Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer dictating where I can park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

doolox wrote: »
    If you are parking in a public space with no price restrictions or privileges for employee parking how on earth does the employer know you are parking where you are parking???

I realise that off street private parking can imply that an employer may ask you to register your car registration with the relevant security working on a private site but I did not know if such obligations exist on a public street.

Challenge you boss the next time the subject is raised.

How do you know it is my car?

Deny it is your car.

The boss cannot get registration details from the guards or any other local authority by GDPR.

Claim that your brother/aunt/ uncle etc may have driven in and parked in a public space as is their right.

For heaven sake be careful to drive off at end of work without any nosy parker spotting you and reporting you to the boss........

It's not rocket science to know what car the OP is driving. This obviously is a small town as the on street parking is free. In small towns we generally know what car everyone else drives so if it is being left in the same spot each day the employer would cop that easily without having to go all Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.
    I have observed this problem in my own town. Plenty of free spaces in public car parks but some employees hog the free spaces outside businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Nobody has answered my question. How does the boss know that the employee own his car???? You do not give out the information to any boss unless you are parking on private land or in a carpark owned by the boss.

If the parking is public then it is none of the bosses business who parks where or who owns what car parked in a public space although there are many who would like to imagine they own all the spaces near their shop or in close proximity to their shop.

The wise thing is not to let your boss know you own a particular car. It is none of his business what car you own but I do realise that it easy to find out in a small town. Any questions relating to divulging information regarding car ownership or how you get to work should be met with stony silence, none of their business.

What you really need to do is swap cars with a family member or partner on a random basis and park right outside the shop and see what happens. Dont be seen entering or leaving the car......

Nobody has answered my question. How does the boss know that the employee own his car???? You do not give out the information to any boss unless you are parking on private land or in a carpark owned by the boss.

If the parking is public then it is none of the bosses business who parks where or who owns what car parked in a public space although there are many who would like to imagine they own all the spaces near their shop or in close proximity to their shop.

The wise thing is not to let your boss know you own a particular car. It is none of his business what car you own but I do realise that it easy to find out in a small town. Any questions relating to divulging information regarding car ownership or how you get to work should be met with stony silence, none of their business.

What you really need to do is swap cars with a family member or partner on a random basis and park right outside the shop and see what happens. Dont be seen entering or leaving the car......

In a small town, everyone knows who drives what. Shop staff usually have enough cop on not to hog parking spaces outside businesses.

...and drive all his stock into town on different days and confuse the hell out of the boss....

Different day different car.

Thats not my car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

wonski wrote: »
    There was a guy in one of the places I worked for that calculated it would cost him 200 euro in petrol a year to park behind the building rather than in front of it.
    He was not reimbursed for his expenses. That building was not that big, it was big deal for him, though..

Must have been a hummer! 😂

Let's say it was a huge building and it was an extra 300 metres.

That's 1,5km in a week.

Assume 6 weeks holiday / bank holiday combined, gives 46 weeks or a total of 69km
    Even a very bad fuel economy car will take about 5litres for 69km.
    At today's petrol prices that is about €7

I hope he didn't work as an accountant 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

...and drive all his stock into town on different days and confuse the hell out of the boss....

Different day different car.

Thats not my car.

Are you one of those that is not my job/car vigilante :)

Sure, that is not my hand, Gardai :)

I know of no other building or campus that is 1 Km on a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

I know of no other building or campus that is 1 Km on a side.

Maybe has was talking about the Berj Khalifa, driving his V12 Mercedes up and down the building... then he woke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dirtdrifter

SteM wrote: »
    OP, towns all over Ireland are emptying. Councils have brought in expensive car parking in towns that has pushed people to start shopping in out of town centres. You should be happy that your town council is being progressive and helping to safeguard your job.

Some main streets with free parking are clogged all day with teachers/students and employees and the like

The only way to free up space for business is to have a paid system of some sort

Some main streets with free parking are clogged all day with teachers/students and employees and the like

The only way to free up space for business is to have a paid system of some sort

Then the town dies.

People do not want to pay for parking and only use those spaces for times when they actually HAVE to park in town.

They flee the town and go to the free spaces in Lidl, Dunnes or Tesco...If you don’t agree with this I can cite many examples.

The OP sounds like a real pain in the arse, if I have to be honest. Its all about her and no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

NSAman wrote: »
    Then the town dies.

People do not want to pay for parking and only use those spaces for times when they actually HAVE to park in town.

They flee the town and go to the free spaces in Lidl, Dunnes or Tesco...If you don’t agree with this I can cite many examples.
    There's no such thing as 'free parking'. There are costs involved in providing and managing parking, whether on street or in a car park. If there is no charge for parking, then this cost is spread across everybody, including those that don't use the parking facility.

It should really be a planning condition for the out-of-town centres that they are required to charge for parking on a cost recovery basis at least.

Then the town dies.

The OP sounds like a real pain in the arse, if I have to be honest. Its all about her and no one else.

Not necessarily

It depends how it's implemented,for example they could have the first 15 minutes free

Free spaces blocked all day are no use to any business

There's no such thing as 'free parking'. There are costs involved in providing and managing parking, whether on street or in a car park. If there is no charge for parking, then this cost is spread across everybody, including those that don't use the parking facility.

It should really be a planning condition for the out-of-town centres that they are required to charge for parking on a cost recovery basis at least.

