Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer dictating where I can park

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

FelaniaMump clearly a troll... look at the username

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

CeceP wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe how many people are telling you to just listen to your employer who is completely out of order! It is absolutely none of his business if you park on street parking. You are not HIS property, you are employed to carry out a specific job within a specific timeframe and thats it. So many Irish employers are incredibly bullying compared to other countries and the Irish people seem to just accept it, like we are not worth any better. I would tell my employer that it is my right to park on free street parking and continue to do my job in a professional manner. If he/she decides to mistreat you or fire you as a result of that, then you can take him to court. This issue is about your dignity and self respect and standing up for your rights and hopefully you do just that.

This is a local initiative from the local Chamber of Commerce to try to improve everybody's life. In small towns an average shop might be two cars wide. If every employee of every shop parked their cars on the street then that leaves zero space for any customers. Zero customers is not good for business obviously. Her employer is certainly not bullying her - if anything he is trying to protect his livelihood - and HERS !!
    I love how its the minimum waged worker who is responsible for her corporate overloads customers parking and subsquent profits. You fellas have really done a number on yourselves with your incredibly low expectations for yourself and therefore other wage slaves.

OP, its not your issue. You can park where you like, you do your job for little pay and its not in any way your problem where customers can and can't park.

…..until they can't park and decide to go elsewhere and leave the OP with no job. You do realise that those profits are what goes to pay her wages ?
    This is small town Ireland BTW so 'Corporate Overlords' is probably overstating things just a little bit.

I'm also curious about this car park but the OP has disappeared so probably won't get an answer. How far away is it and is it actually unsafe or does the OP just 'feel' that it's unsafe ? Big difference. Normal retail hours would mean that most local staff would be coming and going at around the same time so I can't see that it would be that unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If someone is a bit late on the odd occasion and needs to park outside work to be there on time I don't think anyone would complain particularly if they then moved the car during their break.

On the other hand I can see that some people would take the easy option and do that every day of the week and think nothing of it.

That said I know what cars a few of the shop owners in the local town drive and its no surprise that some of them are so stupid as to complain about the reduction of on street parking and then to park outside their own shops all day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I hate these threads where the OP just cuts and runs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I hate these threads where the OP just cuts and runs

Presumably didn’t get the answer they expected and wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

You are taking this personal.

So, I cant figure out if you are thick about the whole thing and saying the parking facility is unsafe to be a thorn. Or if the parking facility is genuinely unsafe (and if it is unsafe, yes youve a valid point, but have gone about this the wrong way).

I dont think the manager is incorrect to ask you not to park there or to move, in order to try get some more business.

What they asked was reasonable. How youve reacted is not reasonable. I do think its very bold and child-like/sulky to keep parking there, without having brought this up with your manager or the council how unsafe you feel.

"You cant stop me parking there" versus "I hear what you are saying about parking there and it's a good point, but to be honest, I feel very unsafe walking in/to the car park - what can be done/I need help with this?" are two very different conversations.

BTW, saying you "pay taxes" just p*sses everyone off. Ill assume I pay more taxes than you. If you want to go down that road. Does it entitle you to something that the rest of the country dont know about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

doolox wrote: »
    If you are parking in a public space with no price restrictions or privileges for employee parking how on earth does the employer know you are parking where you are parking???

I realise that off street private parking can imply that an employer may ask you to register your car registration with the relevant security working on a private site but I did not know if such obligations exist on a public street.

Challenge you boss the next time the subject is raised.

How do you know it is my car?

Deny it is your car.

The boss cannot get registration details from the guards or any other local authority by GDPR.

Claim that your brother/aunt/ uncle etc may have driven in and parked in a public space as is their right.

For heaven sake be careful to drive off at end of work without any nosy parker spotting you and reporting you to the boss........

Massively, please do not do any of the above, what garbage.

Advertisement