Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer dictating where I can park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CeceP

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We can’t even put L plates on the right way around, no way these could be operated in Ireland.

Agreed! This is one of MANY aspects of life that we could learn and copy from the Danes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

That's some attitude to the business that employs you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dirtdrifter

We can't implement the right parking systems here

No joined up thinking from elected officials,all barking with different voices

We don't have the civic responsibility either here like some of these other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

NSAman wrote: »
    But they don’t, hence the town is devoid of parking and the out of town is packed.... case in point NAAS

The original issue of 'free' parking isn't the solution, as the OP proves nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We can't implement the right parking systems here

No joined up thinking from elected officials,all barking with different voices

We don't have the civic responsibility either here like some of these other countries

It's not a huge surprise that elected officials bark with different voices. That's pretty much the nature of democracy, with opposition parties.

If you're definition of 'right parking systems' means 'free parking', it is very likely that the elected officials and the paid staff have a different definition to you of 'right parking' - one that doesn't mean that the entire community pays the price for those who choose to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Some main streets with free parking are clogged all day with teachers/students and employees and the like

The only way to free up space for business is to have a paid system of some sort

No, just limit parking to 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

All other things being equal, they might.
    But the fact that they have had a go at the OP already, indicates things may not be all rosy for our OP on relevant fronts...
    Just noticing things.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I have moved my car on a number of occasions in the past week at the request of my employer ....

How many times do you need to be asked? Once should have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No, just limit parking to 2-3 hours.

Exactly what my local town did. Works a treat.

It is enforced. There is all day parking on a few side streets for the workers.

Really impressed to be honest. Next town over has parking disks and I'd never bother stopping due to them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In our local town employees of shops are asked to use the back carparks and leave street parking for customers as a curtsey to customers. Id say its common enough and a nice thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

_Brian wrote: »
    In our local town employees of shops are asked to use the back carparks and leave street parking for customers as a curtsey to customers. Id say its common enough and a nice thing.

Local town brought in a paid system with 30 minutes free. Had to be done as unfortunately local employees were using the Main Street as an all day car park leaving very little in the way of parking for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I feel like this is not worth fighting over.

I also feel this is a symptom of a larger problem.

Are you unhappy OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

CeceP wrote: »
    Agreed! This is one of MANY aspects of life that we could learn and copy from the Danes!

They have them in the Isle of Man also. Every car gets one. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I feel like this is not worth fighting over.

I also feel this is a symptom of a larger problem.

Are you unhappy OP?

Who cares... move your damned car and stop annoying your employer and many other businesses because she is “entitled” to park there....

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

I love how its the minimum waged worker who is responsible for her corporate overloads customers parking and subsquent profits. You fellas have really done a number on yourselves with your incredibly low expectations for yourself and therefore other wage slaves.

OP, its not your issue. You can park where you like, you do your job for little pay and its not in any way your problem where customers can and can't park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

I love how its the minimum waged worker who is responsible for her corporate overloads customers parking and subsquent profits. You fellas have really done a number on yourselves with your incredibly low expectations for yourself and therefore other wage slaves.

OP, its not your issue. You can park where you like, you do your job for little pay and its not in any way your problem where customers can and can't park.

Where does the OP say they are on minimum wage? Plenty of other staff work in retail stores apart from sales staff. Awful rant, you just read what you wanted to read and based your reply on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Until not enough can find parking and decide it's easier to shop elsewhere and the business closes?

Awful rant? Get over yourself, you know I'm right. OP can park where she likes, you know it, I know it, they know it and their boss knows it. The ranting is from the crazy people who think OP should care!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The OP should care that as many customers can come to their business as possible. That's if they care about their job.

OP if you have safety concerns then raise them What are they? Maybe we can help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Awful rant? Get over yourself, you know I'm right. OP can park where she likes, you know it, I know it, they know it and their boss knows it. The ranting is from the crazy people who think OP should care!

You are right that the OP can park where they like, but wrong that they shouldn't care.

Take a walk down any high street, count the shops etc, count how many cars the employees etc would have and then count how many spaces are available.

Now if the OP stated the owner was parking outside too then they would have a reasonable complaint.

• Advertisement

Until not enough can find parking and decide it's easier to shop elsewhere and the business closes?

Sure, the whole company will be brought down by one employee legally parking her car.
    Do you hear yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Who wants employees that have that attitude?

Its no different to people parking in the disabled spaces in private car parks because there is no law against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sure, the whole company will be brought down by one employee legally parking her car.
    Do you hear yourself?

If all the staff took that attitude then there would be nowhere for the customers to park and I’m no big business man but I suspect that a business with no customers is unlikely to be a business for long. It’s also very unlikely that a closed business would continue paying the OP after it closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

NSAman wrote: »
    Who cares... move your damned car and stop annoying your employer and many other businesses because she is “entitled” to park there....

It matters.

We have one life (as far as we know).

If you're living in a small town, miserable, and "my employer wants to dictate my parking space" is a problem, than you need to seriously change your life.

I live in Japan and this sort of **** is so far away from my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Mech1

doolox wrote: »
    ...and drive all his stock into town on different days and confuse the hell out of the boss....

Different day different car.

Thats not my car.

Done that for 6 months in N Ireland, it was a safety requirement in my personal life at the time. Gets old very fast changing cars, bringing sunglasses chewing gum, cassettes (at the time) with every change.

my3cents wrote: »
    Who wants employees that have that attitude?

Its no different to people parking in the disabled spaces in private car parks because there is no law against it.

I want employees with that attitude: that of going about their own business legally and quietly and not being cowed by tinpot dicators. Yes please.

Its nothing at all like parking in a disabled spot, an inane comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jesus, first world problems- the employer can't force you to park further away but in your career interests and interests of the business that depends on custimers to pay your wages then absoltely move. Think of the exercise and health benefits of the little daily walk also. Parking outside premises is a neccessity for many small business to survive and function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I want employees with that attitude: that of going about their own business legally and quietly and not being cowed by tinpot dicators. Yes please.

So you made it back OP?

my3cents wrote: »
    So you made it back OP?

You're confused petal, I'm not the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

If you care about yourself only, you are right. You can park where you want as it is legal.

But if you take the bigger picture, then it is different. Imagine everyone doing the same. You cannot deny that the business would have less customers and you know what happens next.

Advertisement