Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter Cabinet advice

Options
  • 21-12-2018 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice for a friend. They've just had their house rewired. The electrician has tried to just run his mains cable to the existing cabinet outside.
    The problem is the existing cabinet is a recessed cabinet, and it's flush mounted. It's also 300mm from the ground to the bottom of the cabinet. So not the 1000mm minimum.
    The cable also has no mechanical protection. It just comes out of the house, has a few loops and enters the mater cabinet.
    I'm right to think there's no way the ESB will connect this, amn't I?
    And if the cabinet is too low, the ESB cable probably isn't long enough to extend to the higher cabinet, so will the ESB extend or will a new duct need to be ran to the pole on the street?
    Friend seems to think his electrician knows what he's doing, and says that as it's a rewire the old cabinet is fine and doesn't need to be changed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Apart from looking horrendous it sounds like very substandard work by a REC. I was hoping that these days were behind us. I would also wonder what other corners have been cut that are not so apparent. As the house has been rewired the correct course of action would have been to install a new meter cabinet in the correct location.

As the cable had no mechanical protection it is unsafe and against regulations, so I wouldn’t think it wise to connect it regardless of what the ESB’s take on this is, it depends on the individual on the day. This is simply a bad idea.

The ESB may take the view that it is not their responsibility as it is on the customers side.

What type of cable is it? Many without mechanical protection are not UV resistant.

Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It looks to be standard T&E 16Sq. I didn't get a photo as it was night time when I was there.
    I'd be worried about the standard of the other work myself. A lot of the lighting isn't finished off, fittings and switches, and not all the sockets are fitted. But apparently all insulation resistance tests are done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Effects wrote: »
    It looks to be standard T&E 16Sq. I didn't get a photo as it was night time when I was there.

Disappointing that a REC would do this. The cable will deteriorate as it is not UV resistant. This really needs to be addressed.
    I'd be worried about the standard of the other work myself. A lot of the lighting isn't finished off, fittings and switches, and not all the sockets are fitted. But apparently all insulation resistance tests are done.

It sounds unfinished and sub standard. The insulation resistance test is only one of a number of tests that need to be carried out. I would get the entire installation inspected if it was mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It must be unfinished. Hard to imagine anyone intending leaving the main cable outside as a finished job.

Are they using it as a temporary supply while work goes on?

Anything is possible, but ive never seen anyone leave a T&E mains just hanging down outside the wall on a finished job.

No, as far as I'm aware the electrician has finished it and is waiting on ESB to connect as it is right now.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Are they using it as a temporary supply while work goes on?

No, they already have the temp supply connected, which is the old cable from the meter cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It would be an interesting photo so.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I would like to see a picture. I rewired houses all the time. It's up to the esb if they want to move the meter box they usually don't. It's more work for them and if it's in a housing estate space would be a problem. If it's an old house neigbours do share neutrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That sounds totally substandard.

You might want to be looking at checking the EC's credentials and reporting?

It just doesn't seem like something a qualified electrician, working to code, would do.

I wouldn't rely on the ESB Networks connection going ahead to be the sole safety check.

The ESB refused to connect it when they came out. Friends husband is quite controlling and thinks he know everything. I'm not going to suggest checking over the rest of the installation, it wouldn't go down well with him.
    They've made a number of costly mistakes all through the job as he wouldn't listen to anyone except the architect.

• Advertisement

keithdub wrote: »
    I would like to see a picture. I rewired houses all the time. It's up to the esb if they want to move the meter box they usually don't.

So the ESB are fine with non regulation meter boxes being used on rewires that don't conform to regs? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Effects wrote: »
    The ESB refused to connect it when they came out. Friends husband is quite controlling and thinks he know everything. I'm not going to suggest checking over the rest of the installation, it wouldn't go down well with him.
    They've made a number of costly mistakes all through the job as he wouldn't listen to anyone except the architect.

I'd just point out it's a criminal offence for anyone other than a registered electrical contractor (REC) to carry out 'controlled works', which includes pretty much everything to do with adding new circuits to a distribution board / fuse box. It is illegal to carry out major rewiring work or wire your own house here, unless you are an REC.

I assume a completion certificate was provided to ESB Networks by a REC?

I would also assume if the works were so substandard that they refused a connection, they'll have flagged it with the body that issued the certificate.

The personality of the person involved is not relevant.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I assume a completion certificate was provided to ESB Networks by a REC?
    I'd assume so, yeah. Unless the ESB are in the habit of connecting tails to meters with just a phone call request.
    I would also assume if the works were so substandard that they refused a connection, they'll have flagged it with the body that issued the certificate.

I think they just said it had to be remedied. They didn't say anything about reporting it to RECI.
    The personality of the person involved is not relevant.
    Not relevant to you, and not relevant to me.
    If it was my house, I'd be pretty sure I wouldn't want it wired incorrectly.
    But he seems to think everything is done correctly and to the best standards, even when it's pointed out that it's not the case.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'd just point out it's a criminal offence for anyone other than a registered electrical contractor (REC) to carry out 'controlled works'

It is abundantly clear that the work in question has been carried out by a REC.

Advertisement