Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer dictating where I can park

Options
  • 21-12-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a retail store on a main street in a medium sized town. Parking on the street is free, there are no restrictions. I typically park in whatever spot is available close to my place of work at the start of each day.

Recently my employer has started to ask me to move my car if it is parked close to the business premises.

I'm not too keen on this as although I'm more than happy to follow instructions my employer has for me pertaining to work, I feel that where I park is completely separate to my job. I pay my taxes and am as entitled as any other person to park wherever I see fit as long as I'm within the confines of the law.

I understand why my employer wants me to park elsewhere - it makes it easier for customers to find parking near the store and purchase from us. There was an initiative set out by the local chamber of commerce within the town promoting this policy among the business leaders of the town and recommending that staff of businesses park in the local car park. I don't like parking there as I feel it is very unsafe.

I have moved my car on a number of occasions in the past week at the request of my employer but I'm not happy to do this anymore and want some advice on how to handle the situation. Is this something that my employer can require me to do? (no mention of it in contract)

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its not something that they can legally force you to do but you could be on the unofficial black list if you insist on being awkward about this issue. Try and see it from their point of view- they want more customers and more profit. Even one extra car space could make the difference between a customer coming in and dropping some cash or driving on because they couldn't be bothered looking for parking.

I would box clever on this one and think long term, do you really want to be seen as a "difficult" employee who insists on getting their own way when the needs of the company could be better served if you just parked a bit away and walked the rest. I know you shouldn't have to but it would be much more advisable to be seen as obliging and polite on this issue and just grit your teeth and say "Oh no problem, ill park further away, that way more customers can come in" rather than being stubborn about an issue that might make you look unreasonable. Its the reality of work sometimes. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If your employer doesn’t get enough customers they won’t be able to employer assistants (ie- YOU!) it’s in your interest to get as many customers as possible into the premises so if you can do this small thing to help your employer you should do it. If you feel unsafe in the car park could your colleague or employer walk you to your car after work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Basically you are preventing the customers of the business you are working for from accessing that parking space.

A shopping parking space is on average 14 times a day. By leaving your car there, you are pushing those customers away. They are the people responsible for your wages being paid, but you don't seem to want to know.

I also note your "I pay my taxes" attitude. That stinks. As you are a retail worker the chances are you are paid less than 25k. At that level you will pay about €1500 in tax. Your employer will pay about the same in employer prsi. They will also be paying huge commercial rates which is what pays for local roads and parking.

So it not your "taxes". It's your employers rates that pay for town parking, so maybe find another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Try to come to an agreement with your employer that they cover any costs that may arise from you parking in the other car park.

Employers love pushing the limits of what they can get for nothing from employees, if they want you to move they need offer you reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Your employee probably had to pay a "contribution" to the Council for parking spaces "taken up" by employees.
    Typically this happens at the planning permission stage as the Council think that by employing people with cars, the owner is hindering shoppers from using the town

So your employer probably thinks let them park away from the shop, I've paid for 6 spaces, by God I'm going to get my moneys worth in customets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think you should do what your employer has asked you to do.

Making a big deal about this will just make you appear unreasonable and will damage your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

. local Chamber of Commerce recommending that staff of businesses park in the local car park. I don't like parking there as I feel it is very unsafe.

Have you informed your employer or the local C of C of your feelings? Do other employees share your concerns?

Remember - if you don't raise them, then how will others know that there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭enricoh

Car park is unsafe for you In the dark or for your car? Id ask boss to push council for more lighting etc. Buy a steering wheel lock.

Doesn't look good disobeying boss n if business slows down you n the car could be first to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

1 parking spot blocked for a day in front of the premises, or close to it, might cause a drop in daily customer count.

Not a given, but since your job depends on that I would just park further away.

There is no legal obligation on you to do so, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭easygoing1982

Dillosk412 wrote: »

I also note your "I pay my taxes" attitude. That stinks.

So it not your "taxes". It's your employers rates that pay for town parking, so maybe find another job.

I think you'll find it's the motor tax that I believe the OP may have been referring to that pays towards the town parking also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You don't feel safe in the car park so that's not good

Raise it with your employer and they can raise it with the council. Them being ratepayers n'all

Extra lighting wouldn't be a huge job for the council though it will take a bit of time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

I think you'll find it's the motor tax that I believe the OP may have been referring to that pays towards the town parking also.

It doesn't. That goes into central taxation. Commercial rates pay for town expenses.

A well located store of 300sqm in a small town would have rates of about €10,000-€15,000 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I also note your "I pay my taxes" attitude. That stinks.

If that's the case, the OP is way off target.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its not something that they can legally force you to do but you could be on the unofficial black list if you insist on being awkward about this issue. Try and see it from their point of view- they want more customers and more profit. Even one extra car space could make the difference between a customer coming in and dropping some cash or driving on because they couldn't be bothered looking for parking.

I would box clever on this one and think long term, do you really want to be seen as a "difficult" employee who insists on getting their own way when the needs of the company could be better served if you just parked a bit away and walked the rest. I know you shouldn't have to but it would be much more advisable to be seen as obliging and polite on this issue and just grit your teeth and say "Oh no problem, ill park further away, that way more customers can come in" rather than being stubborn about an issue that might make you look unreasonable. Its the reality of work sometimes. Good luck!

I'd be wary of the above OP.

