Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to Brazil, 1h 20m layover enough?

Options
  • 22-12-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I'll be going to Brazil in March and am currently looking at flights.
    The flights I am looking at:

Dublin to Amsterdam
    Amsterdam to Sao Paolo
    With a 1h 20m layover in Amsterdam.

I have never travelled using a connecting flight. I am also unsure if I will have to pass through immigration in Amsterdam since I will be entering South America.

Both flights are with KLM, so I'm hoping I won't have to dispatch my check in bag twice. Hoping it will follow me from Dublin to Sao Paolo.

Is 1h 20m enough?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Assuming your flight from Dublin gets there on time, that's usually plenty of time in Amsterdam. Your bag will be transferred for you and you don't need to go through any security or immigration checks. You usually take a bus from the plane to the terminal and then it's about 10 minutes walk to your next gate.

But there's always small a chance that you or your bag misses the connection, so if you absolutely must be in Sao Paulo on that day, then book a longer connection so that you don't get stressed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If flights are booked on one ticket the airline will put you on next available flight even if you miss your initial booked flight.

In Amsterdam you will follow "connecting flights" sign upon leaving plane. Will have to show passport more than likely before being allowed enter the section of the airport where international flights leave..but that will usually be a machine that scans passport and takes 10 seconds.

Bags will be checked through all the way to your final destination, it's very rare you need to pick up bags and put them through again if you are flying same airline/code share partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It should be grand. As above they’ll put you in the next flight if you miss it. They may also meet you off the plane and rush you through if the Dublin flight lands late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

ted1 wrote: »
    It should be grand. As above they’ll put you in the next flight if you miss it. They may also meet you off the plane and rush you through if the Dublin flight lands late

next AVAILABLE flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

For DUB - AMS - GRU

There will be no passport or security check in AMS just a walk from the arrival gate to the departure gate, its nice and simple.

The minimum connection time in AMS is 40 minutes so you are well above this, the KLM crew will likely make a PA listing the gates for all connection flights

On the way back you WILL pass through security

• Advertisement
Advertisement