Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesnt Dublin have a proper christmas market?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The ones over here are horrible, packed yokes selling the biggest load of overpriced tat ever. This manc sums them up well but he is a bit moany. Although they have being packed for the past 2 weeks now so must be cleaning up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If there's any risk it would turn out like the soulless, depressing borefest down near CHQ a few years ago, then we're better off without. I think Dublin really fails at Christmas tbh and I feel sorry for anyone coming here with expectations of a great Christmas experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RasTa wrote: »
    The ones over here are horrible, packed yokes selling the biggest load of overpriced tat ever. This manc sums them up well but he is a bit moany. Although they have being packed for the past 2 weeks now so must be cleaning up

miserable knob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

RasTa wrote: »

I know hes just trying to be helpful but nobody goes to christmas markets for good value gluewein and bratwursts, everyone knows theres places in the same cities with better quality wine and hot dogs or whatever for better value but the point is its in a fun little cute christmassy atmospheric market village that you can spend the evening at

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I usually end up on holiday somewhere with Christmas markets in early December every year, even without trying. The standard thing is that you wander around for ages, have some awful mulled wine - usually laced with the local cheap liqueur too, maybe buy some marzipan and generally "feel Christmassy". I've never bought anything dearer than the laced mulled wine, which is normally awful

But it gets tourists in at a time of year that's otherwise death for tourism. Its not why I go to those cities but there are people (my mother) who do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

lawred2 wrote: »
    miserable knob

He's an absolute knob end with his "somewhere in the EU" brexiteer bollocks.

He does raise an issue though which is worth considering and that is the relative price of Xmas market food (as opposed to local produce) and the quality of food served.

Christmas markets are not a British/Irish thing. They're predominantly German which have now spread across the continent. . . Indeed the same could be said for Xmas itself.

If Xmas markets are going to succeed then prices have to match those in Germany where €2.50 for a mulled wine and €3-4 for a bratwurst are normal prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

They are hipster crap though. The food is awful. Nothing "craft" about it. Mass produced crap for the stupid. The same suppliers are at the Bray air show. Muck.

And "Artisan" ! Dont get me started on that. They should Google the definition of artisan.

Working in a Subway on a J1 in the US does not make you an artisan sandwich maker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Because Dublin City Council have granted permits to the dodgiest stalls all along Henry Street, selling nothing but fake, landfill rubbish.

The whole thing stinks. Corruption/intimidation is obviously rife.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Because Dublin City Council have granted permits to the dodgiest stalls all along Henry Street, selling nothing but fake, landfill rubbish.

The whole thing stinks. Corruption/intimidation is obviously rife.

I always wonder about that.. it's just stall after stall of clearly counterfeit goods... We've a strange attitude to law and order in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I always wonder about that.. it's just stall after stall of clearly counterfeit goods... We've a strange attitude to law and order in Ireland.

Me too...you hear of customs or whoever doing seizures of fake goods- that are openly on sale on the country’s main shopping street! Beside shops selling the same non fake stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There was one a few years ago in the kilmainham gardens. As has been mentioned previously, it's the cost of everything at it that puts people off. Hot chocolate: €6. Do you want marshmallows? Another €2 (for small paper cups so not these giant fancy looking things).
    Photo with santa? €25

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

L1011 wrote: »
    Because we don't have a suitable central open space for one. If College Green ever gets done we will

Smithfield...?

Smithfield...?

Smithfield is perfect for an all year around enclosed market which would not only help local businesses but boost tourism and Dublin as a whole. . . There are many similar markets in Florence and other major Italian/European cities.

But getting the dumb asses which pass for government in Ireland to act on that . . . That's a near impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They're terrorist magnets nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Smithfield is perfect for an all year around enclosed market which would not only help local businesses but boost tourism and Dublin as a whole. . . There are many similar markets in Florence and other major Italian/European cities.

But getting the dumb asses which pass for government in Ireland to act on that . . . That's a near impossibility.

Newmarket was also another obvious place that had one and now its been evicted, when it should have been given a nice purpose built facility

For some reason Dublin just doesnt do markets, they are such a nice thing that thrive in most western cities but we just cant seem to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes indoor markets like the one in Florence or Madrid would be perfect in Smithfield. Or the CHQ building. With a space for music/buskers to play. But the vinters and others would probably lobby to object and prevent it ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

+1 for the Flea Market at the Point. I'd love to see it become a more permanent fixture. Some great stalls with crafts/artists/food/gifts. Very well organised and a great vibe around the place.

Yes indoor markets like the one in Florence or Madrid would be perfect in Smithfield. Or the CHQ building. With a space for music/buskers to play. But the vinters and others would probably lobby to object and prevent it ever happening.

Can even come closer to home for examples i.e. Cork's English market

Can even come closer to home for examples i.e. Cork's English market

Cork's English market is small relative to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Pkiernan wrote: »

Hyperbolé much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Pkiernan wrote: »

Hyperbolé much?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smithfield...?

Not central. Neither is Newmarket

Cork's English market is small relative to others.

Not sure what your point is

Does that make it any less a successful indoor market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Christmas markets are crap. Full of tat that can probably be picked in a pound shop for a fraction of the price and the usual Bratwurst, mulled wine, chocolate fountain nonsense.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Christmas markets are crap. Full of tat that can probably be picked in a pound shop for a fraction of the price and the usual Bratwurst, mulled wine, chocolate fountain nonsense.

Yea. . . too right.

Who needs mulled wine & bratwurst when you've got wrapping paper and toblerones?

Advertisement