Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apply for job with recruiter who works for current company

Options
  • 21-12-2018 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

There is a job I am interested in, on the market with just one recruiter.
    The recruiter placed me in my current role 3 years ago, and works extensively for my current company.

Is there a significant risk they will just inform my current company that Im applying for new roles? I dont want this as its never good for an employer to know you are trying to leave.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I wouldn't think so tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

The recruiter placed me in my current role 3 years ago, and works extensively for my current company.

Is there a significant risk they will just inform my current company that Im applying for new roles? I dont want this as its never good for an employer to know you are trying to leave.

Extremely unlikely and would be very unprofessional. I have applied for roles with recruiter that placed me in current role and works extensively for my department - including working with me to find candidates even though I am interviewing with him for other roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It is quite normal for someone after three years to look for a new job. If I were you I would have no problem contacting the recruiter.

Do it by phone if you want to minimise a paper trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Years ago, I was hired (through a recruitment company) for a 6 month contract. The week after the initial contract ended, the recruitment company called me to offer another job. I told them my contract had been extended and was staying put. The recruiter basically didn’t care as they’d gotten their payment/bonus once I passed 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Go for it. I doubt the recruiter will contact your employer who they also deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Leinsterfan18

It would be highly unprofessional of the recruiter to do this and not in their interests at all. If this is an experienced recruiter then I'm sure they'll have come across this scenario previously.

Its the recruiters goal to find the right fit for the company they are recruiting for, that's how they get commission and what their paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Stanford

As Leinsterfan says, why would the recruiter jeopardise his commission by hampering your possible move? He gets nothing if you stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Have a conversation with the recruiter, it could be in their terms that they will not engage with any of your employer's employees, however, usually the case is that if you approach the recruiter about a role then it's fair game.
    Any recruiter won't tell your current employer either, it gains nothing and isn't worth the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Why would the recruiter want to screw with "double commission".

He would get commission for placing you in your new job, and then commission for filling your (soon to be) former job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why would the recruiter want to screw with "double commission".

He would get commission for placing you in your new job, and then commission for filling your (soon to be) former job.

Absolutely this. My recruiter placed me in a job in 2017 and after the first 6 months was up (which I assumed was when they got the remainder of their placement cheque from my employer), she was on to me again asking was I interested in other roles in other companies even though they continue to have extensive and lucrative business with my current company. There is no loyalty in the recruitment industry when it comes to how much commission they can earn!

OP - your recruiter will be delighted to speak to you as you have a proven track record with one of their client companies they already placed you in so you don't have to go through the usual background checks all over again etc with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ongarboy wrote: »
    Absolutely this. My recruiter placed me in a job in 2017 and after the first 6 months was up (which I assumed was when they got the remainder of their placement cheque from my employer), she was on to me again asking was I interested in other roles in other companies even though they continue to have extensive and lucrative business with my current company. There is no loyalty in the recruitment industry when it comes to how much commission they can earn!

OP - your recruiter will be delighted to speak to you as you have a proven track record with one of their client companies they already placed you in so you don't have to go through the usual background checks all over again etc with them.

I think the OP is fine, if anything the recruitment agency might ask the OP not to mention to his employer he was placed by them as they may not want to upset the applecart with what seems like an important client.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Would it be a breach of GDPR if they told your current employer that you had applied for somewhere else? I would have thought so.

Advertisement