has become an increasing factor in Ireland.

Sorry I just realised that I wasn't to answer that question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Mentioned to you before fix that I used to caddy there as a young lad in the 90's around the time of their centenary. Knew the place like the back of my hand. Took care of it, replacing divots & pitchmarks. Now I'm a real golfer I'd love to see it again and I contacted them a few years ago to try get us out for a reasonable winter rate for a round of our winter matchplay. The price quoted made my eyes water :(

It's sad that a significant area of the peninsula with some of the best golfing land in the country feels so closed off.

portm.jpg

They were very reluctant to change when I was there. EG they didn't have any sprinkler system for the fairways, badly needed in summer. It's in place maybe 15-20 years now but they were well behind other courses in the country on this and preferred to keep their head in the sand.

Their current head-in-sand policies have done a great job in ensuring that iconic images of the past such as Seve covered in the sand coming back into his face won't have a modern equivalent by the likes of Rahm and others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement