Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quirky location discount

• 21-12-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly odd question but Just trying to get an idea what kind of discount you would need to apply to a house which is a km from a secondary road and what is effectively a cul de sac albeit with a perfectly tarred road, add to that, a neighbours farmyard is less than 70 metres from the back garden, the owner of the farmyard does not have access past house as they access from another road, house and farm were originally one property twenty years ago, farm yard is blinded off by high boundary hedge but you can hear tractors etc now and again.

2200 Square foot five bed bungalow built in 1981 and 23 km from Galway city.

Would a 20% discount sound right?

Some people like isolation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why would you apply a discount to it?

Perhaps rather than giving a discount to appeal to the masses, appeal to those who are looking for a house away the hustle and bustle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the_syco wrote: »
    Why would you apply a discount to it?

Perhaps rather than giving a discount to appeal to the masses, appeal to those who are looking for a house away the hustle and bustle.

I'm of course hoping to maximise my sale effort but I naturally presumed that most would not want to be nearly a km from their neighbours, you cannot see cars go by or talk across the fence to your neighbour.

Add to that, when you approach the house, you can see clearly the farmers hay shed so I imagined most would view this as imposing.

House is very nice otherwise, we bought it in 2012 for 140 k and have spent about 25 k on it, most 2000 square feet five bed bungalows within the" Galway City commuter belt" are around the 250 k mark so we had 220 k as a blue sky price in mind?

Acre of ground around the house with trees dotted around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm of course hoping to maximise my sale effort but I naturally presumed that most would not want to be nearly a km from their neighbours, you cannot see cars go by or talk across the fence to your neighbour.

Sounds like heaven for a lot of people, myself included. I wouldn't be discounting anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

Get a few agents in to give you an estimated sale price of what they expected they could get for it on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Add 20% maybe!

• Advertisement

Sounds like heaven for a lot of people, myself included. I wouldn't be discounting anything!

Know what you are saying but this is a generic 1970,s style bungalow, not an old farmhouse or cottage so not sure it's marketable as an idyllic rural retreat.
    We plan to put on the market in May of next year but hope to sell without auctioneer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You can sell without agent but still get agents to put a value on it.

You can sell without agent but still get agents to put a value on it.

Was valued at 220k nearly two years ago but the agent himself commented on the close proximity to the neighbouring farm yard so I presumed he thought a discount would be needed? , in winter, you can hear cattle roaring in the sheds on occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was valued at 220k nearly two years ago but the agent himself commented on the close proximity to the neighbouring farm yard so I presumed he thought a discount would be needed? , in winter, you can hear cattle roaring in the sheds on occasion
    That would be a positive and not a negative for some. Myself included!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Slightly odd question but Just trying to get an idea what kind of discount you would need to apply to a house which is a km from a secondary road and what is effectively a cul de sac albeit with a perfectly tarred road, add to that, a neighbours farmyard is less than 70 metres from the back garden, the owner of the farmyard does not have access past house as they access from another road, house and farm were originally one property twenty years ago, farm yard is blinded off by high boundary hedge but you can hear tractors etc now and again.

2200 Square foot five bed bungalow built in 1981 and 23 km from Galway city.

Would a 20% discount sound right?

Some people like isolation?

Discount to what? What's your reference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I think you might be better off employing an estate agent.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Discount to what? What's your reference?

Compared to other large bungalows in Galway which are about 25 minutes from Galway city

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- its hard to put a pricetag on the inconvenience and the close proximity to cattle sheds etc- in some areas such a property is essentially worthless- it really depends on whether people are willing to overlook the eccentricities associated with the property. I would seriously suggest that you go with an estate agent rather than trying to sell it yourself- if it was a straightforward property- in a good location with lots of prospective purchasers- I'd say go ahead sell it yourself- but its not. Also- your idea of 25 minutes to Galway city- might work sometimes- or not at others- I'm more than familiar with some of the appalling traffic on the outskirts of Galway- you can't assume that the purchaser is going to want to stay on your side of Galway- he/she may very well work elsewhere.

Its not even really fair to try and compare it to similarly sized bungalows in the area- the key for any property is location- and while you may have a cohort of people suggesting its an interesting location here on this thread- in my mind- I wouldn't even bother going to look at it- unless you were reeling me in with a significant discount to comparable properties in the immediate vicinity. I don't think I'm being unfair. The nail in the coffin for the property for me- is the close vicinity of the animal sheds- honestly- I can buy a farmhouse anywhere- for less than you're suggesting- if I want to have cows lowing at me- I have zero interest in listening to cattle bellowing closeby...........

Perhaps you may find someone who buys into the lifestyle you're suggesting- it 100% definitely is not for me.

Honestly- its hard to put a pricetag on the inconvenience and the close proximity to cattle sheds etc- in some areas such a property is essentially worthless- it really depends on whether people are willing to overlook the eccentricities associated with the property. I would seriously suggest that you go with an estate agent rather than trying to sell it yourself- if it was a straightforward property- in a good location with lots of prospective purchasers- I'd say go ahead sell it yourself- but its not. Also- your idea of 25 minutes to Galway city- might work sometimes- or not at others- I'm more than familiar with some of the appalling traffic on the outskirts of Galway- you can't assume that the purchaser is going to want to stay on your side of Galway- he/she may very well work elsewhere.

Its not even really fair to try and compare it to similarly sized bungalows in the area- the key for any property is location- and while you may have a cohort of people suggesting its an interesting location here on this thread- in my mind- I wouldn't even bother going to look at it- unless you were reeling me in with a significant discount to comparable properties in the immediate vicinity. I don't think I'm being unfair. The nail in the coffin for the property for me- is the close vicinity of the animal sheds- honestly- I can buy a farmhouse anywhere- for less than you're suggesting- if I want to have cows lowing at me- I have zero interest in listening to cattle bellowing closeby...........

Perhaps you may find someone who buys into the lifestyle you're suggesting- it 100% definitely is not for me.

I think you are closest to the reality here, the setting is ecentric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A discount would imply that your not charging what would other wise be considered full price .The actual situation is the house has a value as is, if it were without all these issues as described it would be another price . The difference between the two is not a discount just the market price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My fear of living next to a dairy farm would be it changing to a poultry farm.

Don't get me wrong, I love chickens, just not 1.2 million of them, which is the average size of an Irish poultry farm according to the CSO.

Edit: oh, and I once almost drowned in a slurry pit. That was bad.

Lumen wrote: »
    My fear of living next to a dairy farm would be it changing to a poultry farm.

Don't get me wrong, I love chickens, just not 1.2 million of them, which is the average size of an Irish poultry farm according to the CSO.

Edit: oh, and I once almost drowned in a slurry pit. That was bad.

A tiny percentage of farms in Ireland are poultry units and the vast majority are in counties cavan and especially monaghan.

The nearby farm isn't a dairy farm anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Would you not just pay an estate agent to come and value your house. You don’t have to list the house with them, but really it sounds like you need to have someone in the know come and do a valuation, taking all the variables into account.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Would you not just pay an estate agent to come and value your house. You don’t have to list the house with them, but really it sounds like you need to have someone in the know come and do a valuation, taking all the variables into account.

In all liklihood I will, I just thought I would look for opinions about the property as its useful to hear opinions from people with no agenda.

Auctioneers don't like working hard so are likely to low ball in order to be rid off quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Discount? People would pay extra for that!! :D
    Add to that, when you approach the house, you can see clearly the farmers hay shed so I imagined most would view this as imposing.

Ah now, that won't bother people at all. This isn't the Yorkshire Dales. Rural Ireland you expect to meet farmers and see their properties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If he valued it at 220, then that’s the price he thought it could sell for.

Sounds like you need an agent.

ted1 wrote: »
    If he valued it at 220, then that’s the price he thought it could sell for.

Sounds like you need an agent.

Valuing low is a way of selling quick, undesirable location demands more graft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Valuing low is a way of selling quick, undesirable location demands more graft

What I’m saying is that any discount would have been applied before he gave you a price.

Tbh valuing low mightn’t always work,some people will skim over it as they think somethings wrong with it.

ted1 wrote: »
    Tbh valuing low mightn’t always work,some people will skim over it as they think somethings wrong with it.

There is something wrong with it.........
    Even farmers keep their cattle away from the house for a reason...........
    Stay there for a couple of days when the cattle are in- and see if you still think there is nothing wrong with it.

There is something wrong with it.........
    Even farmers keep their cattle away from the house for a reason...........
    Stay there for a couple of days when the cattle are in- and see if you still think there is nothing wrong with it.

You don't literally stare into a cow shed when you look out a window or even walk out the back door, a field surrounds the house and we own it, there is a leylandi hedge dividing our property from the farm, distance from house itself to sheds is roughly seventy metres, you can see the side of the sheds when travelling up the driveway but the farmer has no access from our side

Original owner of both properties built the yard too close to the house

Original owner of both properties built the yard too close to the house

Exactly.

What often happens in a situation like this is the house is abandoned in favour of working the farm instead- and the farmer lives elsewhere. I can show you pictures of houses like this- some of which were reasonably recently abandoned- others in the more distant past- some of which the intention was to sell them on as residential properties- others of which were converted into additional animal housing (including an elaborate calving shed- and in another case an ultramodern milking parlour).

It happened more often that people like to admit in the past- and is a bitch to try and resolve- more often than not if the farmer himself does not live in the property- it becomes derelict- as its nigh impossible to sell it on.

I am also aware of one ongoing legal case (in Sligo) of an assertion that the seller did not disclose the extent of the noise pollution from the adjacent farming enterprise when selling a property (its just outside Tubercurry- and has caused quite a bit of bitterness in the area- it was a blow-in from Dublin who bought the cutprice property and is now suing the previous owner).

Its a well known issue in the farming community.

Exactly.

What often happens in a situation like this is the house is abandoned in favour of working the farm instead- and the farmer lives elsewhere. I can show you pictures of houses like this- some of which were reasonably recently abandoned- others in the more distant past- some of which the intention was to sell them on as residential properties- others of which were converted into additional animal housing (including an elaborate calving shed- and in another case an ultramodern milking parlour).

It happened more often that people like to admit in the past- and is a bitch to try and resolve- more often than not if the farmer himself does not live in the property- it becomes derelict- as its nigh impossible to sell it on.

I am also aware of one ongoing legal case (in Sligo) of an assertion that the seller did not disclose the extent of the noise pollution from the adjacent farming enterprise when selling a property (its just outside Tubercurry- and has caused quite a bit of bitterness in the area- it was a blow-in from Dublin who bought the cutprice property and is now suing the previous owner).

Its a well known issue in the farming community.

Truth be told I've heard the cattle roaring about a dozen times in the past year, I do hear the farmers tractor on a regular basis but its only for twenty minutes max maybe three times per week

Truth be told I've heard the cattle roaring about a dozen times in the past year, I do hear the farmers tractor on a regular basis but its only for twenty minutes max maybe three times per week

The property would never get planning permission on the basis of the proximity of the working environment- other than as a residence for the farmer. Hell, you wouldn't be allowed plant a windbreak in the proximity you've just described.

The farmer got lucky offloading the property as a separate unit- period.

I would seriously advise you employ the services of a local estate agent and don't try to handle the sale yourself. At very least- it will insulate you from any future grievance that a future purchaser may have regarding the property- particularly if their due dilligence happens to correspond with the farmer not having the cattle housed- or not being engaged in work with the tractor etc.

Just to clarify- this is the actual farm yard- with machinery etc- and animals housed (at least part of the year)?

Advertisement