Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Ruined by Dog

Options
  • 22-12-2018 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I am looking for tips and tricks to restore my grass to its former glory. Initially it was nothing special and that didn't bother me. Now, due to a large 60kg hyper dog his "run" has effectively turned into a mud path. This causes him to walk mud into the house constantly aswell as the garden looking awful.

The garden is on a slight slope but nothing too extreme.

Can anyone provide any tips or tricks or a methodology to get the grass back.

I am willing to train the dog to stay off the grass and only allow him onto the concrete slabs we have at the backdoor. He is exercised with twice daily walks but with the weather, his size and his speed the grass is losing the battle.

What do I need to do to get the grass back
    ?! I think it is too late to put seed down?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rake or scrape the 'path' level and smooth. Throw down a bit of seed if you like but it will be a weather dictated gamble whether it grows. Put down a bit more when the spring warms the ground a bit. Keep the dog off it. This should give you average quality all-over grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. How big is your garden I have 2 big dogs who destroyed one side of a garden by running up and down it after a neighbour's dog. There is no way a dog can be trained to stay off grass, my 2 would stay away from the run when we were home but as soon as we left they were on it. I tried re seeding the area but the grass never got a chance to grow with the constant traffic, fencing off the area wasn't an option as it's an acre garden and there run was a good 100 yards, so in the spring I dug up the whole length of the run and replaced the muck with wood chippings giving them a clean run that's about a metre wide and can easily be raked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Astroturf or some sort of fake grass may be the worth checking out

Advertisement