You have been accommodating rather than "difficult".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, towns all over Ireland are emptying. Councils have brought in expensive car parking in towns that has pushed people to start shopping in out of town centres. You should be happy that your town council is being progressive and helping to safeguard your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Recently my employer has started to ask me to move my car if it is parked close to the business premises.
    There was an initiative set out by the local chamber of commerce within the town promoting this policy among the business leaders of the town and recommending that staff of businesses park in the local car park. I don't like parking there as I feel it is very unsafe.
    Why do you feel that the local car park is unsafe, and where do other workers park? I'd say that if all workers parked their cars like yourself, all businesses would experience a drop in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Basically you are preventing the customers of the business you are working for from accessing that parking space.

A shopping parking space is on average 14 times a day. By leaving your car there, you are pushing those customers away. They are the people responsible for your wages being paid, but you don't seem to want to know.

I also note your "I pay my taxes" attitude. That stinks. As you are a retail worker the chances are you are paid less than 25k. At that level you will pay about €1500 in tax. Your employer will pay about the same in employer prsi. They will also be paying huge commercial rates which is what pays for local roads and parking.

Are you suggesting that OP should pay more tax than he is legally obliged to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is your employer and workers from other shops parking elsewhere? If they in the main are then you probably should although no harm raising issues with employer regards your safety concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Leinsterfan18

Legally, I think you can park where you want.

For an easier life, park elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

salmocab wrote: »
    Is your employer and workers from other shops parking elsewhere? If they in the main are then you probably should although no harm raising issues with employer regards your safety concerns.

Good suggestion, if there is a general unwritten policy amongst other workers parking elsewhere you should follow that even though you are not obliged to do so, consider it as "keeping the peace" so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Park outside the competition! Job done.

There was a guy in one of the places I worked for that calculated it would cost him 200 euro in petrol a year to park behind the building rather than in front of it.
    He was not reimbursed for his expenses. That building was not that big, it was big deal for him, though.

While the op is allowed to park where he wants it is worth reminding the others that if it is a company premises, not a public road, they can tell you to f*** off, unless parking spot is in the contract ;)

Ask any Kildare Village and other places like that where their employees park. Usually far away from the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

It doesn't. That goes into central taxation. Commercial rates pay for town expenses.

A well located store of 300sqm in a small town would have rates of about €10,000-€15,000 per year.

But that is not what OP said is it?
    I pay my taxes and am as entitled as any other person to park wherever I see fit as long as I'm within the confines of the law.

They just said they're entitled to park - nothing else

micks wrote: »
    But that is not what OP said is it?

They just said they're entitled to park - nothing else

To be fair the op has said he/she paid the taxes and is entitled to this or that... And they are, but

While it's true, the retail is a bitch and you really want the shop you own or work at to do well. Getting as many people in as it is possible is one of the reasons the employee is asked to not to block parking spot nearby for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I work in a retail store on a main street in a medium sized town. Parking on the street is free, there are no restrictions. I typically park in whatever spot is available close to my place of work at the start of each day.

I'm not too keen on this as although I'm more than happy to follow instructions my employer has for me pertaining to work, I feel that where I park is completely separate to my job. I pay my taxes and am as entitled as any other person to park wherever I see fit as long as I'm within the confines of the law.

I understand why my employer wants me to park elsewhere - it makes it easier for customers to find parking near the store and purchase from us. There was an initiative set out by the local chamber of commerce within the town promoting this policy among the business leaders of the town and recommending that staff of businesses park in the local car park. I don't like parking there as I feel it is very unsafe.

I have moved my car on a number of occasions in the past week at the request of my employer but I'm not happy to do this anymore and want some advice on how to handle the situation. Is this something that my employer can require me to do? (no mention of it in contract)

Thanks for your advice.

It obviously bothers you so if as suggested:
    Stanford wrote: »
    Good suggestion, if there is a general unwritten policy amongst other workers parking elsewhere you should follow that even though you are not obliged to do so, consider it as "keeping the peace" so to speak
    salmocab wrote: »

Then maybe move on - there's no shortage of work

Do you like the job? are there other things that bother you?
    Its a trivial enough matter to come onto boards about? is it the straw.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

noodler wrote: »
    I'd be wary of the above OP.

You have been accommodating rather than "difficult".

They would possibly be seen as difficult if they refuse to move their car in future when this issue comes up again, which is what the OP was asking for advise on i.e the long term solution to being asked to move the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you are parking in a public space with no price restrictions or privileges for employee parking how on earth does the employer know you are parking where you are parking???

I realise that off street private parking can imply that an employer may ask you to register your car registration with the relevant security working on a private site but I did not know if such obligations exist on a public street.

Challenge you boss the next time the subject is raised.

How do you know it is my car?

Deny it is your car.

The boss cannot get registration details from the guards or any other local authority by GDPR.

Claim that your brother/aunt/ uncle etc may have driven in and parked in a public space as is their right.

For heaven sake be careful to drive off at end of work without any nosy parker spotting you and reporting you to the boss........

doolox wrote: »
    If you are parking in a public space with no price restrictions or privileges for employee parking how on earth does the employer know you are parking where you are parking???

I realise that off street private parking can imply that an employer may ask you to register your car registration with the relevant security working on a private site but I did not know if such obligations exist on a public street.

Deny it is your car.

The boss cannot get registration details from the guards or any other local authority by GDPR.

Claim that your brother/aunt/ uncle etc may have driven in and parked in a public space as is their right.

For heaven sake be careful to drive off at end of work without any nosy parker spotting you and reporting you to the boss........

Are you for real???

I mean your post???

No responsible employee parks outside the shop they work in. They leave these spaces for customers. After all, without customers, they’re out of a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

doolox wrote: »

I'm guessing the OP took the piss one day, and parked so close to the shop, that their employer called them up on it.

Advertisement