But they don’t, hence the town is devoid of parking and the out of town is packed.... case in point NAAS

Not necessarily

It depends how it's implemented,for example they could have the first 15 minutes free

Free spaces blocked all day are no use to any business

But alas they do not do this, as you have to employ wardens who cost money to implement the system, those causing increased costs and needing parking fees to fund same.... vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Accomodating ? Are you for real ? Retail shops are facing a very bleak future with more and more of us buying on-line.
    Chances are the manager has a list of staff to pick from when the time comes to down-size. If I was this car owner and alternatives were not available, I wouldn't be starting a stupid war, placing me top of that list. I would be thinking of changing to a scooter, a bike or even a pair of roller skates !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

It doesn't have to be a paid system. It can be a time limit system. Anyway, my point to the OP was that he/she should be happy there is no system in place that discourages shopping in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Irlandese wrote: »
    Accomodating ? Are you for real ? Retail shops are facing a very bleak future with more and more of us buying on-line.
    Chances are the manager has a list of staff to pick from when the time comes to down-size. If I was this car owner and alternatives were not available, I wouldn't be starting a stupid war, placing me top of that list. I would be thinking of changing to a scooter, a bike or even a pair of roller skates !!

Bit narrow to assume a car parking space would put the OP on top of this "list". Would sales or performance come into it at all?

But alas they do not do this, as you have to employ wardens who cost money to implement the system, those causing increased costs and needing parking fees to fund same.... vicious circle.

Sure ,but a paid parking space is still more useful to a Main Street business than no spaces

Which was my original point

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, what is it about the staff carpark that makes you feel unsafe? Is it that you're afraid the car will be damaged, or that your personal safety is at risk.

I'd suggest talking to your boss about it and trying to come up with a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Nobody has answered my question. How does the boss know that the employee own his car????

I'm assuming the boss doesn't have dementia, so the memory of that one time he saw the employee in his car probably exists in his brain somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

JeffKenna wrote:
    Bit narrow to assume a car parking space would put the OP on top of this "list". Would sales or performance come into it at all?

Honestly if I were the boss and had to ask the same employee to move their car repeatedly I would be getting pretty ticked off at this stage.

Just cop on and move your car OP. Permanently. Your boss is losing business because of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Stanford wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that OP should pay more tax than he is legally obliged to?

.... No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Honestly if I were the boss and had to ask the same employee to move their car repeatedly I would be getting pretty ticked off at this stage.

Just cop on and move your car OP. Permanently. Your boss is losing business because of you.

Does the boss not have a responsibility for the safety of their employees? What happens if the OP gets attacked walking to or in this public car park? I'm thinking of my closest town where I could definitely understand if someone didn't want to walk to the public car park by themselves in darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Op it seems whatever about your initial thought you're now just being awkward for the sake of it.
    You've said yourself it's an initiative the chamber of commerce suggested to improve footfall. You say you've moved your car countless times in the last week at the request of your boss ? Why park there when you know you're gonna be asked to move it.

I'm sure If on-street payparking came into effect, the free unsafe car park you speak of would suddenly become the most sought after spot in town for you to park. Just do as he asks and walk the extra few metres. You seem petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CeceP

I honestly can't believe how many people are telling you to just listen to your employer who is completely out of order! It is absolutely none of his business if you park on street parking. You are not HIS property, you are employed to carry out a specific job within a specific timeframe and thats it. So many Irish employers are incredibly bullying compared to other countries and the Irish people seem to just accept it, like we are not worth any better. I would tell my employer that it is my right to park on free street parking and continue to do my job in a professional manner. If he/she decides to mistreat you or fire you as a result of that, then you can take him to court. This issue is about your dignity and self respect and standing up for your rights and hopefully you do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

Op it seems whatever about your initial thought you're now just being awkward for the sake of it.
    You've said yourself it's an initiative the chamber of commerce suggested to improve footfall. You say you've moved your car countless times in the last week at the request of your boss ? Why park there when you know you're gonna be asked to move it.

I'm sure If on-street payparking came into effect, the free unsafe car park you speak of would suddenly become the most sought after spot in town for you to park. Just do as he asks and walk the extra few metres. You seem petty.

The OP has only made one post, so not sure how you come to that conclusion?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Allinall ...why does the op have to have had multiple posts for my opinion to be valid??

Is there not a beginning and an end to their one post?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Jaysus people are getting really pent up one way or another on this.

For me it's simple tbh. If the alternative parking places are charging as opposed to free on-street, then my employer would be told to get lost or pay for my parking.

If both are free then meh, no issues I'd park in the place they requested.
    I'm not paying any extra for the convenience of my employer, who probably only pays minimum wage as is the standard for retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

One of the arguments frequently brought up when there is a proposal to removing parking charges in many towns (often at the request of business owners in the towns) is that the spots would simply be used all day by the business owners and workers, OP appears to be proving them right.

On street parking in towns is limited, much more than in shopping centers.

If shops in towns are to survive it is vital that spaces closest to the shops are reserved for customers (personally I think free parking should be just one or two hours, long enough to do the shopping, short enough to make it too inconvenient to simply move the car every so often.

I was in Denmark last year and observed they have "clocks" on their windscreens, in free parking areas you set your arrival time.

cph-200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was in Denmark last year and observed they have "clocks" on their windscreens, in free parking areas you set your arrival time.

cph-200.jpg

We can’t even put L plates on the right way around, no way these could be operated in Ireland.

Advertisement